Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CAGE CONTENDER X : DUBLIN : 23 JULY 2011

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MMAIRELANDFAN

Shazbot wrote: »
    Why weren't you crying at Ferguson about that mismatch. Infact I think you wrote about how easy it was going to be for him.

I was not there and chose not to out of protest because how bad the Dublin show was so i cant comment.

Plus im nothing to do with Kokoro and have distanced myself many times and this witch hunt is not fair.

And from reports im not the only 1 with people quoting 300-400 fans at this 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭crosdad

so what, if you finish your fight early or put on a good performance and dominate its a mismatch? i think this mismatch thing is totally being exagerated. i know i and certainly alot of other fighters knew absolutley nothing about our opponents before we got in the cage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

What wories me about this whole mismatch allegations/teens is that you believe that trainers and clubs are:

1) letting their fighters go in and mangle somebody just to let their club get a better name

2) letting their fights get mangled by sending them in unprepared and not ready

Re: your sbg issues it really is very simple:

1) John does a shout out to clubs for fighters
    2) Big club says hey i've 7 fighters that could fight
    3) seven other clubs come forward with a fighter
    4) seven fights involving sbg are arranged

I'm just a fanboy. I dont train or fight with any club and dont pretend to have a huge level of knowledge.

What i do know from being at different fights and forums is that the care clubs and trainers give their fighters is second to none. So unless you have some hard evidence to back your claims up please stop derailing threads and trying to make mma in this country look and sound bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Nanoc

always compete with one mentality

ricky-bobby-if-you-aint-first.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John Ferguson

Tito Ortiz wrote: »
    If guys want to put cards on it's important to make as even matches as possible.

OK as a promoter who has matched close to 120 fights in 20 months let me explain how professional match making works
    1. Promoter has idea for potential match up, and researches it using all available information.
    2. Promoter contacts coach number 1 and offers the potential match up
    3. Promoter contacts coach number 2 and offers the potential match up
    4. 2 seasoned and experienced coaches who know their own fighters better than most go away and research the opponent. Ireland is a small scene so chances are that the coach will know of the opponent anyway
    5. Coaches come back and accept or decline the proposal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭_oveless

Nothing compares to the feeling of winning or losing a fight

How would you know? Have you ever fought mma?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Crazy.

Mismatches happen at the bottom level of the sport in particular. If a guy has one or two fights, and another guy has one or two fights, it's very difficult to discern who is going to win or lose and in what manner. You do what you can as a promoter to try to keep things even but ultimately you rely on both fighter's camps to deliver you a competitive fighter. It's not the promoter's fault if a team puts a guy in prematurely, or if a guy just fails to perform on the night. It's only a mismatch after the fact.

With respect to teen fights, I've said my piece in the past about them. I'm not comfortable with promoters making money from putting on teenage bouts. I had a teen bout on my show last week that being said, but I can guarantee you that didn't make any money :D. I want to see teenage fighters gain experience and grow into the sport, and I don't believe a high pressure environment like CC is the place in which to do that. Likewise I don't believe CC needs minor fighters to sell tickets

There are essentially 2 platforms for minors to compete: 1) the MMA league, no headshots etc. etc. 2) a ticketed show with a large audience. I think for most kids, the jump from one to the other is too great. There are exceptions of course.

DeVore we could all tell emotionally charged stories about our experiences and those subjective tales add nothing to the debate which is about moral and legal obligations to minors. There is such a thing as too much too young, and I really fail to see what the big rush is to get kids into the cage on big shows.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I saw that fight Milky Bar Kid, it really was a war!! SbgI were impressive in the last CC I felt, the fighters approached it very professionally and were clearly ready and focused. (I know the guy who did yer hands, Dave Gordon and I got to see backstage in th prep area). The fights didn't seem one-sided to me, and to be fair the scoreline for sbgI probably flattered them a little in that there was more than just one war in the night which could have gone the other way.

Barry, fair points and I don't completely disagree with you but I do disagree that we should limit teens 16+with society's nannying and race to mediocrity. My only point I wanted to make is that some people thrive on what others would find stressful and that the mentality of a top level athlete is always going to be so. I was giving a counterpoint to Mmafans point that the poor dears might it all too much stress.

As for mismatches, SbgI were just that bit better in each dept and it's like saying Man U get fixed matchs because they win a lot. Like just about everything MmaFan has said in this thread I contend that that's nonsense.

DeV.

