Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Legal Speed Limit?

• 08-04-2011 2:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭

With the summer season almost upon us, I'm wondering if anyone can tell me with certainty or links what the legal speed limit is for a vehicle towing a caravan? Since we last had ours out the new Safety Cameras (:rolleyes:) have been rolled out, and it seems that these new cameras are also catching articulated trucks going over 80km/h, and the latest is for someone to have been caught towing a trailer over 80km/h in a 100km/h zone.

I understand that on national N roads the limit is 80km/h, but having done some searching I've been left confused as to what the legal limit is on our motorways? Some sources say that a trailer with a DGVW over 750kg is subject to an 80km limit, others say a braked trailer where the train weight of towing vehicle + trailer is less than 3500kg is 100km/h limit.

Anyone know for certain? I'll be driving a Shogun, towing an 18ft caravan, so I'm probably in or around the 3500kg limit (plan on heading to a weigh bridge once the covers come off).

Just value my licence and don't want to be getting done for 90km/h on the motorway. :o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Anyone towing a trailer is restricted to 80km/h max.

Some coaches where recently allowed to travel at 100km/h.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭Gene Hunt

one answer: 80km max

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Unlike other jurisdictions, if towing ANY trailer be it a lightweight baggage trailer like THIS or a 44 tonne HGV the speed limit is 80KmPH on ANY road :rolleyes:

Advertisement