Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Late Late Show 08/04/11

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

daddydick wrote: »
    People here who are ridiculing the likes of Larry Corbett and Padraig Maher for going on the LLS and telling their story need to ask themselves two questions:

1) what went wrong in my life that I find myself sitting in on a Friday night watching a show I hate while moaning and complaining to strangers over the internet?

A bit presumptuous there old chap. Who said I'm here (or indeed any of us) because I have something wrong with my life?
    I choose to be here because it's a good laugh on a night I don't have much on, that's all.
    It's a bit of fun. That's the main reason for me, not just to moan and complain about the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

Before people think I'm biased, if it was other countymen doing the same thing, would have no problems.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

dx22 wrote: »
    I feel sorry for the poor chap i wish someone would take him aside and tell him he should consider something else as a career. I dont blame him i blame the producers.

I wonder how many people are going to show up to his gig. That thought is kind of funny actually. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Skyrim wrote: »
    Why are people bitter towards Lar and Co? Lar is the current HOTY and still can't get work, Paudie and Conor are high profile and still can't get anything. Sure if we were in the same position we'd talk about it too. Fair play Paudie, Lar and Conor. Proud to have ye as countymen. Stop being so bitter. At least they're using an avenue available to them.

I'm sorry I don't understand what you are saying.

What is a HOTY?

What avenue are you talking about and how are they using it?

Before people think I'm biased, if it was other countymen doing the same thing, would have no problems.

:confused:
    What are you biased towards?
    Other countrymen doing what?

Hurler of the Year
    If they're asked to come on, why not use it to share their stories. I say fair play to them, I'd do the same in that situation. There's about 7 of the Tipp lads out of work and maybe more at the moment, of course they'll highlight the unemployment issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

dx22 wrote: »
    I feel sorry for the poor chap i wish someone would take him aside and tell him he should consider something else as a career. I dont blame him i blame the producers.

Who?

DLB?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭starryeye

daddydick wrote: »
    People here who are ridiculing the likes of Larry Corbett and Padraig Maher for going on the LLS and telling their story need to ask themselves two questions:

1) what went wrong in my life that I find myself sitting in on a Friday night watching a show I hate while moaning and complaining to strangers over the internet?

2) what do other people think of my attitude...hmmm...i wonder how i come across to others?

cheer up lads, live and let live and give people a chance...dont be constantly cutting people down it gets boring

Hi, This post provides me with the opportunity of apologising to all forum contributors from last week. I got a bit upset with the content of some of the posts but I wish to say that I apologise for calling people fools for what they wrote and I deeply regret the insulting remark I made. Thank you to posters for saying I am welcome on the boards when someone earlier mentioned I had made no posts yet. I just wanted to apologise and I am glad that all views are respected and in answer to the poster I just quoted don't take it too seriously because it is a discussion board, open to a variety of views and should be seen in this light. Thanks.

Hurler of the Year
    If they're asked to come on, why not use it to share their stories. I say fair play to them, I'd do the same in that situation. There's about 7 of the Tipp lads out of work and maybe more at the moment, of course they'll highlight the unemployment issue.

Why are hurlers needed to highlight the unemployment issue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭xi

Mkb1441 wrote: »
    Yeah I know, but I never did THAT...

all you will laugh, but can one of you tell me how to post images in order to avoid further fail? :pac:

PM (Private Message) sent

If they were out of work and invited on the LLS and wanted to talk about the unemployment issue.

If they were out of work and invited on the LLS and wanted to talk about the unemployment issue.

Are you talking about the hurlers?

Again I ask why hurlers are needed to highlight the unemployment issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Awful shite tonight above any night.
    Tubridy is on autopilot, as are the studio audience by the looks and sounds of it.

if you hadn't noticed the ordinary joe soap on the street who gets unemployed would barely raise an eyebrow. Someone in the spotlight would be need to create a bit of noise. We do live in Ireland after all, an unfair society a lot of the times.

if you hadn't noticed the ordinary joe soap on the street who gets unemployed would barely raise an eyebrow. Someone in the spotlight would be need to create a bit of noise. We do live in Ireland after all, an unfair society a lot of the times.

I see all people as equal.

I don't see a hurler as deserving any more attention then a "joe soap" on the street.

"Hoty" means nothing to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭violator13

Just how many times did he say absolutely..??? The fat loss guy.

Well times are tough so get used to it,get over it. HOTY may mean nothing to you, but it means a lot to some people. At least hurlers give us enjoyment at the weekends.

violator13 wrote: »
    Just how many times did he say absolutely..??? The fat loss guy.

That whole thing was just another infomercial.

Frankly I've seen better and more reliable shows on late-night shopping channels (often far more entertaining also).