CAGE CONTENDER FEATHERWEIGHT TITLE
    "Rowdy" Owen Roddy (SBGi/Primal) v Benjamin "Son of Life" Davis (PBS)

CAGE CONTENDER MIDDLEWEIGHT TITLE
    Chris "The Killing" Fields (SBGi) v John "Wrecking Machine" Redmond (RFA)

BANTAMWEIGHT
    Richie Ivory (Next Gen) v Richie Edgeworth (Ryano)

WELTERWEIGHT
    Tom Sullivan (Spirit MMA) v Kieran Davern (Tuatha de Dannan)

MIDDLEWEIGHT
    Henry "Herculez" Fadipe (Lucan) v Ben Forsyth (Rising Pheonix)

FEATHERWEIGHT
    Decky "The Diamond" Dalton (FAI) v Brian "The Pikeman" Moore (SBGi)

WELTERWEIGHT
    Vlad Malko (Cork City Combat Sambo) v John Ging (Tuatha de Dannan)

LIGHTWEIGHT
    Pat Sheridan (Kokoro) v Peter Quelly (Waterford MMA)

LIGHTWEIGHT
    Sebastian "Tiao" Torres (Team Torres) v Phillip Mulpeter (SBGi)

LIGHTWEIGHT
    Rob Byrne (Kokoro) v Paddy McBride (Rillion Gracie)

LIGHTWEIGHT
    Paul Hamill (Lucan) v Joe McColgan (Frames Tai Jutsu)

LIGHTWEIGHT
    Stephen Coll (Rillion Gracie) v Kev Young (Krause MMA)

BANTAMWEIGHT
    Blaine O'Driscoll (Lucan) v Joe Roache (Spirit MMA)

WELTERWEIGHT
    James McClarnon (PHK) v Oisin Coburn (Legends)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 KDavern

Is this phillip mulpeters first lightweight fight?I always thought he was a big enough welterweight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

KDavern wrote: »
    Is this phillip mulpeters first lightweight fight?I always thought he was a big enough welterweight?
    Nah Phillip is quite a small Welterweight. Hes fought and beat Dom Mconnell at Lightweight. I have that down as upset of the year so far. Fair Balls to him Dom is tough as nails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

Nah Phillip is quite a small Welterweight. Hes fought and beat Dom Mconnell at Lightweight. I have that down as upset of the year so far. Fair Balls to him Dom is tough as nails.

What a mismatch! That's SBG for you with their evil ways. :rolleyes:

Very true!!

Taking the above into account how do you all think this will go:

LIGHTWEIGHT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Very true!!

Taking the above into account how do you all think this will go:

LIGHTWEIGHT

Torres in a heartbeat if it hits the ground, i don't know what his stand up is like as i only know his Jits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Torres in a heartbeat if it hits the ground, i don't know what his stand up is like as i only know his Jits.

Phillip's a tough guy, always down for a war. It certainly wont be as simple as takedown then sub. Im expecting a great fight!

Was Sebastian Torres not a Featherweight? Is this his first fight at LW?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

I moved the teen debate into its own thread as it was taking over this thread and apart from CC having a teen fight on the card its off topic to this thread.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 93 ✭✭Mouthalmighty

If i can quote Popeye "I've has all i can stands I can't stands no more". MMAIreland fan, seriously dude get a life!! This CC mismatch conspiracy theory is a pile of rubbish!! There are plenty of reasons why:

As said before SBG has a huge active fight team both pro & amateur. This would mean a lot of guys at any one time training for fights which would mean that the sparring/rolling etc that the guys are doing is very competitive & most beneficial so they may be slightly quicker off the mark than opponents & this MMA game is a game of seconds & inches
    I've watch CC fights where SBG guys have been whipped like a dominatrix's ginger kid.
    Paddy Holohan (no offense on ginger kid remark) vs Steve McCoombe (Seriously a mismatch? One of the top Irish fighters? really?)
    I don't know whether you fight or not but two identical opponents could have what you call a mismatch if one starts quicker & gets the first significant strike /take down
    The Connor McGregor thing has been explained. 24hours notice fair play to the other guy.
    Coady just got a great start (see points above) in his fight. You're just picking 2-3 examples where a fight was finished quick or a guy was dominant to make your argument. Look at the whole 120 fights. I don't mean to sound arrogant but I have a fairly decent knowledge of Irish MMA scene & you make it sound like it's ran like a crooked boxing promotion when every care is take to ensure fighter safety.
    Also please learn which there/their/they're to use good grammar is essential

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 93 ✭✭Mouthalmighty

Onto positive stuff I cannot wait for this show!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭da-bres

This thread is so entertaining,

MMAIRELANDFAN..... you are so insightful.

Mulpeter vs Torres is a great match up, a real step up in competition for Phillip, either way it will be a cracking fight but my prediction is a big TKO for phil!

Can't wait for this, the card is awesome, well done C.C!

• Advertisement

da-bres wrote: »
    This thread is so entertaining,

MMAIRELANDFAN..... you are so insightful.

Mulpeter vs Torres is a great match up, a real step up in competition for Phillip, either way it will be a cracking fight but my prediction is a big TKO for phil!

