Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking outside Social Welfare office

• 08-04-2011 1:17pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭

Surely something has to be done about it. Had to spend a wonderful morning down there today and had to park on a double yellow around the corner, the council must be making thousands a week from parking tickets down there.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

You didn't HAVE to park on a double yellow line. I was signing on for a year and I always used one of the multi story car parks (Usually Thomas St). There are also plenty of disk parking spaces on the streets on and around Cecil St.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭mark1974

Why HAD you to park on a double yellow line? Car park in thomas/roches st less than 5 min walk away. So is the one in train station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,341 ✭✭✭✭phog

Parking around the offices seems to be crazy alright but how does that give you the right to park illegally. One law for them and one for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

There is a certain irony though!
    The state decides to give you the absolute minimum to survive per week, then take some back because you parked wrong :)

and lets not jump down his throat for having a car while on the dole, its been done lots before, cars are a necessity for many people!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

phill106 wrote: »
    There is a certain irony though!
    The state decides to give you the absolute minimum to survive per week, then take some back because you parked wrong :)

and lets not jump down his throat for having a car while on the dole, its been done lots before, cars are a necessity for many people!

its not that, theres multistory car parks within a few blocks of there, theres Dunnes, the trainn station, Thomas/Roches St. and Henry St, all a few mins walk away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

If you don't park illegally you won't get a ticket. simples.

It's not an obligation of the dept of social welfare to provide you with a secure parking place when you're signing on. If i'm going someplace in town I'll park legally. I used to be able to park in my work car park but they changed the rules for parking there. So now I go to the nearest car park to where i'm going. There's plenty of them around town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Its the idiots that decide to park and block the whole of the left lane that annoys me. Same with Parnell St. If you did that kind of thing in Cork or Dublin you'd be lifted within ten minutes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I had my daughter with me who is in a cast from her waist to her ankles, i had no buggy(my own fault obviously), i didnt fancy walking from Thomas St or somewhere like that carrying her. It was my first time driving to the office so i wasnt sure if there were double yellows or if on street parking was allowed.

But lets not let any of that get in the way of the people who follow every rule of the road perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

so did you get a ticket?

Nope.

Was just something i was curious about. I parked in the alley to the right of the door(between the office and Costelloes), way down the bottom so i wasnt blocking anything or anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Melion wrote: »
    Nope.

Was just something i was curious about. I parked in the alley to the right of the door(between the office and Costelloes), way down the bottom so i wasnt blocking anything or anyone.

I wouldnt worry about it too much then. Has always seemed to me that the traffic wardens are turning a bit of a blind eye to the area, given the circumstances. Someone who isnt me has parked dodgily there numerous times and been fine.

If you want to park legally, wait it out for a space, or use a carpark, if not, abandon and hope. chances are you'll be fine..

you say something should be done, but something has been done, theres as much legal parking in the area as is possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

I've never seen a traffic warden up around that street, which is odd because at least half the parked cars on the street are breaking the law in one way or other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

Why are there yellow lines up out side the dole office anyway? The only people that seem to park there are people heading into the dole office so they are only obstructing themselves. The dole office is kind of in a corner so its mostly dolees (is that a word) up and around there.

OP you must have had a nightmare waiting around in that place half the day with a child, they don't even have public toilets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Wetbench4 wrote: »
    Why are there yellow lines up out side the dole office anyway? The only people that seem to park there are people heading into the dole office so they are only obstructing themselves. The dole office is kind of in a corner so its mostly dolees (is that a word) up and around there.

OP you must have had a nightmare waiting around in that place half the day with a child, they don't even have public toilets.

The reason there's yellow lines outside the social welfare office is, there is an eircom yard right beside the building, to the left as you look at it. This is where they keep a great many of their vehicles and equipment. The gate beside the social welfare office is the main exit from this yard. So having parking there will block eircom employees from exiting the yard.

EDIT: http://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=52.660834,-8.625745&spn=0.000877,0.002411&t=h&z=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭mike kelly

why cant you walk or get the bus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭The_Dave

Wetbench4 wrote: »

Toilets to the public were available until a certain incident happened, nowadays if you need to use such facilities you may ask the security guards

mike kelly wrote: »
    why cant you walk or get the bus?