Well times are tough so get used to it,get over it. HOTY may mean nothing to you, but it means a lot to some people. At least hurlers give us enjoyment at the weekends.

So pay them for their work on the pitch. At least we wouldn't have to hear them whinge on the LLS then.

Not all of us. I don't care if I never see another hurling match again. Donate to them if you feel the need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

I see all people as equal.

I don't see a hurler as deserving any more attention then a "joe soap" on the street.

"Hoty" means nothing to me.

To be fair these hurlers are just "Joe Soaps". The LLS has already done young people unemployed and emigrating. Here they were doing it from a different angle, nationally well known guys (HOTY is a huge honour) who still can't escape the jobs crisis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭johnn

xi wrote: »
    Fail the sequel

Don't you mean the Squeakquel?

alvin_and_the_chipmunks_the_squeakquel_wallpaper.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Somebody explain HOTY to me please.

Oroginally I thought you were saying he was a hawtie / hotty but now confused :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭xi

johnn wrote: »
    Don't you mean the Squeakquel?

alvin_and_the_chipmunks_the_squeakquel_wallpaper.jpg

Pissed are we

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Fraher91

Well said Skyrim. Showers of begrudger the lot of ye. At least Lar is doing something positive. Funny seeing a lot of people taking the moral high ground here, these guys are joe soaps so that doesn't make them any different to anyone else, they give up their time to entertain others.

HOTY- Hurler of the year. Well done Lar. Tough times indeed when he can't get work. Smart guy too, he was an electrician.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mulner92

Interesting to look at some of the attitudes of the posters on here, judging by what they say you get the sense that Lar and the lads should turn down jobs and be almost apologetic about talking about their troubles. One final note: Best of luck to the lads who i commend for talking about it and also to Lar in particular at least he isn't going to sit on the dole and i wish him well in his new venture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 micsla

Steyr wrote: »
    WTF does Deise mean.

Are you Irish!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I think people are being a bit mean spirited about the GAA players.. They dont have a sense of entitlement, which is what everybody seems to think... There are a LOT of non GAA people on the dole certainly, and they have as much a right to any job as any of the GAA stars...

But it is very sad to see that someone like Lar Corbett... who has contributed so much to the national game for no remuneration, and has brought so much joy to so many people in this country, and I'm sure (as all county GAA player do) gives some of his time to help promote the game with the younger players..... Is he not just as entitled to a job as anybody else?

micsla wrote: »
    Are you Irish!?

Good question! I answered him on the assumption that he mustn't be
    :confused: Steyr?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

But it is very sad to see that someone like Lar Corbett... who has contributed so much to the national game for no remuneration, and has brought so much joy to so many people in this country, and I'm sure (as all county GAA player do) gives some of his time to help promote the game with the younger players..... Is he not just as entitled to a job as anybody else?
    Yes he is entitled to look for work, but the LLS isn't the FAS office but after tonight I'm not so sure. Anyway, wasn't he plugging the new pub by the end of the interview??

Fraher91 wrote: »
    HOTY- Hurler of the year. Well done Lar. Tough times indeed when he can't get work. Smart guy too, he was an electrician.

Very True. I met lar Corbett after the All Ireland and can honestly say he is the most honest modest bloke going. Some of the typical Irish miserable begrudgery that goes on in this thread week in - week out, is an absolute joke. You wouldnt mind Padraic Maher said that the game would lack the passion if they were paid.

To those of you who say you dont like Tubridy like you claim you do then why watch the f*cking show? every bloody week moaning here on boards. pathetic!

theres no middle ground whatsoever. i dont like tubridy but there is times he has good guests and other times it is woeful and yes he is overpaid but every week pages upon pages of how crap the show is. seriously?

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Yes he is entitled to look for work, but the LLS isn't the FAS office but after tonight I'm not so sure. Anyway, wasn't he plugging the new pub by the end of the interview??

Yes he did mention his new venture, its what business people do and especially in a recession. More power to him. A genuine good guy. the best of luck to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Yes he did mention his new venture, its what business people do and especially in a recession. More power to him. A genuine good guy. the best of luck to him.

He is an unemployed businessman?

Agreed, don't know why people on this site have such a problem with them on the LLS, you wouldn't mind but they probably don't know the guys either, i met them on several occasions very sound men. I can only hope the situation gets better for them. Lot of the Tipp lads out of work, strange scenario for the all ireland champions.

I have no issue with Lar Corbett, I hope that his pub goes well and that Tipp people will support him and his fellow players. However, it is a bit much to come on the programme moaning about being out of work when you signed advertising deals with supermarkets. There are a lot of GAA men out there that contribute alot to the game but will never see an All Ireland Medal (because their from one of the weaker counties) but they play because they have pride in their county jersey, there the lads that need the job slot. Lets face it most lads that win All Irelands normally make a lot of of money on the back of it and more power to them.

