Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Breakdown cover and Health Insurance for European trip

• 08-04-2011 3:20pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Guys I need to sort out breakdown cover and health insurance for a 2 week trip to France over Easter. I've been having a look around but wanted to see if anyone has any personal recommendations?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭eire-kp

For health insurance apply for an e1 11 card at your healthboard. I got very sick in italy...intensive care, mri scans the works!
    Showed the card and walked out the door! One advantage of being in the EU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

eire-kp wrote: »
    For health insurance apply for an e1 11 card at your healthboard. I got very sick in italy...intensive care, mri scans the works!
    Showed the card and walked out the door! One advantage of being in the EU.

The E111 or EHIC covers you for basic medical treatment in any EU/EEA countries, all it gives you is the same cover as a resident of the state is entitled to. If sh!t happens and you need repatriation the EHIC doesn't cover that and that's the expensive part.

You still need travel insurance in the EU to get you home if the worst happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭munsterleinster

Get some proper insurance.
    . E111/EHIC is fine for the hospital visit but won't pay any expenses or help in getting your battered ar$e home if you have an off.

www.getcover.ie
    Don't book on their webpage as it doesn't have the option for category 2 hazardous activities. Call them. I paid about €33 for 11 days in Europe.

For the breakdown,check if your insurance includes it. I'm with Adelaide so only UK & Irl. might be best to get an annual cover:
    www.breakdowncover.ie
    They are about €80 a year for the bike for the whole of europe but the policy is useful as you can immediately swap online to your car at no cost.
    It's underwritten by Axa Assist so a good network.

Enjoy..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I'm with AON and their breakdown cover works in europe. Worth giving your insurance company a ring to confirm, and to program the number into your phone.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Cheers lads. I'm with Quinn and I'm not covered in Europe 

I called www.breakdowncover.ie but they say they do not cover motorcycles!

Called the AA and breakdown cover is €119
    Blue insurance with grade 3 is €108 for a year or €59 for 11 days.

€227 is pretty steep! Works out at €20 a day!

I’ll see if I can call some more later. Any other recommendations I should try?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Right, I ended up getting travel insurance with www.chill.ie - €52 for full cover for a whole year, multi-trip. Brilliant!

Breakdown cover, only the AA do it for motorbikes in Ireand. €119 for up to 17 days. So, I called the AA in the UK and gave my mates UK address, got it down to €80. Might try a few others in the UK also

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭munsterleinster

Zascar wrote: »
    Right, I ended up getting travel insurance with www.chill.ie - €52 for full cover for a whole year, multi-trip. Brilliant!
    Good price...Does that cover bikes over 50cc?

Breakdown cover, only the AA do it for motorbikes in Ireand. €119 for up to 17 days. So, I called the AA in the UK and gave my mates UK address, got it down to €80. Might try a few others in the UK also

Pain in the ar$e that www.breakdowncover.ie don't do it any more.
    As they were underwritten by Axa Assistance, I wonder if you'll get any luck calling them direct?

I'd be careful with the breakdown cover from UK . I had looked into it and the small print said the journey must start from the UK to be valid. If the worst happens they may look for proof of your embarcation:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭Sputnik

They don't explicitly mention bikes on the site. Did you need to ring them?

Yep I called them. As long as you are wearing a helmet and you are not racing, you are covered. :)

Re the breakdown cover, I know the UK thing is a bit risky, but I figure of I do break down at the side of the road or need a toe etc, it will be grand. In the highly unlikely event of something bigger happening it might be tricky. Still i refuse to pay €119 for 10 days away from the AA, compete ripoff!

I think I'll chose my insurer better next time

Yep I called them. As long as you are wearing a helmet and you are not racing, you are covered. :)

Did you get that it writing? I wouldn't like to be in a hospital in France and find out my travel insurance isn't valid.
    Re the breakdown cover, I know the UK thing is a bit risky, but I figure of I do break down at the side of the road or need a toe etc, it will be grand. In the highly unlikely event of something bigger happening it might be tricky. Still i refuse to pay €119 for 10 days away from the AA, compete ripoff!

I think I'll chose my insurer better next time

Was AON €120 dearer then you're current insurer?

• Advertisement

Was over in the Motorhome and Caravan forum and they've posed that ADAC offer EU wide breakdown and travel insurance. ADAC are the German AA on steroids.

I went to the ADAC site, but my German is none existent and online translators don't make sense. Are bikes covered? I've asked the same question in the thread.

I ended up going with these guys: http://www.vehicle-rescue.com only cost me £25. I had to give a uk address and a uk reg (my bike was a uk import).

I had to use them as well, my chain became very loose and needed adjusting. The guys came and fixed it for me, however with the AA etc all they do is toe you

Advertisement