Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CAGE CONTENDER X : DUBLIN : 23 JULY 2011

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John Ferguson

Really good fight. Both lads are showing major potential

Lol ah c'mon McCabe give us a prediction :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

I really can't decide.

Brian has looked amazingly sharp and has heavy hands.

But Decky is the same. I hear he is doing great things in training.

I don't know that much about Brian's ground but I know Decky has won a wrestling comp and a BJJ comp.

I would have to say it's even enough and one I would be excited to watch

I really can't decide.

Brian has looked amazingly sharp and has heavy hands.

But Decky is the same. I hear he is doing great things in training.

I don't know that much about Brian's ground but I know Decky has won a wrestling comp and a BJJ comp.

I would have to say it's even enough and one I would be excited to watch

You'll end up with splinters if you stay up on that fence any longer LOL :D

Tim_Murphy wrote: »
    You mean do I think Ben will win by left high kick or right? I'm not sure to be honest. :pac:

Just watched the footage from CC8 again, that head kick KO, Jesus Christ!!!!!

Just a quick heads up folks, any of you who get tickets for this event will be eligible for 15% Discount on your ticket to CCXI : Rodriguez v xxxxx : 8 October 2011. This event also sees our Lightweight Champ "Magic" Myles Price v "Stormin" Norman Parke

LIGHTWEIGHT

Pat Sheridan (Kokoro) v Peter Quelly (Waterford MMA)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

LIGHTWEIGHT

i know someone who'll be very excited with this match-up:D

C'mon share the love!! Who???? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

Well apart from the obvious answer, I'm also excited to see this. Plsheridan has great stand up and quelly has a 5 second head kick ko! This is gong to be a great fight.

• Advertisement

CAGE CONTENDER FEATHERWEIGHT TITLE
    "Rowdy" Owen Roddy (SBGi/Primal) v Benjamin "Son of Life" Davis (PBS)

CAGE CONTENDER MIDDLEWEIGHT TITLE
    Chris "The Killing" Fields (SBGi) v John "Wrecking Machine" Redmond (RFA)

BANTAMWEIGHT
    Richie Ivory (Next Gen) v Richie Edgeworth (Ryano)

WELTERWEIGHT
    Tom Sullivan (Spirit MMA) v Kieran Davern (Tuatha de Dannan)

MIDDLEWEIGHT
    Henry "Herculez" Fadipe (Lucan) v Ben Forsyth (Rising Pheonix)

FEATHERWEIGHT
    Decky "The Diamond" Dalton (FAI) v Brian "The Pikeman" Moore (SBGi)

WELTERWEIGHT
    Vlad Malko (Cork City Combat Sambo) v John Ging (Tuatha de Dannan)

LIGHTWEIGHT

LIGHTWEIGHT
    Rob Byrne (Kokoro) v Paddy McBride (Rillion Gracie)

LIGHTWEIGHT
    Stephen Coll (Rillion Gracie) v Kev Young (Krause MMA)

BANTAMWEIGHT
    Blaine O'Driscoll (Lucan) v Joe Roache (Spirit MMA)

WELTERWEIGHT
    James McClarnon (PHK) v Oisin Coburn (Legends)

WELTERWEIGHT

Views on this one folks??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭Kieran81

winner of this one must be close to a crack at the belt

i pick ging by hairstyle :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Cathal's fighting Vlad next weekend at Cage Warriors too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Tito Ortiz

Kieran81 wrote: »
    winner of this one must be close to a crack at the belt

i pick ging by hairstyle :P

Seriously????

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MMAIRELANDFAN

Obvious seen as I said he,s 1 of my favourite fighters

Shazbot wrote: »
    Well apart from the obvious answer, I'm also excited to see this. Plsheridan has great stand up and quelly has a 5 second head kick ko! This is gong to be a great fight.

More than great stand up

He's very well rounded and a total beast and after this I can see him destroying daragh hart after this after seeing hart last night.

• Advertisement

More than great stand up

He's very well rounded and a total beast and after this I can see him destroying daragh hart after this after seeing hart last night.

He is def a rising talent, what do you see as his strengths over Quelly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Hirst1000

Peter is an absolute beast! I'm about his weight but his strength compared to me is unreal...and we all know about his headkicks :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Hirst1000 wrote: »
    Peter is an absolute beast! I'm about his weight but his strength compared to me is unreal...and we all know about his headkicks :D
    He'll be doin well to catch Pat with a headkick. Chap has to be at least 6'1"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Hirst1000

Best thing is he doesn't need too;) He has great stand up all round. Every camp he does he gets way way better!

