Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

wrestling in 5-10 years

• 08-04-2011 1:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭

well in the past 5 years i guess you could say wrestling has kinda been the same, it started going into decline around 2007 and is more or less still the same, 2007 was more edgy and unpredictable tho and looking back that angle vs cena feud was gripping stuff. i think tho in next 5 years we're gonna see a lot of fans move away from wwe but i think as a business it will be really successful still. just seen that they no longer consider themselves a wrestling company and changed name to WWE which now stand for nothing. the tradition of that company is gone. even if tna became huge would wwe consider themselves to be competing with tna? i dunno. this is bad because everyone wants wwe to be the best. it has the most money and when they do things right it looks better than the competition. but its not going to happen. hopefully tna can stick around and become the biggest wrestling company and let the wwe do whatever they want.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 theZomboid

after watching this years wrestlemania i gotta say WWE is slipping fast. they have some really good young stars like Morrison and Dirk Diggler/Ziggler/Wiggler (whatever his name is ) etc but man the Rock/Cena/Miz thing is woeful.
    i love the Rock as he is funny as f**k but wow that really sucks. stories are really crap even though the Miz and the heels are really good at what they do. but yeah it would appear to be in serious decline even though it fan base grows and grows!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,335 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I think a lot will hinge on how/who will eventually replace Vince. HHH being responsible for the development for global people has potential to bring in good wrestlers of all sizes again but if Vince wants more of the same...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

It's a tough one to call. The first thing I was thinking when they decided to take the Wrestling out of WWE is are they gonna change the name of WRESTLEmania???? It will just be called ENTERTAINMENT-mania :D

There is a lot of young talented stars that will be the big names still in 5-10 years maybe. Also the likes of Miz, Cena, Orton, Punk, Sheamus still have a good few years left in em so the future doesnt look too bleak.
    Hopefully under Trips, the creative side will get a bit better, coz thats what seems to be the problem at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I'll have you know it'll be called "Entertainia" and old WrestleMania songs will be re-recorded as such :pac:

I think WWE will be in a much better state in 5 years, Vince will hopefully be gone and Tripper will be in charge. The guy breathes and understands pro wrestling.

Besides which, Punk and Danielson will be main event mainstays :) If WWE keep building and building stars we should have a great product. We might not have another Austin but we'll have plenty of very good talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

In 5 years time, the main event of Entertania will be The Rock and Jesse Ventura in a cross generation Poetry Slam :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

My biggest worry for WWE is that they haven't really replaced a talent like Hbk & I think they'll really struggle to replace Jericho,Edge,Triple H,Undertaker & even guys like Christian. They have a few good workers but in the last 10 years they had Benoit,Guerrero,Angle, Lesnar,Jericho,Rvd, Rock,Austin,HHH,Taker,Hbk,E&C,Mysterio,The Hardyz,Dudleyz Boyz& countless others.In the last 4,5 years they haven't signed or developed anywhere near enough of talent. They should sign more talent with worldwide experience & stop looking down their nose at Indy talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Have they stopped even saying sports entertainment now? its just entertainment? so first wrestling was a dirty word, and now the term they used to replace wrestling isnt being used either? Kevin Dunn has a lot to answer for...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

krudler wrote: »
    Have they stopped even saying sports entertainment now? its just entertainment? so first wrestling was a dirty word, and now the term they used to replace wrestling isnt being used either? Kevin Dunn has a lot to answer for...

Imagine if there were no matches on RAW. Just a two hour comedy variety show with Santino, Cena, Hornswoggle :eek:

Kevin Dunn's wet dream

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

GTR63 wrote: »
    My biggest worry for WWE is that they haven't really replaced a talent like Hbk & I think they'll really struggle to replace Jericho,Edge,Triple H,Undertaker & even guys like Christian. They have a few good workers but in the last 10 years they had Benoit,Guerrero,Angle, Lesnar,Jericho,Rvd, Rock,Austin,HHH,Taker,Hbk,E&C,Mysterio,The Hardyz,Dudleyz Boyz& countless others.In the last 4,5 years they haven't signed or developed anywhere near enough of talent. They should sign more talent with worldwide experience & stop looking down their nose at Indy talent.

The demise of WCW has a lot to do with that situation.

A guy with 5-6 years indy experience is much more prepared than a guy who has just gone through WWE developmental. They need to embrace it much more. Look at what the indies produced in CM Punk, their best worker at the minute.

Or the UK and Irish scene which produced Sheamus and Barrett. They are amongst the few recent additions who actually display personality on screen.

I'm glad to hear that HHH favours a new talent recruitment drive with a focus on the wider world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

The demise of WCW has a lot to do with that situation.

A guy with 5-6 years indy experience is much more prepared than a guy who has just gone through WWE developmental. They need to embrace it much more. Look at what the indies produced in CM Punk, their best worker at the minute.

Or the UK and Irish scene which produced Sheamus and Barrett. They are amongst the few recent additions who actually display personality on screen.

I'm glad to hear that HHH favours a new talent recruitment drive with a focus on the wider world.