Can't wait for this, the card is awesome, well done C.C!

Interesting prediction!!

CAGE CONTENDER X : DUBLIN : 23 JULY 2011
    National Basketball Arena
    Tallaght, Dublin

Tickets from

www.cagecontender.net

www.premiertickets.ie

All fighters and Clubs on the card

Ultimate MMA Supplies, 67 Middle Abbey St, Dublin

The Vitamin Shop, Lower Bridge St, Portlaoise

Caveman Super Snacks, Ferrybank, Arklow

The Franciscan Well, North Mall, Cork

Hotel

The offical hotel for Cage Contender X is Louis Fitzgerald Hotel, New Lands Cross, Naas Rd, Dublin + 353 (0) 1 40 333 00

This is where the weigh in and press interviews will be. Fighters who have agreed rooms will also be staying in this hotel.

Anyone wanting to book a room at the hotel ring the number above and tell them you are with Cage Contender. We have worked out a discount rate with them, so make sure you say your with Cage Contender

Weigh in

Weigh in and press call will be at 15:00 on Friday 22nd July 2011, at the Louis Fitzgerald Hotel. ALL fighters must be at the venue at 14:45 so that we can start on time.

Event Officals

Mr Peter Lavery
    Mr David Jones
    Mr Declan Larkin
    Mr Conor Cassidy
    Mr Rodney Moore

MC

Bret "Hollywood" Freeman

TV Presenters
    Stuart McQuitty
    Katie Larmour

Commentators

Stuart McQuitty
    Barry Oglesby
    Ian "The Machine" Freeman

DOORS WILL BE AT 18:00 AND THE FIRST FIGHT WILL BE IN THE ARENA AT 19:00 SHARP. FEEL FREE TO BRING BANNERS, VUVUZELLERS, DRUMS, FOAM FINGERS ETC TO SUPPORT YOUR FIGHTERS

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

UFCVuzela.jpg

DeV.

WELTERWEIGHT

After watching Tom Sullivan in one of the bloodiest fights of all time last night I was impressed by his calmness. How do u reckon this will go?

Two seriously cool dudes, gentlemen outside the cage, monsters inside!

Tom was really impressive last night, but Kieran is a bear, going to be a hell of a fight!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 KDavern

Can't wait to fight Tom..he's a great fighter!!I think there could be alot of blood in this one to!!looking forward to it,gona be a great night!!:)

• Advertisement

I'm not convinced of the "heartbeat" thing. Torres is outstanding on the ground but Philip's shown himself to have some good greco skills. I predict that he'll actively seek the top position and look to utilise safe GnP and stifle Torres's game.

Just if everyone remembers I said that when it happens that would be great. otherwise forget I said anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭SBG Ireland

well c fields and philip have same bjj rank. fields just beat a bjj bb at the weekend there, just saying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 TheFury

Torres by KO

CCX now be broadcast in the UK and Northern Ireland on SKY SPORTS.

This will be the first show in a multi show agreement between CC and SKY.

Further details will follow in the next few days

WOW! thats some serious exposure!

• Advertisement

Just noticing the wording of it john, what about the Republic and will we hear anything soon ?

I know nothing about the ins and outs of the deal but I'd imagine that Setanta might retain the rights in the Republic.

I'd better work on my permatan if I'm to keep up with the rest of those Sky types...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

This may be posted elsewhere but I see that Cage Contender 9 is scheduled to be shown on Setanta Ireland at midnight tonight.

Just noticing the wording of it john, what about the Republic and will we hear anything soon ?

We are working on a deal with Setanta to make CC the first "Free to Air" Irish MMA Brand. The idea being that the restriction for non subscribers will be lifted for CC events. This is taking a bit of time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭fightireland

We are working on a deal with Setanta to make CC the first "Free to Air" Irish MMA Brand. The idea being that the restriction for non subscribers will be lifted for CC events. This is taking a bit of time

Sounds excellent - good luck with that!

161324.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭fightireland

Brief write up on the event with some info here http://www.fightireland.com/p/irish-mma_01.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

I cannot wait for this. Off work all that weekend, savage night of fights, might take afew brews with my SBG brethren and enjoy a hell of a fight card!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 KneesStopFight

c'mon men... anybody see decky fight young?... not a bit of leather landed on deckys face... moore tough fighter but the diamonds gonna blow him away... moores hands are heavy but u gotta hit and not be hit !!! whos he trainin wit mayweather lol

c'mon men... anybody see decky fight young?... not a bit of leather landed on deckys face... moore tough fighter but the diamonds gonna blow him away... moores hands are heavy but u gotta hit and not be hit !!! whos he trainin wit mayweather lol

I think Moore has a much more well rounded game, a dominant submission win over morris says it all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭tommyl2010

BiG Irish MMA will be hooking up the refs with our new ref cam for the first time at ccx so we will get to see it from the refs point of view :)

Dont worry dave and peter you will both still look lovely

As long as they are wearing something hilariously elaborate then I'm all for it!.

