Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crying dog at night

• 08-04-2011 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sparky89

Hi

I just adopted a dog 4 days ago
    The dog is a lad cross and is 10 weeks old

Over all the dog is quiet and is well behaved but at night its like she turns into a wolf and just howls all night as loud as she can
    But as soon as someone comes out to her she stops and goes asleep
    I have been tough with her and out her into the kitchen when going to bed and i dont make contact with her till i get up the next day even when she is crying

If anyone could give me some information on how to get her to stop or even just quiet down abit

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭mano79

Try putting in a hot water bottle at night. Make it quite warm but wrap a towel/pillow case around it to stop puppy getting burned. It has worked for me twice with new pups, stops the howling and sets them off to sleep quick. Good luck;);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭happy hotspur

Hi OP maybe you could try the following

-leaving on the radio on a talk station

-leave on a lamp or kitchen light as the dog may have been used to this from before.

-giving the dog a good walk just before bed time to tire her out

-put her to bed maybe an hour or so before you go and maybe then she will nod off

-leave a piece of your clothing in her bedding so she can smell your scent

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sparky89

You could try leaving on the radio on a talk station and/or leave on a lamp or kitchen as the dog may have been used to this from before.

We leave a little telly on for him and a night light lamp
    and thats not working :confused:

We leave a little telly on for him and a night light lamp
    and thats not working

You could always do like we do with our bichons - give in and let them sleep on the bed lol!!!!

We leave a little telly on for him

Just a quick thought I had there regarding the tv. Is it possible the channel that is left on shuts down at some time during the night as sometimes these can just be a "snowy screen" with a high pitched noise which would drive anyone crazy.

• Advertisement

You could always do like we do with our bichons - give in and let them sleep on the bed lol!!!!

As much as i would love to do that i cant
    I have a cat sleeping on the pillow with me as it is so i wouldnt get a wink of sleep with a dog at my feet lol

Just a quick thought I had there regarding the tv. Is it possible the channel that is left on shuts down at some time during the night as sometimes these can just be a "snowy screen" with a high pitched noise which would drive anyone crazy.

Our telly has a vague high pitched noise all the time, standard switched-on noise, maybe try leaving it off instead?

I would also suggest the hot water bottle in sheets!

No its left on all night, I dont have a timer on it

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

sparky89 wrote: »
    Hi

I just adopted a god 4 days ago

:D

MajorMax wrote: »
    Hi

I just adopted a god 4 days ago

:D

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

No its left on all night, I dont have a timer on it
    think what they meant was do you leave a station on that closes down at a certain time. you know the way some are open all night then you have some like, i think, tv3 that shut about 3.

think what they meant was do you leave a station on that closes down at a certain time. you know the way some are open all night then you have some like, i think, tv3 that shut about 3.

I do leave it on sky news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

You need to be really tough with her and stop going out to her when she cries as she knows the crying is getting her attention so she will just keep crying.
    Let her cry and she will eventually realise it will get her no where and it will stop. It could take a few sleepless nights though but it will stop.

You have to remember she is only 10 weeks too so will take a few weeks,even months to get into a routine so patience and consistancy is the key but do not go to her when she is crying.

Also, just wondering, is she in a crate or loose? She could also be crying for the toilet if she isnt being let out as she cant hold it in for very long.

andreac wrote: »
    You need to be really tough with her and stop going out to her when she cries as she knows the crying is getting her attention so she will just keep crying.
    Let her cry and she will eventually realise it will get her no where and it will stop. It could take a few sleepless nights though but it will stop.

You have to remember she is only 10 weeks too so will take a few weeks,even months to get into a routine so patience and consistancy is the key but do not go to her when she is crying.

Also, just wondering, is she in a crate or loose? She could also be crying for the toilet if she isnt being let out as she cant hold it in for very long.

I havnt given into her yet
    She is loose, has the hole kitchen to herself with a bed
    We bring her for a quick run around the garden before she goes to be and the we put newspaper all over the floor before she goes to bed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

I heard before that putting a small clock into a sock and putting it into their bed helps as it might remind them of their mother's/brothers'/sisters' heartbeats and help them to nod off.

number10a wrote: »
    I heard before that putting a small clock into a sock and putting it into their bed helps as it might remind them of their mother's/brothers'/sisters' heartbeats and help them to nod off.

I never heard that one before, I might give it a try:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Well you will just have to hang in there. Its only been 4 days so you need to give the pup a chance to settle in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

OP you might find that a crate makes her feel more secure and helps her to settle - it worked with our guy. Also they generally won't go to the loo in the same area that they sleep in so she may be crying to go out to the loo rather than go inside near her bed. I used to have to take my guy out once during the night for wee/poopoo patrol but he was house trained by 2 or 3 months.

tk123 wrote: »
    OP you might find that a crate makes her feel more secure and helps her to settle - it worked with our guy. Also they generally won't go to the loo in the same area that they sleep in so she may be crying to go out to the loo rather than go inside near her bed. I used to have to take my guy out once during the night for wee/poopoo patrol but he was house trained by 2 or 3 months.

Thank you for your advise, she is very good at the toilet training, only had 2 or 3 misses but apart from that she goes on the newspaper

I didnt no dogs didnt go toilet near there sleeping area, I will bring her out to go to the toilet during the night tonight and see does that make a difference.

:)

Advertisement