It has had a lot to do with WcW closing.Don't think wrestling will recover until Tna(they have the financial clout) get going but I wouldn't hold my breath.I'm not going to judge Triple H taking over the creative/talent control until he has been handed the keys by Vince.I need convincing for Triple H at this stage.More CM Punk types & less Pea Green FCW development clones.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

GTR63 wrote: »
    It has had a lot to do with WcW closing.Don't think wrestling will recover until Tna(they have the financial clout) get going but I wouldn't hold my breath.I'm not going to judge Triple H taking over the creative/talent control until he has been handed the keys by Vince.I need convincing for Triple H at this stage.More CM Punk types & less Pea Green FCW development clones.

I'd agree with you on the HHH thing though apparently the only signing he has been behind, atleast in his new official capacity is that of Sin Cara and although it's still to be deemed a success or not it's gotta be considerd less of the Pea green FCW type you mention. I think the fact that FCW seems to be a cookie cutter of a certain style of Pro wrestler might actually influence future signings with more established indy/foreign talent brought in, people who they think can do a certain role based on their experience while the FCW boyos will be more a develop as you guy kinda thing filled with people WWE think have the right look etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

I really don't expect too many changes to the product if and when HHH is the top guy.

He is already a major figurehead behind the scenes, so any new ideas or changes in recruitment strategy he wishes to implement would be in progress already. Why would he keep his future vision of the company bottled up until Vince is gone?

I couldn't really envisage Vince vetoing any of HHH's suggestions to improve both the direction of the company and the quality of talent, especially with declining PPV buys, ratings, and attendances over the years.

Another point to consider is that whichever direction HHH wants to take the company in the future, it will be under the Big Brother cameras of the shareholders and sponsors who may still restrict him if they don't like any aspect of his vision.

Vince is 65 years old though, so, it could be 10 years at minimum before he's no longer running the company.

Off Topic, this is my 1000th post, thanks to everyone for providing such entertaining topics to read and respond to everyday. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

A part of me wants to say look at history and it will be repeated.

In the post golden age of the 80s that was early-mid 90s when the WWF had a few scandals (as it has had in the last few years) and made the choice to take the sting out of wrestling thus gearing it towards kids. They used "colourful" characters, silly storylines and there wasn't much vision. This was particularly the case since Vince needed a replacement for Hogan.

With competition from WCW and the audience of kids getting older wrestling was "hot-shotted" for over a decade so we got loads of edgy characters and storylines with sex, blood and ultra violence in some cases.

Now with Cenanation we've of course reverted to a slightly more toned product in some ways but is it completely analogous to the previous era post-Hogan and pre-Stone Cold? Maybe but that's probably for another day.

I have a strong feeling the future of wrestling depends on the economic matters.

While the thread is titled "Wrestling in 10years" I'm obviously talking about WWE. Right now they have a model to make profit. Increasingly this is throwing up some bizarre incidents and occurances and as we know actual wrestling is taking a back seat. While unlike the period of 97-2002 when actual wrestling was taking a backseat the TV production was sharp and edgy and people liked that.

Today the actual TV production, the presentation, is flashy and a tonne of money seems to be spent on sets. They appear to be not too interested in investing in the production of the material despite having numerous old hands from back in the day. Eventually these guys may die out and the bean counters and TV producers will be running the entire thing - more so than they are already. This could mean the art of wrestling could die. Monopolies are not good - play the boardgame and see what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

If/when Triple H and Stephanie take over the business from Vince, in a weird way it could be the best thing to happen to WWE, get rid of Kevin Dunn, who is probably most repsonsible for taking the wrestling out of a wrestling company. Triple H, for all his faults over the years is a passionate wrestling fan, nobody can deny that, he knows his history, he wants younger stars to embrace it and know where the business came from and I cant see him replacing matches with skits involving midgets, theres a line between the skits and the matches, and right now WWE is going too far away from the wrestling aspect.

Look at Wrestlemania this year, an hour into the biggest ppv of the year and the second match was still underway? not good enough. Edge and Del Rio should have opened the event then have the Rock come out, not the other way around.

Celebrities have their place in wrestling, always have, but now they're trying to sell Wrestlemania as a variety show not a wrestling ppv, I genuinely have no issue with celebrites becoming involved in promoting the business as long as they at least are fans or know what they're promoting, but when airtime on a ppv is given to Snoop Dogg rather than Sheamus vs Daniel Bryan, which had the potential to steal the show, then somethings wrong.

I'd like them to make the ring area smaller again, go back and look at Raw circa 97-99, the crowd is right on top of the ring and theres not much space to move around, now it seems like the crowd barriers are 10 feet away and theres zero interaction with them, the crowd noise says wonders these days too, at Mania its different as its die hard fans but when was the last time (aside from The Rock returning ) that a crowd on Raw went absolutely batsh1t?

look at this, the crowd is going completely bananas, its messy looking,looks improvised (even though it wasnt) and it doesnt look as set up and staged as anything that happens these days, nobody is expecting another Attitude era (well some day it might) but the crowd doesnt seem to be as lively these days. Raw used to be much more chaotic back in the 90's, now its all to heavily scripted and planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

I only watch the wwe experience because I don't have the channels to raw or smackdown. I used do watch a stream online of raw but found I was getting board about half way through. Their are a lot of wrestlers that I have no interest in watching. I used to like wwe but since I started watching TNA three years ago, I find it is the best wrestling company and it is not aimed at kids, we are allowed to see blood. TNA is putting on shows worth watching and I never miss it unlike wwe which I don,t care if I miss.
    TNA is the best.

Advertisement