Tito Ortiz wrote: »
    Seriously????

very serious, 2 guys with about a decade of training each under their belts and serious skills , sure they not comin in with 10 or 15 fights on there record , but when your talkin about the top welterweights in ireland both are right in the mix and i wouldnt call either out of place in a cc title fight , may just wait and see

• Advertisement

WELTERWEIGHT

Both these guys have 1st round submission wins on their records over Tom "The Monster" Sullivan. Ging at 2:00 and Malko at 1:57

Kieran81 wrote: »
    very serious, 2 guys with about a decade of training each under their belts and serious skills , sure they not comin in with 10 or 15 fights on there record , but when your talkin about the top welterweights in ireland both are right in the mix and i wouldnt call either out of place in a cc title fight , may just wait and see

Now I know ur joking,how do u figure Ging with 1 fight and Malko with 2 (I think) are in the mix?

Just on a side note John Donnelly must be next for a title shot ?

no arguing with john donnelly , was thinking after his last win he might be after more "international" type fights as domestic opposition , however talented, just wouldnt catch the eye of US promotions he surely has aspirations of fightin for.

...as for there records , when cathal pendred got his crack at the belt was it not his 4th or 5th fight , wasnt too early for him, brian moore picked up a pro title in his 2nd pro fight after 2 or so years training. if your good enough then your good enough

Totally on the money, JD was next in line and we had loosely agreed that the fight would take place late this year as JD would not be fit to fight in July as we had requested. That is now not the case as John has signed to fight exclusively for Cage Warriors. Although Cathal has also signed to fight for Cage Warriors there is a clause in both his and Chris Fields contract that they can defend their CC Titles.

There are a few lads in the mix for the WW title as I see it. For example Ronan McKay, he beat Lee Chadwick - who beat Cathal. But then Merv Mulholland beat Ronan McKay but Cathal has already beaten Merv. And lets not forget "The Gift" Colin McKee who hasn't lost in his last 8 fights, unbeaten from 2007. And then there are other Welters who have fought and won on the promotion like Arni Issakson, Ali Arish and Warren Kee, not forgetting of course Gunnar Nelson

Totally on the money, JD was next in line and we had loosely agreed that the fight would take place late this year as JD would not be fit to fight in July as we had requested. That is now not the case as John has signed to fight exclusively for Cage Warriors. Although Cathal has also signed to fight for Cage Warriors there is a clause in both his and Chris Fields contract that they can defend their CC Titles.

There are a few lads in the mix for the WW title as I see it. For example Ronan McKay, he beat Lee Chadwick - who beat Cathal. But then Merv Mulholland beat Ronan McKay. And lets not forget "The Gift" Colin McKee who hasn't lost in his last 8 fights, unbeaten from 2007. And then there are other Welters who have fought and won on the promotion like Arni Issakson, Ali Arish and Warren Kee, not forgetting of course Gunnar Nelson

Seen as Tom Egan is not with SBG now and fighting in the States what are the odds af you getting that massive cheque book out and making Tom V Cathal happen ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭tommyl2010

Seen as Tom Egan is not with SBG now and fighting in the States what are the odds af you getting that massive cheque book out and making Tom V Cathal happen ??

tom said he will never fight here again

LIGHTWEIGHT

Paul Hamill (Lucan) v Joe McColgan (Frames Tai Jutsu)

LIGHTWEIGHT

Paul Hamill (Lucan) v Joe McColgan (Frames Tai Jutsu)
    Bout time we got matched up I reckon :D
    Nice one John. Dont see this goin any other way accpet us beatin the crap outta each other

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Moloko17

Nice one John. Dont see this goin any other way accpet us beatin the crap outta each other

Fight of the night all over it

Not to blow smoke Paul but I have wanted to get you both on the promotion for a while, I think the styles will marry well for a cracking scrap!! I thought that Joe was matched on a show weeks before CC but as was pointed out to me by a wise man that wasn't the case (Thank you wise man!). I got the info about 8pm tonight and as they say "was all over it"

lol plus your both popular lads who will bring plenty of fans :D

• Advertisement

There are a few lads in the mix for the WW title as I see it. For example Ronan McKay, he beat Lee Chadwick - who beat Cathal. But then Merv Mulholland beat Ronan McKay but Cathal has already beaten Merv.
    I think Pendred and Merv should happen again. Merv is a totally different fighter the past year. His biggest problem though is hes a tiny WW.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 KDavern

The card looks brilliant so far,gona be a great night!!can't wait ;-)

I think Pendred and Merv should happen again. Merv is a totally different fighter the past year. His biggest problem though is hes a tiny WW.