Me?
    Why would i when i have a car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

The_Dave wrote: »
    Toilets to the public were available until a certain incident happened, nowadays if you need to use such facilities you may ask the security guards

I had the misfortune to have to claim the dole for a short period recently and had to bring my wee man with me in his buggy and found the security staff extremely helpful in this regard, when he needed the loo and stuff.

Numbers are massive up there at the moment and everyone is doing the best they can.

OP - I know you said car parks were out due to distance, how bout disk parking nearby????
    I hope I haven't misunderstood but I do hope you don't expect the area surrounding the Social Welfare to be exempt from parking laws - it is in the centre of the city.
    Dont mean to sound unsympathetic but I work and can't afford a car - struggle to pay my mortagage as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,341 ✭✭✭✭phog

Melion wrote: »
    Me?
    Why would i when i have a car?

Isn't that the problem, it seems a lot of people calling to the office have cars but there is only limited amount of on street parking nearby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭xxlauraxxox

i got a ticket for parking outside my own front door and i have a permit and it was in date and my car is registered to that address :rolleyes: whats the point of that

im in court on tuesday :) so theyre just handing tickets out ryte left and centre i think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

i got a ticket for parking outside my own front door and i have a permit and it was in date and my car is registered to that address :rolleyes: whats the point of that

im in court on tuesday :) so theyre just handing tickets out ryte left and centre i think

Good luck in court, I hope you are appealing it

Birdie086 wrote: »
    I had the misfortune to have to claim the dole for a short period recently and had to bring my wee man with me in his buggy and found the security staff extremely helpful in this regard, when he needed the loo and stuff.

Numbers are massive up there at the moment and everyone is doing the best they can.

OP - I know you said car parks were out due to distance, how bout disk parking nearby????
    I hope I haven't misunderstood but I do hope you don't expect the area surrounding the Social Welfare to be exempt from parking laws - it is in the centre of the city.
    Dont mean to sound unsympathetic but I work and can't afford a car - struggle to pay my mortagage as it is.

I wasnt expecting it to be exempt from parking laws, i was just wondering if there was any possibility of easing it up a small bit. From what i saw the other day, there is a constant stream of cars parking on double yellows and double parking in the middle of the road. Someone said the Wardens turn a blind eye to the area which is a good thing i suppose.

I work aswell and to be honest, i cant afford my car but its a necessity to ensure i get to see my daughter. I wish i could go without it but unfortunately i cant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭xxlauraxxox

Birdie086 wrote: »
    Good luck in court, I hope you are appealing it

yep i defo am they aint getting no 90e off me for non display of parking disc :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

The_Dave wrote: »

My missus was told they had none when she was up there with our baby.No where to feed or change the baby. Its a disgrace and they do not do a good job up there in my opinion. They are all rude , won't answer the phones and take an hour and half breaks everyday. They look down on you and treat you like your a benefit sponge and its as if its your fault you can't find a job. My missus has numerous degrees and was working most her life. Sorry for my off topic rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

nice to see so many people on the dole can still afford to insure, tax, maintain and put petrol in a car! AND complain about the lack of parking around the dole office...

Ok i know not everyone who goes in there is unemployed, but i'm always shocked at the number of cars abandoned around there while people nip in!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Court for a parking ticket??

Non-display of disc,did you have your permit displayed?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

nice to see so many people on the dole can still afford to insure, tax, maintain and put petrol in a car! AND complain about the lack of parking around the dole office...

Ok i know not everyone who goes in there is unemployed, but i'm always shocked at the number of cars abandoned around there while people nip in!

You see all the scobes of Limerick pulling up in new cars all the time,

high_horse.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

If you think so. I hope with that reply your not trying to justify people being able to afford the luxury of a car when on social welfare.
    Doesn't happen in other countries!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

If you think so. I hope with that reply your not trying to justify people being able to afford the luxury of a car when on social welfare.
    Doesn't happen in other countries!

This is more about your average Joe Soap needing their car as a means of transport. If you're going to make a point about luxury, at least make a distinction and have the cop on not to tar every dole recipient with the same brush.

Advertisement