Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CAGE CONTENDER X : DUBLIN : 23 JULY 2011

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John Ferguson

Just a heads up folks, there will be a few shops with different ranges on sale and some event offers at CCX.

DACO Fightwear - Full DACO range will be available

FANATIC SHOP - Pitbull West Coast Range

ULTIMATE MMA SUPPLIES - Various Ranges (TapouT etc)

CAVEMAN SUPER SNACKS - Billtong and food stuffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Hows this for a wife - tickets and a night on the lash for our 21st wedding anniversary!.. It's her first major show too, woop woop :)

A John Redmond win will be the icing on the cake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

you obviously have not got the stomach, or shall i say the balls to tell chris your self because you know he would up end you, like what he is goina do to redmond

And you can drop that attitude right now.

Thread has been cleaned up, stop acting the sack and get on with the discussion.

We have asked all the fighters and coaches and officials involved in CCX to give us a quick twitter style comment about the upcoming event and match ups. I will pop them on here as they come in:

Chris Fields, Defending Cage Contender Middleweight Champion - "It's my belt and it's coming home with me"

Oisin Coburn, Welterweight junior fighter - "I have never been more focused, prepared or hungry for any fight in my life"

Bret "Hollywood" Freeman, MC - "Nevermind the fighters...Hollywood's gonna be there! CCX DONT MISS IT!!!"

Tommy Lakes, Editor, BiG Irish MMA - "CCX will live up to the hype and go down in Irish MMA history as one of the best events seen on these shores"

"Rowdy" Owen Roddy, Defending Cage Contender Featherweight Champion - "Looking forward to showcasing my skills against a very good fighter and proving why I am THE CHAMP :)"

Barry Oglesby, CC Commentator and Expert Analyst - "This is the best domestic line up I've ever seen. If the headline bouts live up to expectations then we'll be in for some night."

Rich "Sauza" Gorey, Cage Contender contracted Welterweight fighter - "I'm coming back to stamp my name again on the Irish scene, I am gonna run straight through Kieran Davern"

Luke Corcoran, SBG fighter and Coolmine BJJ Head Coach - "CC X is going to kick some serious ass! Can't wait to watch my SBG team mates do the business! I predict it to be the best Irish MMA event so far!"

Ben "Son of Life" Davis, Featherweight title challenger - "This has been my longest training camp for a fight. On the 23rd of july at cage contender 10 the fire in my soul will be released!"

Kev Young, Lightweight division fighter - 23rd July Jeet kune do enters the Cage Contender Octagon. Kev Young, Krause MMA the one to watch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Is it paddy power or boylesports you've the agreement with John? and have the odds gone up yet?

Is it paddy power or boylesports you've the agreement with John? and have the odds gone up yet?

The betting lines are being set by betonfighting.com this gives all the High Street bookies equal chance to pick up the odds. Or you can bet directly with betonfighting. I just checked and they have the 2 title fights up already.

Ireland:

Setanta Sports (Premier Broadcast Partner)
    First Airing: 30/07/2011 @ 19:00hrs
    Repeat: TBC

UK

Sky Sports
    First Airing: Sky Sports 2, 02/08/2011 @ 22:00hrs
    Repeat: Sky Sports 3, 03/08/2011 @ 00:00hrs

Canada

The Fight Network
    First Airing: 30/07/2011 @ 20:00hrs
    Repeat: Re Runs through out the month of August

Africa

First Airing: 31/07/2011 @ 22:00hrs

Australia

First Airing: 31/07/2011 @ 16:45hrs

Asia

First Airing: 01/08/2011 : 19:00hrs

Details for USA will be confirmed later this week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Gorey_R

Ireland:

Setanta Sports (Premier Broadcast Partner)
    First Airing: 30/07/2011 @ 19:00hrs

UK

Sky Sports
    First Airing: Sky Sports 2, 02/08/2011 @ 22:00hrs
    Repeat: Sky Sports 3, 03/08/2011 @ 00:00hrs

Canada

The Fight Network
    First Airing: 30/07/2011 @ 20:00hrs
    Repeat: Re Runs through out the month of August

Africa

First Airing: 31/07/2011 @ 22:00hrs

Australia

First Airing: 31/07/2011 @ 16:45hrs

Asia

First Airing: 01/08/2011 : 19:00hrs

Details for USA will be confirmed later this week

What channel is it on in Australia?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 TheFury

Cannot wait to see Seb Torres in action, worth the travelling down alone. Also excited to see Owen Roddy fight again will be awesome, is a great fighter. All round awesome fight card.

TheFury wrote: »
    Cannot wait to see Seb Torres in action, worth the travelling down alone. Also excited to see Owen Roddy fight again will be awesome, is a great fighter. All round awesome fight card.

Cheers Pat

Im looking forward to seeing how the Torres v Mulpeter scrap plays out. Seb is a demon on the ground and Philip kicks like a mule. Good times ahead!!

Dave Jone, Cage Contender Official - "Sitting in my 5 star hotel lobby in Egypt, its 40 degrees in the shade but nothing will be better or hotter than the National Basketball Arena on Saturday 23rd July. Audience will need sunscreen."

Andy Ryan, Bjj Blackbelt, Team Ryano Head Coach - "Really looking forward to another great fight night. Will any one fight Neil Seery at fly weigh"

John Ging, Welterweight Division Fighter - "Going head 2 head with vlad.. this will be a hard and bloody fight.. Hard 2 see this going out of the 1st round."

John Kavanagh, BJJ Blackbelt, SBG Head Coach - "Probably one the most motivated training camps my guys have had, this will be an example of SBG at its best"

Andrew McGahon, MMA Journalist - "The injury which put Fields Vs Redmond off has been the BEST thing to happen to Cage Contender as it allowed for this rivalry to reach the boil at the hottest MMA event in Ireland this summer. GOING TO BE A WAR"

Paul Cowzer, Head Coach, Rush Fight Academy - "John's ready to go, expect fireworks"

Cathal "The Punisher" Pendred, Cage Contender Welterweight Champion - July 23rd is going to be a great night for Irish MMA. And it's going to be another great night for SBG!

Stephen Coll, Lightweight Division Fighter - "Looking forward to my cage contender debut.my hard work will do the talking On the night."

Anthony O'Brien, Coach, Waterford MMA - "Guys cant wait t get down n fight. . .lookin sharp n ready in the gym today sparrin. . .Bringing it to em!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭HellsAngel

The Tallaghts ladies man is back!! As promised on CC8 Dargan is on CC10!!

LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT

Jonathan "The Dragon" Dargan (SBGi) v Michael Kukowski (Cork City Combat Sambo)
    The Tallaght ladies man - always a crowd pleaser for all the chicks in the audience :)

Tony Keane, Featherweight Division Fighter - ''Edgeworth.......i hope you like publicity because i'm gonna be putting you on my highlight real''

Peter Quelly, Lightweight Division Fighter - ''Expect fireworks and another brutal knockout.....!don't blink!!''

CAGE CONTENDER FEATHERWEIGHT TITLE
    "Rowdy" Owen Roddy (SBGi/Primal) v Benjamin "Son of Life" Davis (PBS)

CAGE CONTENDER MIDDLEWEIGHT TITLE
    Chris "The Killing" Fields (SBGi) v John "Wrecking Machine" Redmond (RFA)

WELTERWEIGHT
    Rich "Sauza" Gorey (Pedro Bessa) v Kieran Davern (Tuatha de Dannan)

WELTERWEIGHT
    Vlad Malko (Cork City Combat Sambo) v John Ging (Tuatha de Dannan)

LIGHTWEIGHT
    Sebastian "Tiao" Torres (Team Torres) v Phillip Mulpeter (SBGi)

LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT
    Staz (Cork City Combat Sambo) v Dave Reilly (SBGi)

LIGHTWEIGHT
    Rob Byrne (Kokoro) v Peter Quelly (Waterford MMA)

LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT

BANTAMWEIGHT
    Richie Edgeworth (Ryano) v Tony Keane (Waterford MMA)

LIGHTWEIGHT
    Stephen Coll (Rillion Gracie) v Kev Young (Krause MMA)

LIGHTWEIGHT
    Matej Tomas (SBGi) v Joe McColgan (Tai Jutsu MMA)

BANTAMWEIGHT
    Blaine O'Driscoll (Lucan) v Joe Roache (Spirit MMA)

WELTERWEIGHT
    James McClarnon (PHK) v Oisin Coburn (Legends)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭SBG Ireland

LIGHTWEIGHT
    Artmej Tomas (SBGi) v Joe McColgan (Tai Jutsu MMA)

it's Matej Tomas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

Matej is a cool guy, I expect a very impressive performance from him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Tito Ortiz

SO i'm really bored and thought I would put my views up, about how I see Saturdays main card going !!

A very tough fight to call as both guys are very well rounded. I think Owen is just that little better in all areas and those knees can end a right very quickly. I'm going to go with Owen on this one as his experience will keep him out of danger. (Roddy Decision)

A fight with a little spark coming from that video that was released !! Redmond has some heavy hands, that if they connect will trouble Fields. I don't see Chris staying on the outside and feel he will look for the clinch and take down early. I'm going to go with the size and strenght of Chris for this one. (Fields TKO)

WELTERWEIGHT
    No prize for guessing where Gorey will want to take this fight, and that is to the ground.He's been out for over a year and that may take it's toll in the later rounds against the much more active Davern. Both are big lads for the weight but a huge advantage goes to Gorey on the ground. (Gorey Sub)

WELTERWEIGHT
    Vlad Malko (Cork City Combat Sambo) v John Ging (Tuatha de Dannan)
    I can't wait to see Malko back in action as his last outing against CC WW champ Pendered was unreal. It's been just a year since Ging last fought and again that may be a factor in this fight. Ging should use his reach here, but i feel Malko will have too much power and be too strong. (Malko TKO)

LIGHTWEIGHT
    With Torres not being out of the 1st round and a BJJ black belt on paper this looks a straight forward win via sub. But I think this might be the upset of the night Mulpeter is very tough and I'm sure JK and all the SBG guys have been putting Phil through his paces for this. If any camp knows how to beat a BJJ black belt its them guys. (Mulpeter TKO)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭tommyl2010

really cant see roddy v davis going to decision someone is gettin KO'd in that one!!

CCX betting on PADDY POWER

• Registered Users Posts: 29 gary s

11/5 is serious price for Davis.I'll be having some of that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭samk1

cant wait for saturday now!!best card yet,even a 50 sometn year old uncle of mine who has nothing to do with mma was talking to me about "that fella redmond"!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭theboxingclinic

what is the finalised card?

WELTERWEIGHT

LIGHTWEIGHT

LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT
    TBC v Dave Reilly (SBGi)

LIGHTWEIGHT
    Rob Byrne (Kokoro) v Peter Quelly (Waterford MMA)

LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT

BANTAMWEIGHT
    Richie Edgeworth (Ryano) v Tony Keane (Waterford MMA)

LIGHTWEIGHT
    Stephen Coll (Rillion Gracie) v Kev Young (Krause MMA)

LIGHTWEIGHT
    Matej Tomas (SBGi) v Joe McColgan (Tai Jutsu MMA)

BANTAMWEIGHT
    Blaine O'Driscoll (Lucan) v Joe Roache (Spirit MMA)

WELTERWEIGHT
    James McClarnon (PHK) v Oisin Coburn (Legends)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭r_obric

What time do the doors open? First fight at?

John what happened to the Ging Malko fight?? I have a bet with a guy i work with that this fight would not go ahead :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 j.ging

Tito Ortiz wrote: »
    John what happened to the Ging Malko fight?? I have a bet with a guy i work with that this fight would not go ahead :D
    and why would you think that????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭HellsAngel

Just wondering, apart from maybe Setanta, what possible other media may be at the weigh ins at the Square on Friday. RTE or TV3 maybe ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭da-bres

why did you think it wouldn't go ahead?

I was really looking forward to this match up.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I watched some videos of "Rowdy" and that lad has some knees on him. I dont just mean the bendy bits of his legs, but his Muay Thai skills are impressive. I havent seen his opponent at all (will look at him tonight), so I wont comment on the fight but I'm looking forward to it now!

