Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic Warden Job in New Ross

Options
  • 08-04-2011 3:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

Anyone know anything about it, as in numbers called to interviews etc My friend has an interview after months of being unemployed. He thinks he isn't in with a hope as he's thinking huge numbers and also that the job is already gone and these interviews are just a formality. It's breaking my heart to look at him, being unemployed for so long has taken its tol on his spirit :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

Havent heard anything about the interviews but the man with the six month head start will surely have a serious advantage. I'm sure the whole thing will be subject to major scrutiny but its hard to see how anyone else will get it, that is of course if he interviews for it. He may well decide its just not worth the hassle due to the adverse publicity regarding someone on full garda pension taking the job that may well keep some young lad from emigrating. (the current temp is possibly the best man for the job but thats another issue)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Huge amount of applications for the post,no harm in going if called for interview-you never no unless you go.Another thing is getting the experience of being in an interview situation,it will help for further interviews in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Agree with Zerks - Go for the interview .

Tell them why you believe you are the man for the job .

This job was always low-key and previous wardens always got the job done in a low profile manner .

However , the recent appointment appears to stand out from the crowd and the on-street presence is very visible .

This can make motorists uncomfortable and drive them out of town , which is the last thing NR needs .

This job was always low-key and previous wardens always got the job done in a low profile manner .

However , the recent appointment appears to stand out from the crowd and the on-street presence is very visible .

This can make motorists uncomfortable and drive them out of town , which is the last thing NR needs .

It won't drive them out of town,it might make them park more responsibly,although it doesn't seem to work in Enniscorthy where they park anywhere,usually the bus stop or on the roundabout outside the Credit Union.
    Even the warden admits it's like fighting a losing battle sometimes,maybe a tow truck would change drivers mentalities.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

zerks wrote: »
    Even the warden admits it's like fighting a losing battle sometimes,maybe a tow truck would change drivers mentalities.

Ha, you'll never get a tow truck big enough to move enniscorthy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭muirsheen

I have to agree with you here I rarely go down town any more because of this man's presence on the streets. I'd rather go to Tesco or go to Waterford , have to pay for my parking down there but more choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Squiggle

muirsheen wrote: »
    I have to agree with you here I rarely go down town any more because of this man's presence on the streets.

What's the problem if you have your ticket and don't you have the first 15 mins free anyway? If there is a problem with pricing/ free period then surely it's the town council that should be taking the criticism?

Squiggle wrote: »
    What's the problem if you have your ticket and don't you have the first 15 mins free anyway? If there is a problem with pricing/ free period then surely it's the town council that should be taking the criticism?

The problem is that Irish people feel they have a divine right to park wherever they like.They should count themselves lucky it's not like other countries where illegally parked cars causing obstructions get towed.
    As I said in a previous post,Enniscorthy has some of the worst offenders in the country,parking in the bus stop and on the Abbey Square roundabout-I mean where else would you see people parking on a roundabout??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭laughter189

Of course Traffic Wardens are necessary , and play an important part in stopping motorists from parking in wheelchair spaces / roundabouts , etc etc .

However , they must have reasonable grounds for issuing a parking fine , and most definately use their discretion .

But I am led to believe that the warden in NR , has been continuously issuing fines to shopkeepers who park outside their premises to unload goods , and also fines to housholders who park outside their front door .

If this is true , then I believe , the criticism levelled at the warden is correct , even though he may be instructed to do this by his employers .

Excerpt from local paper :

14 Feb 2011 ... Butcher Tony: I won't pay my parking fines. A NEW ROSS butcher has put his head on the chopping block by refusing to pay parking fines as ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Do they really get a lot of stick?id say its a tough job in that respect.

• Advertisement

I think the fact that our traffic warden does his job in his old refurbished uniform and has been known to check for baldy tyres and tax makes it unfavourable for people to chance parking in town .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

muirsheen wrote: »
    I think the fact that our traffic warden does his job in his old refurbished uniform and has been known to check for baldy tyres and tax makes it unfavourable for people to chance parking in town .

seriously? people wont "chance" parking, because their illegal car might be caught? unfavorable? the only chance they are taking is their lives going around with bald tyres and not paying tax. and wanting to park illegally too it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

People shouldn't have bald tyres, expired insurance or tax, etc. But there needs to be a balance between a traffic warden doing his or her job and their trying to be the sheriff in a wild west town (I am the law, kinda thing). If people think that they'll be fined €80 for spending 5 minutes over their ticket time, be it after 15 mins or 2 hours, then they will naturally tend to try avoid that by either rushing in and out or by avoiding the town altogether. Neither scenario is good for the town.

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    People shouldn't have bald tyres, expired insurance or tax, etc. But there needs to be a balance between a traffic warden doing his or her job and their trying to be the sheriff in a wild west town (I am the law, kinda thing). If people think that they'll be fined €80 for spending 5 minutes over their ticket time, be it after 15 mins or 2 hours, then they will naturally tend to try avoid that by either rushing in and out or by avoiding the town altogether. Neither scenario is good for the town.

Thanks Dilbert thats exactly what I wanted to say.Its the sheriff attitude that is so off putting. From speaking to others I don't think its his job to check for baldy tyres

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭V480

I've got an interview for this job...I'm young, unemployed and not a former Guard...I'm guessing that this makes my chances pretty slim eh?!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭daddy_boy

Hope you get the job at least it will get rid of Deputy Dawg :D

V480 wrote: »
    I've got an interview for this job...I'm young, unemployed and not a former Guard...I'm guessing that this makes my chances pretty slim eh?!

Good luck with the interview. Sooner some one new takes over the better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭V480

Didn't get the job :(

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭daddy_boy

sorry to hear that

Advertisement