Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

good weather and fair winds

• 08-04-2011 1:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭

It looks like the first really good weekend of the season is here. Just remember to check the boat before launching if you haven't used it since last year. I know of one boat that was launched with a wasps nest in it. Other things to bear in mind

1:The bung, I find boats float better without reverse drainage.
    2:Check oil level, fuel, and cooling before heading away from the slip. If the fuels been in the can since last year make sure it's still ok to use and if 2-stroke oil is in it shake it well.
    3:Make sure you have lifejackets, radios, flares and any other safety gear you need. When sailing if I come across someone needing a tow or hand without safety gear they owe me more pints for the tow.
    4:Let someone know where you're going and when you'll be back, this could save you a long boring wait as no doubt your phone/radio will have died if anything goes wrong.
    5:It's still cold on the water this time of year so despite sunshine bring something warm. An old sea dog used to tell me "it's better to be looking at it than for it"

Enjoy the weekend and remember to wash out wheel bearings at the end of the day.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Skuxx

It looks like the first really good weekend of the season is here. Just remember to check the boat before launching if you haven't used it since last year. I know of one boat that was launched with a wasps nest in it. Other things to bear in mind

2:Check oil level, fuel, and cooling before heading away from the slip. If the fuels been in the can since last year make sure it's still ok to use and if 2-stroke oil is in it shake it well.
    3:Make sure you have lifejackets, radios, flares and any other safety gear you need. When sailing if I come across someone needing a tow or hand without safety gear they owe me more pints for the tow.
    4:Let someone know where you're going and when you'll be back, this could save you a long boring wait as no doubt your phone/radio will have died if anything goes wrong.
    5:It's still cold on the water this time of year so despite sunshine bring something warm. An old sea dog used to tell me "it's better to be looking at it than for it"

Enjoy the weekend and remember to wash out wheel bearings at the end of the day.

Good post Pigeon Reaper, hopefuly you'll have a good weekend out on the water!! I'd love to be heading away myself only my boat is missing its gearbox at the moment, had to take it off to change a leaking seal!! Hopefully get out next weekend instead!!

Engine without gearbox
    IMG_0049.jpg

Gearbox (f*cking thing weighs a ton!!)
    IMG_0044.jpg

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I know how it feels Alan I have just finished doing one up and had to carry it through the house, not fun :eek: Here is a link that may help. http://www.kp44.org/ftp/VelvetDriveServiceManual.pdf
    DSC00914.jpg

Good posting Pigeon reaper.

fergal.b wrote: »
    I know how it feels Alan I have just finished doing one up and had to carry it through the house, not fun :eek: Here is a link that may help. http://www.kp44.org/ftp/VelvetDriveServiceManual.pdf
    Fergal your an absolute legend, saved me no end of guess work and hoping everything was put back the way it came off!!

Quick question Fergal, did you change the two oil seals on the gear box you did up, one is at the front and the other at the back behind the coupling (#3 and #105 on the parts list in that manual) Did you have any difficulty finding replacement parts?

Alan

• Advertisement

So managed to get the replacement oil seals, fit them and re-install the gearbox yesterday!! Everything going swimmingly! Took her out for a quick spin, first run of the season, pump out some of the bilge water etc....10 minutes out and a complete loss of any drive from the gearbox!! Checked the ATF level and it was empty, nearly 1.5l in 10 minutes leaked out!! Luckily had another bottle of ATF with us and managed to fill her and get home!! Obviously the wrong friggin seal so gearbox coming out again tomorrow evening!!!
    While out on the lake refilling the gearbox with ATF I noticed a small but constant flow of water coming out the top of the drive shaft coupling, when we took out the gearbox we had to push the drive shaft aft to get the gearbox off the mounts on the bell housing and when we pulled it forward again we must have disturbed some sort of seal!! All in all a fairly sh1t day but thats why I love boating, always something to be playing around with!!!

/rant over lads, sorry I'm not usually this cranky, honestly!! :p

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Sorry to hear that, but at least you got back to shore that's the main thing.
    Boats you got to love them or they will drive you mad and empty your pockets.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

alan1990 wrote: »
    All in all a fairly sh1t day but thats why I love boating, always something to be playing around with!!!

A bad day on the water is better than a good day at the office :)

alexlyons wrote: »
    A bad day on the water is better than a good day at the office :)

Very true, I'd rather be out on the water any day!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

Me too! So therefore the water is my office :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement