Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CAGE CONTENDER X : DUBLIN : 23 JULY 2011

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

DeVore wrote: »
    Oh believe me, I wasnt kidding when I said I wouldnt comment on the fight because I didnt know his opponent. My knowledge of Irish MMA is patchy at best but I'm learning and learning about it for reasons that will become clear soon enough.

But I'm the first one to put up my hand and say I dont know nearly enough about Irish MMA.

So, I'm not being disrespectful to Roddy's opponent by saying he has great MT. How could I be? I know nothing about Davis but I will by tonight :)

DeV.
    Tbh i think Ben might nick it. If a few more fights were available I'd prob throw an accum together with ben ben roddy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John Ferguson

Tbh i think Ben might nick it. If a few more fights were available I'd prob throw an accum together with ben ben roddy

The line writers (Odds makers) were going to do 5 fights but got cold feet when they realized that Boyles took a beating on 3 of the last 4 events. I don't think Boyles ever got over the shock from CC6 when they had Mitchell as favorite to beat Gunnar Nelson and somebody had £20k on Gunni at 6/2 (from memory but might be wrong).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

. I don't think Boyles ever got over the shock from CC6 when they had Mitchell as favorite to beat Gunnar Nelson and somebody had £20k on Gunni at 6/2 (from memory but might be wrong).

Must be wrong. 6/4 maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭SBG Ireland

I don't think Boyles ever got over the shock from CC6 when they had Mitchell as favorite to beat Gunnar Nelson .

ah those were the days...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Tito Ortiz

I don't think Boyles ever got over the shock from CC6 when they had Mitchell as favorite to beat Gunnar Nelson and somebody had £20k on Gunni at 6/2 (from memory but might be wrong).[/QUOTE]

haha,I bet someone got the sack after that mistake..Dont they know you never bet against the Gunni !!:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭HellsAngel

Ireland:

Setanta Sports (Premier Broadcast Partner)
    First Airing: 30/07/2011 @ 19:00hrs
    Repeat: TBC

Just a small point, but I see on Setanta's site their listing CC at 6.30pm on Sat 30th on Setanta Ireland. Wouldn't like anyone of you to miss some action ;)http://www.setanta.com/ie/TV-Listings/

BTW, any truth in the rumour that the Tallaght ladies man Johnathon Dargan's theme tune for entering the cage is - I'm too sexy by Right Said Fred :confused:

HellsAngel wrote: »
    Just a small point, but I see on Setanta's site their listing CC at 6.30pm on Sat 30th on Setanta Ireland. Wouldn't like anyone of you to miss some action ;)http://www.setanta.com/ie/TV-Listings/
    I noticed that too, but they have just confirmed again that it's 7pm. Will be a good night on Setanta, Cage Contender is on then a few hours later Brian Magee will be live from Costa Rica fighting for the WBA Super Middleweight strap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

somebody had £20k on Gunni at 6/2 (from memory but might be wrong).

Was it Mitchell :pac:

LIGHTWEIGHT

Joe McColgan (Tai Jutsu MMA) v Ciaran Keanry (Lucan)

TEEN

Oisin Coburn (Legends) v David Garbanowski (Spirit MMA)

STILL NEED : Semi Pro - Light Heavyweight to fight Dave Reilly (SBGi)

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭TKD SC

I noticed that too, but they have just confirmed again that it's 7pm. Will be a good night on Setanta, Cage Contender is on then a few hours later Brian Magee will be live from Costa Rica fighting for the WBA Super Middleweight strap

Hi,
    Do you know if they're showing all the fights or just the two title ones?

Tks!
    Simon

• Advertisement

TKD SC wrote: »
    Hi,
    Do you know if they're showing all the fights or just the two title ones?

Tks!
    Simon

Hi Simon

It's a 2hr broadcast so most will be on there

The line writers (Odds makers) were going to do 5 fights but got cold feet when they realized that Boyles took a beating on 3 of the last 4 events. I don't think Boyles ever got over the shock from CC6 when they had Mitchell as favorite to beat Gunnar Nelson and somebody had £20k on Gunni at 6/2 (from memory but might be wrong).
    LOL and a new sbg opened up in town, connection?? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭fightireland

For anybody who is interest with posted our interview with John ahead of tomorrow's weigh ins - here: http://tinyurl.com/3zd36xe

Best of luck to anybody weighing in tomorrow from all at FightIreland.com ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Lads this has probably already been asked but Im not goin through 20 pages! Is this assigned seating? are there still tickets available (at the door)? A mate of mine wants to go now...

Nice one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Dave! wrote: »
    Lads this has probably already been asked but Im not goin through 20 pages! Is this assigned seating? are there still tickets available (at the door)? A mate of mine wants to go now...

Nice one

Unless there's been a change from the last time it was in the NBA there are no assigned seats - best thing to do it grab a seat mid tier opposite the large screens.

