Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decking!

• 08-04-2011 1:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

I am entertaining the idea of decking my roof top garden. Currently laid with slabs I was wonder if anyone would have a rough idea as to how much it may cost to deck an area roughly 9m x 5m?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

Totally depends on what material you use.
    Timber or composite.

For maintenence alone I would recommend a composite but of course it is more expensive. At about 45m2 you would be looking at about 3k for deck boards.
    Timber would probably be about 1/3rd of that price but would involve yearly maintenance.
    I have had both and would go for composite now every time.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭memomy

Cheers for that Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Wigster

I have the same area to deck and was thinking of composite. Mike what would you go for in composite (i.e. solid/hollow) and best manufacture.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Wigster wrote: »
    I have the same area to deck and was thinking of composite. Mike what would you go for in composite (i.e. solid/hollow) and best manufacture.

also do you gor for composite everything? or just some of the structure? i.e. what about hand rails? ballusters? support posts? beams? joists?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Irish Fire

dnme wrote: »
    also do you gor for composite everything? or just some of the structure? i.e. what about hand rails? ballusters? support posts? beams? joists?

I fitted a simple deck for a friend last weekend I did the frame in treated timber and the rest in composite it's well sheltered but the composite is mad expensive but look great, belt of the pressure washer every year.... job done!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

what is composite? :s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Sparkpea wrote: »
    what is composite? :s

Wood-plastic composites. A mix of wood and plastics. I first seen it in the US about 10 years ago. It still does soak water due to it having some organic elements, but it isnt near as reactive as ordinary timber deck.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭kitchens decks

you also need to consider if you get prices they may ad on a little more because of the location (roof top) is access to the roof tight ? stairs? 16ft timbers will prob be used your covering a big area alot of material will need to be brought up there

Advertisement