Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Media hostility towards metal and prog

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭DaylightDies

Nailz wrote: »
    I've noticed that Rock and Metal has been almost ignored. But yes, I've seen some scorn by some idiot who wrote for the Guardian (yes, I realise the irony in that sentence) who wrote shït about Rage Against the Machine when that whole Christman No. 1 thing was going on and started talking about how he grew up listening to great artists like Stevie Wonder and some other crap band from the 80's who played cheesy keyboard chart dung — I laughed, he's obviously never listened to Putrid Pile. But in fairness I rarely see much else from journalists. I just don't see Metal, Prog & Jazz being reviewed much.

I hate the way Metal has become slightly more popular than it used to be, not because I'm an elitist or anything but there's certainly more idiots listening to the music and going to the gigs which genuine fans can do without.

If one genre was to come and start ripping up the mainstream that would be one of my favourite genres — Avant Garde, maybe a bit of Progressive Jazz too, great stuff. That'll fück shït up for sure!

I've been an Opeth fan for around 10 years at this stage and I've been to see them play 6 times and every time there was an increasing number of people sporting side fringes at their shows. I asked a chap what his favourite Opeth song was and he said Baying of the Hounds, lulz.

What sickens me is all these people getting into progressive rock/metal and they haven't a clue. I had a debate with some guy who claimed "Savatage have absolutely no progressive influences why you calling them Prog Metal they're just hair metal.." . I guess if you don't play 20 minute long songs the music hasn't got any progressive elements. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I asked a chap what his favourite Opeth song was and he said Baying of the Hounds, lulz.
    No doubt I'm missing your point but that is an Opeth song isn't it so what's so funny about someone choosing that as their favourite?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

I've been an Opeth fan for around 10 years at this stage and I've been to see them play 6 times and every time there was an increasing number of people sporting side fringes at their shows. I asked a chap what his favourite Opeth song was and he said Baying of the Hounds, lulz.

What sickens me is all these people getting into progressive rock/metal and they haven't a clue. I had a debate with some guy who claimed "Savatage have absolutely no progressive influences why you calling them Prog Metal they're just hair metal.." . I guess if you don't play 20 minute long songs the music hasn't got any progressive elements. :pac:

Smacks of elitism bullcrap to me ...

I only started listening to Opeth when they released "Watershed" , and I was only drawn to them because I read Steve Wilson from Porcupine Tree was working with them ... Ive only seen them live once (Vicar St - Watershed tour) ... would you lulz at me too ? Am I not worthy of attending an Opeth gig ? Despite the fact Ive been going to Rock/Metal gigs since Thin Lizzy's Farewell in the RDS 1983 ....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Just to redress the balance a little on metal's hostility to the Guardian :D

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/metal

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

I asked a chap what his favourite Opeth song was and he said Baying of the Hounds, lulz.

That's one of my favourite Opeth songs :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Joe_Dull wrote: »

yeah thats a pretty good song, particularly near the end with the epic acoustic guitars, reminds of the siege at helms deep for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

greendom wrote: »
    Just to redress the balance a little on metal's hostility to the Guardian :D

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/metal

another reason for me to like the guardian, quality paper

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Joe_Dull wrote: »

It is my favourite Opeth song, guess I better never show up again due to not being a fan long enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭AhSureTisGrand

Truth be told, metal doesn't really need a huge amount of press anyway. It seems to survive alright no matter what. Just look at what happened grunge and punk, for example. They came along, forced metal underground but it kept coming back while how many other genres have pretty much fallen by the wayside?

You can't kill The Metal...

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

Mushy wrote: »
    It is my favourite Opeth song, guess I better never show up again due to not being a fan long enough.

It's a disgrace. There ought to be a mandatory headphone checkpoint at the venue. Any ticketholders who can't name clips from tracks older than "Blackwater Park" are refused admission.

• Advertisement
Advertisement