Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile number reallocated

Options
  • 08-04-2011 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

So I was on a prepaid plan with my service provider where minutes were supposed to have an expiry date of one year after activation. I subsequently went abroad (there was still a balance of minutes) and when I returned, within that year, my phone number had been reallocated. I'm currently in a fight with said provider trying to get refunded for these minutes. It's a matter of principle, not the money as it's literally just a few quid. I've been denied flat out during all attempts, despite going at it a number of different routes. Anybody have any advice or know if they have any legal grounding in simply 'eating' the minutes and offering no form of compensation? The response I'm getting is that they aren't legally obliged to refund anything because prepaid minutes are 'non-refundable'. From my point of view, I think the company is guilty of false advertising if indeed phone numbers are re-allocated despite having perfectly valid credit still attached to them. Many thanks, guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Have you tried a registered letter rather than phone calls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I believe dormant phone numbers can be reallocated after 6 months, not 12. Any unused credit when an account goes dormant would normally be forfeit.

Do you have it in writing that your account could be left unused for 12 months? If you have nothing in writing, then you're on the losing end of the battle from the start.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If you give the name of the mobile provider I'm sure we can confirm if the period is 6 months or twelve, I believe it is 6 months in which case they have done nothing wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ballypoo

Thanks for the responses so far. I've called into the shop, rang the customer service number and also sent a registered complain letter to the company, T-Mobile (US). Cabaal, I'm not sure if you would have any info on them seeing as they're not in the Irish market to my knowledge? I've gone through all the documentation I was given and there is nothing that refers to the ownership of the number or dormant accounts. The thing that bothers me about the 6 month dormancy clause (if that's the case) is that they guarantee your prepaid credit for year. The math doesn't add up. I just think it's an unjust representation, basically, and hate to let them away with something like this. Nevermind the fact that I had that number for over 4 years without hassle, coming back and forth between the US & Ireland the whole time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You need to check this in the US, as the rules and laws over there are very different to here. What applies to mobile companies (number reallocation periods and consumer rights) in Ireland has no baring on US companies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

It may be 12 months as long as theres a chargeable transaction done like a text or call, if that hasnt been done then it might be 6 months, Irish providers have lowered it to 6 months too. you dont own your phone number btw, its the providers and its usually in the t&cs that they can remove the service at any time as they wish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

I use T-mobile when in the US and here is there Terms and Conditions with regard the Pay as you go service:
    Limited time offers; subject to change. Taxes and fees additional. Prepaid Monthly Plans: Plan features available for 30 days; if sufficient account balance, plans automatically renew at the end of 30 days. If balance is insufficient to renew for 60 days, account will be converted to Pay As You Go and Pay As You Go terms, including service availability, will apply. Pay As You Go: Service available for 90 days (one year for Gold Rewards) after activation/refill. After that, your account will be suspended and no service will be available. Gold Rewards requires activation of $100 in refills; you must refill while on Pay As You Go plan to obtain full Gold Rewards benefits. General Terms: Sufficient balance required to use service. Calls rated on a per minute basis; partial minutes rounded up for billing. By using service, you accept T-Mobile’s Terms and Conditions.

As you can see if you dont top up within 90 days they will suspend it. The 12 months is only for gold customers i.e topping up with $100 cards.

So how it works:

Prepaid plan: 30 days + 90 days
    Pay as you go: 90 Days
    Gold: 1 year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ballypoo

I'll see if I find out what the standard practice is in terms of how long you are entitled to keep your mobile number without usage. Tallaghtoutlaws, as far as the various schemes you outlined above, I was on the Gold Rewards programme so the service should have been valid for that year stretch since activation or refill. Thanks a mill for all the advice. It will probably come of nothing, but I've filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau using those excepted Terms & Conditions.

Advertisement