DeV.

We had a Malko pull out! Ging was ready to rock which was disappointing but there was no match available at such short notice

j.ging wrote: »
    and why would you think that????

Because off the top of my head, is this not the third time this fight was due to happen ??

• Registered Users Posts: 32 j.ging

Because off the top of my head, is this not the third time this fight was due to happen ??
    2nd time man.. i pulled out last time because i damage my elbow badly... maybe 3rd time lucky:D:D:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

j.ging wrote: »
    2nd time man.. i pulled out last time because i damage my elbow badly... maybe 3rd time lucky:D:D:p
    admit it yer just trying to give gary and tim a run for their money :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

HellsAngel wrote: »
    Just wondering, apart from maybe Setanta, what possible other media may be at the weigh ins at the Square on Friday. RTE or TV3 maybe ?

Neither. I know that the sport crowd in TV3 have no interest in covering MMA and I'd wager that RTE would be much the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

I thought i read somewhere in this thread it will be shown in Australia, any idea what channel and date?

Cheers

• Advertisement

I thought i read somewhere in this thread it will be shown in Australia, any idea what channel and date?

Cheers

31 July @ 16:45 - Setanta Sports Australia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

DeVore wrote: »
    I watched some videos of "Rowdy" and that lad has some knees on him. I dont just mean the bendy bits of his legs, but his Muay Thai skills are impressive. I havent seen his opponent at all (will look at him tonight), so I wont comment on the fight but I'm looking forward to it now!

DeV.
    I'm almost sure I met you at Cage Contender on the 12th. that was the same night his opponent you haven't seen at all. Scored one of the greatest KO's I've ever seen and earned himself a number one contender shot.
    I understand however. I've seen Blaine O'Driscoll fight 3 times and I wouldn't know his face, just his exciting fights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

That kick to the head was an amazing knockout but I think Roddy is a very different proposition for Davis. I think that from the perspective of odds/statistics Davis has the same chance of beating Roddy as Tito has of beating Evans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Martin Walker

I think Ben will stop Owen.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭wayno

SDTimeout wrote: »
    DeVore wrote: »

DeV.
    I'm almost sure I met you at Cage Contender on the 12th. that was the same night his opponent you haven't seen at all. Scored one of the greatest KO's I've ever seen and earned himself a number one contender shot.
    I understand however. I've seen Blaine O'Driscoll fight 3 times and I wouldn't know his face, just his exciting fights.
    Andrew I tough u sad the best KO u seen was the K1 fight @ fight pit 2 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

wayno wrote: »
    Andrew I tough u sad the best KO u seen was the K1 fight @ fight pit 2 :)

:p

I'm not like Overeem and I don't like to mix my K1 with my MMA Wayne :D

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭samk1

i train with blane,hes a tuff young lad will be one 2 watch for the future deffo!!he jas trained really hard for saturday aswell

Due to pull outs in need of replacements to fight the following guys:

SEMI PRO : Joe McColgan (Tai Jutsu MMA) Lightweight. Will look at catchweight to 74kg

SEMI PRO: Dave Reilly (SBGi) Light Heavyweight

TEEN: Oisin Coburn (Legends) Catchweight between 70kg and 77kg

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Oh believe me, I wasnt kidding when I said I wouldnt comment on the fight because I didnt know his opponent. My knowledge of Irish MMA is patchy at best but I'm learning and learning about it for reasons that will become clear soon enough.

But I'm the first one to put up my hand and say I dont know nearly enough about Irish MMA.

So, I'm not being disrespectful to Roddy's opponent by saying he has great MT. How could I be? I know nothing about Davis but I will by tonight :)

DeV.

• Advertisement

Ok, just spent the last hour watching Davis fight vids. Well, what can I say, he has fast feet doesnt he!! Lol!

He looks explosive and this looks like it will be a stand up war... you know what, I'm going to stay neutral on this because this strikes me as the kind of fight that could be over very fast one way or another. Both look to have serious stand up skills and any slip up could be fatal for either of them.

Now I dunno which main event I'm looking forward to the most :)

DeV.

Advertisement