To those of you who say you dont like Tubridy like you claim you do then why watch the f*cking show? every bloody week moaning here on boards. pathetic!

A triumph of optimism over experience? :D
    But seriously dude, if people want to have a moan at a talentless grossly overpaid FF lackey like RT presenting a prime time Friday night show that's full of the same formulaic crap and second-rate guests (not all the time of course but too many) week in week out what's it to ya?
    I've said it before-we're entitled-yes entitled! because we pay his wages with our TV licence, to higher quality Friday night viewing than what we get from the LLS.
    As I said upthread I come here for the craic more than to moan anyway. I think most people do.

Also do you really think you're the first person to say "why do ye watch it if ye don't like it?" :rolleyes: Every. Single. Week someone comes here and says this. It's old hat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Fraher91 wrote: »
    Lot of the Tipp lads out of work, strange scenario for the all ireland champions.

They didn't win the all ireland for interview techniques.
    They didn't win the all ireland for interview CV compiling.
    They didn't win the all ireland for work experience.

Greentopia wrote: »
    A triumph of optimism over experience? :D
    But seriously dude, if people want to have a moan at a talentless grossly overpaid FF lackey like RT presenting a prime time Friday night show that's full of the same formulaic crap and second-rate guests (not all the time of course but too many) week in week out what's it to ya?
    I've said it before-we're entitled-yes entitled! because we pay his wages with our TV licence, to higher quality Friday night viewing than what we get from the LLS.
    As I said upthread I come here for the craic more than to moan anyway. I think most people do.

But it is every single week no matter who is on the show still the same criticisms yet he still registers your Nielsen Ratings or whatever the system we have here. If Gaddafi was on the show tonight or if he talked to the dead it would be the same ****e. Ill talk if i like btw as we live in the Republic of Ireland 2011, not Nazi Germany 1939 so if you dont like it you know what you can do.

• Advertisement

mikom wrote: »
    They didn't win the all ireland for interview techniques.
    They didn't win the all ireland for interview CV compiling.
    They didn't win the all ireland for work experience.

+1
    Also amazingly there are people out there, employers, who wouldn't have an iota of interest in the GAA or know who any of those guys were and cared even less.
    I haven't a clue about GAA, not my thing, why should the fact that they're All-Ireland champions or whatever make it any less surprising that they're out of a job now? They're all amateur players and work in regular jobs (when they were working) like the rest of us.

That's not to say that they shouldn't be applauded for their talent on the field; just that I don't think it should mean anything when going for a job interview. It's their merit as an electrician, brickie or whatever they have to be assessed on alone.
    As MrsDood said the LLS is not FAS ffs.

But it is every single week no matter who is on the show still the same criticisms yet he still registers your Nielsen Ratings or whatever the system we have here. If Gaddafi was on the show tonight or if he talked to the dead it would be the same ****e. Ill talk if i like btw as we live in the Republic of Ireland 2011, not Nazi Germany 1939 so if you dont like it you know what you can do.

Reductio ad Hitlerum=debate FAIL.
    And if you see we're saying the same things week in-week out that means you're here often. Don't you have better things to do? :pac:

+1
    Also amazingly there are people out there, employers, who wouldn't have an iota of interest in the GAA or know who any of those guys were and cared even less.
    I haven't a clue about GAA, not my thing, why should the fact that they're All-Ireland champions or whatever make it any less surprising that they're out of a job now? They're all amateur players and work in regular jobs (when they were working) like the rest of us.

That's not to say that they shouldn't be applauded for their talent on the field; just that I don't think it should mean anything when going for a job interview. It's their merit as an electrician, brickie or whatever they have to be assessed on alone.
    As MrsDood said the LLS is not FAS ffs.

Perhaps they are just trying to give us an indication of the serious jobs crisis in this country when the hurlers cant get jobs. It wasn't FAS or a job interview but a study on how guys who won the All Ireland last season and put in so much training face emigration from the country and the game of which they are at the very top, meanwhile other professional sports stars who put in the same training are on a fortune per week. the least the county board could do is get these guys a number, even a small number to show that they are committed to them.

Reductio ad Hitlerum=debate FAIL.
    And if you see we're saying the same things week in-week out that means you're here often. Don't you have better things to do? :pac:

Yes i have logged on often and i have contributed posts to it. i admit it. But i find there are posters here who log on every week habitually to complain before, during, and after the show about the presenter, the guests, the topics etc. its as if they have an evoked set and are programmed to moan and bitch. seriously why watch a show and write a review every week it happens? im not having a go at you personally but i seems to be the running theme every week no matter if its Nelson Mandela on the show or Biddy from Glenroe

There are also employers who would look at players more because it could boost revenue, it could add to their sales, encourage more customers because they recognise that guy from the sunday game and they are lso good for marketing and promotion.