DSC00312.JPG

As long as they are wearing something hilariously elaborate then I'm all for it!.

DSC00312.JPG

This made me LOL!! I'm sure Dave and Peter wont mind the headcam.... but the wig and tash, lol that might be a bigger issue :D

Benjamin "Son of Life" Davis is using the proceeds of his July 23rd title fight to raise money for the CONCERN charity....

161572.jpg

"Concern is a world recognized charity. I had done some research into charities who help fight poverty in third world, and war torn countries, and Concern World wide stood out to me above the rest.

What most i found good about them was their honesty! They show you where every penny of the money donated goes! Because sadly it is a well known fact that many charities do not give 100% to their causes. So this is why i have chosen to raise money with Concern.

You can sponsor me online by going on the concern challenger website, and searching for me Benjamin Davis. Donating is quick and easy and you do not need a credit card. A laser bank card will do. So please help in the fight against poverty by sponsoring me for my Cage Contender title fight on july 23rd. Peace be with you!" - Ben Davis

CAGE CONTENDER FEATHERWEIGHT TITLE
    "Rowdy" Owen Roddy (SBGi/Primal) v Benjamin "Son of Life" Davis (PBS)

CAGE CONTENDER MIDDLEWEIGHT TITLE
    Chris "The Killing" Fields (SBGi) v John "Wrecking Machine" Redmond (RFA)

BANTAMWEIGHT
    Richie Ivory (Next Gen) v Richie Edgeworth (Ryano)

WELTERWEIGHT

MIDDLEWEIGHT
    Henry "Herculez" Fadipe (Lucan) v Ben Forsyth (Rising Pheonix)

FEATHERWEIGHT
    Decky "The Diamond" Dalton (FAI) v Brian "The Pikeman" Moore (SBGi)

WELTERWEIGHT
    Vlad Malko (Cork City Combat Sambo) v John Ging (Tuatha de Dannan)

LIGHTWEIGHT

LIGHTWEIGHT
    Pat Sheridan (Kokoro) v Peter Quelly (Waterford MMA)

LIGHTWEIGHT
    Rob Byrne (Kokoro) v Paddy McBride (Rillion Gracie)

LIGHTWEIGHT
    Paul Hamill (Lucan) v Joe McColgan (Frames Tai Jutsu)

LIGHTWEIGHT
    Stephen Coll (Rillion Gracie) v Kev Young (Krause MMA)

BANTAMWEIGHT
    Blaine O'Driscoll (Lucan) v Joe Roache (Spirit MMA)

WELTERWEIGHT
    James McClarnon (PHK) v Oisin Coburn (Legends)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

I think the important question on everyones lips is

"Are they going to have cider at the the event?"

I dont drink beer and 5 hours or so in the heat of the basketball arena makes you mighty thirsty

I think the important question on everyones lips is

"Are they going to have cider at the the event?"

I dont drink beer and 5 hours or so in the heat of the basketball arena makes you mighty thirsty

Just emailed the bar company, there will be cider as requested :)

BANTAMWEIGHT

Darren Geasley (Boxing Clinic) v Fabio Viti (Lucan MMA)

Interesting Kal, interesting!!

This is what Ben had to say:

"Im really looking forward to my Cage contender Title Fight against Champion "Rowdy" Owen Roddy. Owens a fighter at the top of his game, and has fought on the european stage for a few years now.I believe we will match well against each other, and make for an epic Cage Contender battle!

I love martial arts and everytime i step into the gym, cage, or ring i step in to learn and test myself. The better my opponent the more excited i get, and i can honestly tell you the only way i would be more excited is if i were fighting Jose Aldo! Im never in a dull fight so you can certainly expect fireworks come July 23rd!

Peace be the Journey! God Bless!"

In reply to Ben Owen has now stated

" I'm feeling great building up to this one. I haven't fought in Dublin from 2008 so to have my home coming as a Champion is a great feeling. Ben is a strong opponent who like to stand and strike, I cant wait to battle and throw a few back and see if he can take the power. I'm well capable of beating him, I'm stronger in every range and I will have a massive home town crowd behind me. This will be firework and I'm not letting it get near the judges!!"

• Advertisement

WELTERWEIGHT

Rich "Sauza" Gorey (Pedro Bessa) v Kieran Davern (Tuatha de Dannan)

Unfortunately Tom Sullivan has broken his hand and will not be able to compete as planned. We have taken the opportunity to roll out one of our signed fighters for the first time. These to lads have very different skill sets and should prove to be a decent match up

Advertisement