Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laying patio slabs on concrete

Options
  • 08-04-2011 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭

I have a relatively flat concrete base up to the back door..its not very attractive at all and I want to create a small patio area leading up to it. first question is can i lay patio slabs directly onto concrete and bring up the bits on the grass section to the required hight or would i need a sand or mortar base? I am not very good at DIY but I give it a go.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

I have a relatively flat concrete base up to the back door..its not very attractive at all and I want to create a small patio area leading up to it. first question is can i lay patio slabs directly onto concrete and bring up the bits on the grass section to the required hight or would i need a sand or mortar base? I am not very good at DIY but I give it a go.

In the unlikely event that the concrete level is perfect you will need to bed the slabs on top with the aid of sand or mortar (essential for sandstone).

Depending on what slab material you are using, eg concrete flags, these may be layed on a light sand base on top of existing concrete. Important to check that you obtain good level and even fall. If using other material, eg sandstone, you'll need to lay slabs on a mortar base (minimum 25mm).

Grass level can be easliy adjusted and raised up to meet new level.

Good luck.

Advertisement