He is a small WW alright, I always thought he should be a lightweight because his walking weight is about the same as Myles Price. But if he feels comfortable and it suits him!!

KDavern wrote: »
    The card looks brilliant so far,gona be a great night!!can't wait ;-)

Any predictions Kieran?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 KDavern

I predict.......a bloody war!!!! ;-p

Haha, Howd this become a poll?
    Im gonna go with Joe due to DQ for as hamills groin guard was mistaken for a concealed weapon ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Kal_El

tommyl2010 wrote: »
    tom said he will never fight here again

Never is a very long time.
    Do you know why he will never fight here again?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Mulholland looks a lot bigger now. Still much smaller than Cathal but there's definitely a lot more muscle on him. He was tricky to finish and that was a great scrap. Plus Merv has been very active in the last year and has a lot of wins under his belt. In the absence of Donelly I think he deserves a crack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 93 ✭✭Mouthalmighty

WELTERWEIGHT

Vlad is a beast!! Has serious grappling credentials & KO power in both hands

• Advertisement

LIGHTWEIGHT

Sebastian "Tiao" Torres (Team Torres) v Phillip Mulpeter (SBGi)

LIGHTWEIGHT

Sebastian "Tiao" Torres
    (Team Torres) v Phillip Mulpeter (SBGi)
    Is that the Bjj blackbelt teaching some of the clubs up north?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Wow, looking forward to seeing Seb fight now assuming there isn't another Sebastian Torres :D

Is that the Bjj blackbelt teaching some of the clubs up north?
    Yes Paul that's the man

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Wow, looking forward to seeing Seb fight now assuming there isn't another Sebastian Torres :D

As far as i am aware he is the only 1 Mr McGahon!!

Seb has an awesome ground game, but Phillips coach knows a thing or two about BJJ as well if rumours are to be believed :) and as you know Seb has just arrived back in Ireland fresh from getting his Black Belt in Brazil...

Yes Paul that's the man

As far as i am aware he is the only 1 Mr McGahon!!

Seb has an awesome ground game, but Phillips coach knows a thing or two about BJJ as well if rumours are to be believed :) and as you know Seb has just arrived back in Ireland fresh from getting his Black Belt in Brazil...

Nicccccce.
    I think there is another Seb Torres actually who fights in the WW division. Just not in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Some own-coach vested interest by myself then.

Oh sh!t I'm not allowed say that stuff :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

LIGHTWEIGHT

Sebastian "Tiao" Torres (Team Torres) v Phillip Mulpeter (SBGi)
    Typical Sbg hand picking opponents*

*=Sarcasm. Thought I'd save a certain poster the hastle of complaining about another fight.

Typical Sbg hand picking opponents*

Yes Ray I totally agree, but remember CC was only created to give belts to SBGi because they are not capable of winning them anywhere else*

* Also sarcasm, notice how the poster in reference had SFA to say about Myles v Norman on CCXI either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Hi John,

Was at the event in belfast and going to head on up to the one in tallaght. Just wondering how i go about getting the 15% discount as I cant put anything in on line?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭tommyl2010

Would the GAA be making a fortune for using the kids?

No. plus the pressure is shared between the whole team so not that bad

where in MMA its 1 on 1 and kid losing in front of 3000 people is not nice.

You cant say Cage Contender and others are putting them on to help the kids :rolleyes:

Do you think, friends, family members etc dont bother buying tickets to go see these teams, and there is 30 players plus subs, the gaa make a hell of alot more than cage contender do!

There is absolutely no logic in what your saying, cc are not selling that many tickets of the back of 2 teenagers on the card, and if a fighter was that intimidated by a crowd or that afraid of losing in front of a crowd then he is in the wrong sport and should not have accepted the fight in the first place!

And to be honest alot of the teenager ive seen that lose are a ell of a lot more graceful losers than alot of the more senior fighters are in defeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

Im going to go to this show and will give honest report back on how i feel fights where matched

Could I ask you to highlight any mismatches now? It's easy to cry mismatch after the fact, when one fighter has a dominant performance. If a matchup is genuinely unfair, it should be easy to pick beforehand.

• Advertisement
Advertisement