Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor charged 60c for internet I never opted into

Options
  • 08-04-2011 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

Found out today that my partner has been charged 60c daily since Nov for this internet add on that he has never used, or never opted in to use.

He called meteor and they said that they would cancel it on their end. He asked to be reimbursed and they told him that they couldnt because he never opted out of the service. He argued that he never opted into it in the first place and the lady said it must have been automatically opted in when he bought the new phone and the store should have told you this when you bought it but they obviously didnt.

What is the comeback here? Sounds way too underhanded to me. Surely they are liable to reimburse him for this as he was never aware he was automatically opted into the service in the first place.

Do I tell him to go to Comreg or higher up in Meteor or what?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

When he bought the phone, he probably signed a contract or T&Cs. What does it say on that document?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Meteor don't sell internet addons, they do charge around 60c when you use 3g services on PAYG and if something on your partners phone was accessing the 3g network that would be his responsibility to deactivate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

It's not a matter of opting in, it's paying for a service that was used.

The phone obviously has something running that requires a data connection; does it have a weather app/display for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭T-rev

its a pay as you go phone. they even said to him we can see you didnt use it at all but we cant refund you. cowboys if you ask me.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Even if 1kb is accessed there's a default charge of 60c which afaik gives you 50MB to play with each day after which you pay per kb.

If he didn't use the internet access then he wouldn't have been charged, as he did use the service (even if it was 1kb) Meteor have a legal right to charge for the service that it used. Refund would be appropriate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭T-rev

thanks.

Advertisement