Or if you recognize supporters from a particular club seat close to them and you'll have the craic as their fighter/fighters do battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 meerkatmark

hey guys, was in the square in tallaght today and seen the public weigh in for this event, looks like its going to be a great night, first time i had seen anything like this before.

who were the 2 smaller guys who looked like they were gonna have a scrap on the stage? i seen the 2 bigger guys who i now know as redmond and fields (thanks to the nice flyer) and that got very heated.

didnt see anyone selling tickets at the square, can i get tickets on the door?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭da-bres

'the square' stare offs was a great idea, Looking forward even more to the fights!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭fightireland

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Dave! wrote: »

Nice one
    Seating is unreserved and I have some tickets if you can't get them anywhere else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

I'm looking forward to the Davis Roddy fight. For me this is as good as it gets. Two exciting finishers who bring their personalities to the fight too.

Shame on you if you're in Dublin and not going to this.

Looking down the card I'm tipping the Mulpeter/Torres fight as one for the aficionados. Seb is favourite but Philip will doubtless have received his instructions. I think this will be chess. 1000mph chess.

As for the Fields/Redmond fight, one of these boys egos has written cheques their butt can't cash. I think this fight will be decided by who can cope with the energy of the night.

And if you're cageside, the first sonofabitch to come up to me between fights to tell me I look like Bas Rutten gets abused on national television. Bas Rutten looks like me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭r_obric

I'm looking forward to the Davis Roddy fight. For me this is as good as it gets. Two exciting finishers who bring their personalities to the fight too.

Looking down the card I'm tipping the Mulpeter/Torres fight as one for the aficionados. Seb is favourite but Philip will doubtless have received his instructions. I think this will be chess. 1000mph chess.

As for the Fields/Redmond fight, one of these boys egos has written cheques their butt can't cash. I think this fight will be decided by who can cope with the energy of the night.

And if you're cageside, the first sonofabitch to come up to me between fights to tell me I look like Bas Rutten gets abused on national television. Bas Rutten looks like me.

Has bas left himself go that much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

A better game to play is after how many fights will Barry complain on twitter that he needs coffee.

Anybody heading back into city center after ? I've been told the buses can be touch and go to get back into the city center. Getting Matthews bus from Parnell Street. If there is a free spot in any car back into town it would be appreciated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭r_obric

SDTimeout wrote: »
    A better game to play is after how many fights will Barry complain on twitter that he needs coffee.

Paddy power might give a price on that

There could be a Q of priests the whole way from Maynooth to Tallaght

There could be a Q of priests the whole way from Maynooth to Tallaght
    Off the top of my head in what i consider the big 4 of this card.

Davis to upset and win by ko/tko
    Chris Fields by submission late round 2/round 3
    R. Gorey by sub/gnp.
    Torres by submission.

Can't make it up to this due to other sports commitments :(

My picks are:

Mulpeter over Torres (upset of the night)

Roddy and Ben will be great, but I think it will be a decisive win for the champ.

I don't see Redmond surviving, no disrespect to Redmond but Chris is a much more developed fighter in all areas. First round finish IMO. Weigh in was pretty funny, Redmond will have to back up all his antics ;)

Davern and gorey is going to be ridiculous. Both are killers.

da-bres wrote: »
    My picks are:

Mulpeter over Torres (upset of the night)

Roddy and Ben will be great, but I think it will be a decisive win for the champ.

I don't see Redmond surviving, no disrespect to Redmond but Chris is a much more developed fighter in all areas. First round finish IMO. Weigh in was pretty funny, Redmond will have to back up all his antics ;)

Davern and gorey is going to be ridiculous. Both are killers.
    Least gorey looks it! Anyone remember the curley blonde fro :pac:

Least gorey looks it! Anyone remember the curley blonde fro :pac:

thats one serious 'fro' davern is not one to be underestimated though, incredible match up.

I think Mulpeter is going to gain some fans 2moro night, serious fighter, mad skillzzzz!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭SBG Ireland

honeybadger dont give a sh1t ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bebecca

Hey is there a update of the fight card that any1 knows plz. X

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭crosdad

Chris fields and Owen roddy will both get the win i think, simply because they can do it all and im not sure if their opponents can. Also, i would keep an eye out for richard gorey, that guy is strong as hell.

oh, and there is nothing wrong with fro's:)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 ethanhawk

Its going to be VERY VERY hot over there tomorrow believe me,

• Registered Users Posts: 8 odonogj3

Roddy has it in the bag. People are under estimating Redmond, Chris won't like trading punches with him, in for a shock. Gorey for the win also.

odonogj3 wrote: »
    Roddy has it in the bag. People are under estimating Redmond, Chris won't like trading punches with him, in for a shock. Gorey for the win also.
    I wouldn't say has it in the bag, we all know ben can ko people very quick.
    I wouldn't say people are underestimating redmond people just think Chris is better all round.
    I agree with the gorey part though

I wouldn't say has it in the bag, we all know ben can ko people very quick.
    I wouldn't say people are underestimating redmond people just think Chris is better all round. I agree with the gorey part though

You must be basing this on johns last fight in the CC,little unfair,its going to be a good fight.

• Advertisement

ethanhawk wrote: »
    You must be basing this on johns last fight in the CC,little unfair,its going to be a good fight.
    Or I'm basing it on what I know of both fighters....

Or I'm basing it on what I know of both fighters....

I know there is a lot of talk of chris resent win over a BJJ Black Belt,but john has a lot of experience and good heart.

ethanhawk wrote: »
    I know there is a lot of talk of chris resent win over a BJJ Black Belt,but john has a lot of experience and good heart.
    mate it's my opinion, yer not going to change it. I like both lads, I just think Chris is the better fighter, I'm not saying John is going to get beat like a government mule, I just said he'll get beat.

Fields beat a Bjj black belt who had a similar style to him, Chris will fold like he's done before to heavy head shots. Davis had a great KO but he was losing that fight n d kick got him out of deep water.

Fields beat a Bjj black belt who had a similar style to him, Chris will fold like he's done before to heavy head shots. Davis had a great KO but he was losing that fight n d kick got him out of deep water.
    So ben was losing till he won?

Sher we'll know who was right this time tomorrow:)

• Advertisement

Good point. Yes he did win and he won fair but I think he was very lucky his head kick paid off. They probably do 1/10.

Good point. Yes he did win and he won fair but I think he was very lucky his head kick paid off. They probably do 1/10.
    Ask anybody, a strike only has to land once to win a fight. Ps there is no such thing as a lucky strike. Ben threw the kick, it connected. Seems to of went off exactly how it was supposed to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Martin Walker

Im gonna go with Ben to stop Owen as i said before. I think Bens striking is more direct and heavier than Owens and I think he will catch him. I think Owens chin is a bit suspect. I say this because i seen Hugh Brady rock him hard when he beat him in Belfast a few years ago.

Im gonna go with Fields over Redmond. By sub in 2nd or 3rd. This is harder to pick than many are letting on. If John connects fast and direct he could stop Chris but i think Chris will be wise and try to dictate the pace and let John burn out a bit.

I fancy Torres for a TKO via GNP in round one. Maybe even a tad onesided. Hope im wrong tho. Id love to see an underdog win.

I also think Gorey will win by Afro Samurai mong beasting.

Roddy
    Gorey
    Redmond

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭HellsAngel

Was out at the Square yesterday, must say i enjoyed some of the ' nice to get to get to know you ' greetings :) Particuliarily the middleweight fighters Chris Feilds and John Redmond. Somehow I don't think either of them will be sending Xmas cards to one another.........

Excellent promotion by John Ferguson all the same, MMA is in good professional hands.

No need for us tweeters tonight. You can watch it streamed live on

http://www.cagecontender.net/ !

Great news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Martin Walker

SDTimeout wrote: »
    No need for us tweeters tonight. You can watch it streamed live on

http://www.cagecontender.net/ !

Great news

Happy days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭tommyl2010

CAGE CONTENDER FEATHERWEIGHT TITLE
    "Rowdy" Owen Roddy (SBGi/Primal) v Benjamin "Son of Life" Davis (PBS)

CAGE CONTENDER MIDDLEWEIGHT TITLE
    Chris "The Killing" Fields (SBGi) v John "Wrecking Machine" Redmond (RFA)

WELTERWEIGHT
    Rich "Sauza" Gorey (Pedro Bessa) v Kieran Davern (Tuatha de Dannan)

LIGHTWEIGHT
    Sebastian "Tiao" Torres (Team Torres) v Phillip Mulpeter (SBGi)

LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT
    Michael Kukowski (Cork City Combat Sambo) v Dave Reilly (SBGi)

LIGHTWEIGHT
    Rob Byrne (Kokoro) v Peter Queally (Waterford MMA)

BANTAMWEIGHT
    Richie Edgeworth (Ryano) v Tony Keane (Waterford MMA)

LIGHTWEIGHT
    Stephen Coll (Rillion Gracie) v Kev Young (Krause MMA)

LIGHTWEIGHT
    Ciaran Kearny (Lucan) v Joe McColgan (Tai Jutsu MMA)

BANTAMWEIGHT
    Blaine O'Driscoll (Lucan) v Joe Roache (Spirit MMA)

WELTERWEIGHT
    Oisin Coburn (Legends) v David Garbanowski (Spirit MMA)

Heading in a few minutes up to the Arena. I'm the dickhead wearing the Elmo T-Shirt. Going to be a great night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

Best of luck to everyone competing tonight, will be heading off to see it pretty soon, cant wait!

• Advertisement
Advertisement