Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Late Late Show 08/04/11

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

It's a shame to think that Tubridy is paid 800k for being crap at his job and these lads are on the dole when they are at the height of the GAA game here...

Maybe it is a shame. That doesn't mean they can do a PR stunt like this on public broadcasting tv. I never saw an ad run on for so long during the Late Late Show...

I mean we all have our problems in life. What are we supposed to say "jeez, that sounds unfair"? Maybe we don't care. If they have fiscal issues in the GPA then that's their own business surely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭HoneyRyder

pebbles21 wrote: »
    Sorry Honey but i normally watch it and not post at the same time,but tonights episode changed all that

Oh sorry Pebbles, was just kidding. I'm sure you'll find posting here will bring a whole new realm of enjoyment to your viewing

I'm a huge GAA fan but I really don't get why Tubs seem to think that being a hurler makes these guys more worthy of employment than anyone else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭johnn

These GAA players should try giving up the game & concentrate on doing an honest days work :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Sick of listening to Lar's whinging

So your from Kilkenny?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Dr. Nick wrote: »
    Wow. What age is she? Some good 'work' done surely?

Don't know (50ish??) and yes probably but it's not obvious. She looks good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Why don't ya top yourself you ginger whinger
    Please delete that insensitive post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

baldbear wrote: »
    Jeez DLB hasn't a clue about sport.

he does POCKET BILLIARDS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Mkb1441

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Why do "lads" who play on the local GAA team deserve a job more then others?

They don't. I think what Tubbridy is trying to show is that these guys are well known sports "stars" yet they can't escape the recession and unemployment.

What is the answer....Get Jobs.

It's like me suddenly deciding I should be paid for the kick-about I have at the weekend.

Luckily I know better than to go on TV making a fool of myself demanding it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

Think everyone one is missing the point here, the topic is about the GAA earning millions a year and not playing the players, who earn it for them, a penny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭Craebear

Is there such thing as a GAA player that doesn't sound like a complete gombeen?

There is a bright side - look at all the time they have for training :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Spudmonkey wrote: »
    They are three sounds lads, three good athletes and are living off 200 euro a week when a thug like Rooney is on 250k a week. It doesn't add up.
    It does add up, these guys (unfortunately) play in a sport that is watched by a tiny audience and generates very little money (from a worldwide perspective) Rooney plays in a multi billion pound industry an gets paid according to the revenue and interest generated worldwide, sad but true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

Ye should watch the Savage Eye Sketch about the hurler getting a job in a bank. It was brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

They don't. I think what Tubbridy is trying to show is that these guys are well known sports "stars" yet they can't escape the recession and unemployment.

I reckon all he's doing is trying to prove he's not in a Montrose bubble, and as a side effect, depressing the nation-at least those who watch this and take it to heart.

Doesn't Tubs look very watery-eyed or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

johnn wrote: »
    These GAA players should try giving up the game & concentrate on doing an honest days work :rolleyes:

Yeah because having pride in your county is bad,and while you dont work and decide to stay in the county and play a sport your proud of for feck all,and these lads look like they dont want to work.They have done an more honest's day work on the field than you have ever done.

CoDy1 wrote: »
    Think everyone one is missing the point here, the topic is about the GAA earning millions a year and not playing the players, who earn it for them, a penny.

Surely if everything earned is given to the players the organisation would collapse?

There isn't exactly a huge market for it to grow and make more money to facilitate paying huge sums to players, that they would need for all of them to turn pro.

They seem to be somehow confused, on a sort of instinctive/paleolithic level. "i r winner, unemployment is loser".... there's a cognitive dissonance there.

The GAA is something you do as a hobby. If it doesn't reward you, then don't do it. Don't take out your issues of how you consider yourself so great because of your GAA out on us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I apologise unreservedly for my frivolous comments about suicide. It's certainly no laughing matter. Sorry. A bit tired and emotional tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

One day at a tiiiime, Sweet Jesus !

All together now.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭xi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR6gVS1okhCz43Zzkz0U-8E6PFvBvqT_gRfPbmHav0KXfSfJr6h

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

The walking dead is singing

SkidMark wrote: »
    One day at a tiiiime, Sweet Jesus !

All together now.

Sweet Jesus is right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Well obviously no one can escape the recession.

Why would a "well known sports star" be recession proof?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 DFW

Sweet Jesus!!!!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Is the GAA a profit making entity, with a set of shareholders who are paid large annual dividends etc? Do they live in big mansions and have yachts in Malahide marina? Or how does this profiteering work?

It must have come as a shock to those playing county football when they discovered after signing their contracts or whatever that they would not be paid. It's ridiculous, someone should have told them it was an amateur sport. It's disgraceful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Is it just me or did she actually hit one of the notes there?

Yeah because having pride in your county is bad,and while you dont work and decide to stay in the county and play a sport your proud of for feck all,and these lads look like they dont want to work.They have done an more honest's day work on the field than you have ever done.

How is playing the sport holding any of them back getting a Job, any more so than any person in the country. Why are GAA players suddenly "victims"?

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭xi

I would

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭timewilltell

Tonight's show has given me flashbacks of Pat Kenny's Late Late. *Shiver*

Up the Deise! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Conor Counihan had a fit of laughing when tubs mixed up the lads names. Its like when you're in mass and get the urge to laugh. He couldn't stop. :D

• Advertisement

Tonight's show reminds me of the crap eldery people in nursing homes have to watch every afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭cutymonalisa

Strangle the auld wan please - my ears my ears :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Oh dear.. This old biddy lives near me at home. Used to go to school with her son. Her garden is a mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

Sorry. A bit tired and emotional tonight

Eamon Dunphy? Is that you?

Mkb1441 wrote: »
    Sweet Jesus is right

Jesus wept :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

Good night all.

Yer man on her left is bangin da chunes man

This is like some horrible parody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

I think we got that.

But it's not what the players signed up to.

The players need either to play and not get paid. Or they can choose not to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

There's only one thing that could rescue this show now:

WILLIE BIG BANG CASEY ON A UNICYCLE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

johnn wrote: »
    Surely if everything earned is given to the players the organisation would collapse?

There isn't exactly a huge market for it to grow and make more money to facilitate paying huge sums to players, that they would need for all of them to turn pro.

True but we are not talking Rooney wages here, They should get something at least. Doesn't make sense playing in front of 30-40,000 paying spectators and not getting paid for it. I ain't a Gaa man at all btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

To be honest.. after a show like tonight's .. obesity, depression, unemployment etc etc .... "One day at a time"... it's like the closing bit of advice for everybody..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Greentopia wrote: »
    Up the Deise! :D

WTF does Deise mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

This kind of performance would be more at home on 'Live at Three'

Bring back 'Live at Three' for the really old people.

Bear Grylls Charlie Haughey

• Advertisement
Advertisement