Perhaps they are just trying to give us an indication of the serious jobs crisis in this country when the hurlers cant get jobs. It wasn't FAS or a job interview but a study on how guys who won the All Ireland last season and put in so much training face emigration from the country and the game of which they are at the very top, meanwhile other professional sports stars who put in the same training are on a fortune per week. the least the county board could do is get these guys a number even a small number to show that they are committed to them.

I understand that but surely we all know by now how serious the unemployment crisis is here? I think it's awful, really awful they can't find work in their own country, I'm under-employed myself; I just didn't see the point of having these guys on to emphasize something that's common knowledge.
    If they were on to argue the point about how GAA players should be professional sports players paid good wages like other professionals that's different, and while they did mention it the interview was substantively about the fact that they were unemployed.

Anyway I'm off to bed.

• Advertisement

Jaysoose wrote: »
    He is an unemployed businessman?

He was unemployed since September but got a job offer last week to run (or put his name to) Kevin Coppinger's bar in Thurles. I must say that is brilliant out of box thinking from Mr Coppinger and credit where due in this recession.

Perhaps they are just trying to give us an indication of the serious jobs crisis in this country when the hurlers cant get jobs. It wasn't FAS or a job interview but a study on how guys who won the All Ireland last season and put in so much training face emigration from the country and the game of which they are at the very top, meanwhile other professional sports stars who put in the same training are on a fortune per week. the least the county board could do is get these guys a number, even a small number to show that they are committed to them.
    The issue of GAA players having to emigrate is very unfortunate but it has received extensive coverage in both National and Provencial media. As for players not receiving payment while other sports professionals do, the reality is that many of the top GAA players had agents during the boom and they charged huge fees to appear at events including GAA events. I am aware of cases where players asked for a couple of thousand euros before they would present medals to a group of kids. If the players want to receive payment than they need to put pressure on the GPA until they deliver improved conditions.

As for expecting the county board to get jobs for players, I think that's the sort of thing that has ruined this country. People should get jobs on merit not because they play hurling.

MrsD007 wrote: »
    The issue of GAA players having to emigrate is very unfortunate but it has received extensive coverage in both National and Provencial media. As for players not receiving payment while other sports professional do, the reality is that many of the top GAA players had agents during the boom and they charged huge fees to appear at events including GAA events. I am aware of cases where players asked for a couple of thousand euros before they would present medals to a group of kids. If the players want to receive payment than they need to put pressure on the GPA until they deliver improved conditions.

As for expecting the county board to get jobs for players, I think that the sort of thing that has ruined this country. People should get jobs on merit not because they play hurling.

i mean the association should look after them within, supposing it was a stewards job or a bar job within the GAA wage bill. The GAA is an organisation albeit non profit but at the end of the day any organisation does not want its best assets to disappear.

i mean the association should look after them within, supposing it was a stewards job or a bar job within the GAA wage bill. The GAA is an organisation albeit non profit but at the end of the day any organisation does not want its best assets to disappear.
    I understand where you are going from but I would imagine that the GAA technically have to advertise any paid positions.

One of the areas where I think that GAA really failed players for a long time was when players got injured and were off work for months with no income. That IMO was completely disgraceful. I think the GAA have a scheme to deal with that now but I'm open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Someone mentioned it on here earlier, Tubridy is on auto pilot right now.

I think he has lost the drive considering the dross he has as guests every week. He looks bored and you cannot successfully fake interest in things you have no interest in. Which in Tubs case is pretty much everything apart from Books, US politics and Twitter.

He is probably seething with the quality of guests delivered up and feels he is better than this. The snob in him doesn't want to be interviewing Biddy from Glenroe.

The late late needs a real maverick to host it with a degree of creative control. Tubridy cannot rely on execs to deliver him with top guests. He needs to make the show cool again, breath fresh air into it with controversial, challenging and intriguing interviews. Sure most a-list guests just want to come on shows with huge viewing numbers. But there are some who love a challenge too and to be interviewed in a fun and fresh way. Tubridy just cannot do this.

You can see him switch off with certain guests, id say he thinks he could do alot better than some of the guests he has had on.

But interestingly, its with the so called bigger names that he has bombed. Interviews he should have been excited about. Samuel L Jackson and Juliette Binoche spring to mind.
    The looks on their faces conveyed their probable thoughts- "This is your top guy????"

• Advertisement
Advertisement