Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visa debit cards on xbox live

• 08-04-2011 4:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,853 ✭✭✭✭

Probably asked before but this new boards search engine dosent do it for me, sorry if it was.

So, is it safe to use a visa debit card to pay for stuff? When I look it up I can only find info on laser/credit cards, not much if anything on debit cards. Seen portal is only 600 points so I fancy buying it, I've only 120 ATM. I know there's prepaid cards but this just seems more convenient. I'm 18 and the only person using the xbox so I don't need any local security if that's the correct term.

Im guessing it's pretty safe, just looking for help is all, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

They only store the last 4 digits on the xbox, so people cant see the full 16. But its setup for easy purchase so watch that confirm purchase button ;)

NB: They dont accept laser on XBL, and some Visa Debits dont work in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭cython

Also, while it's safe enough, it's also usually the most expensive way of going about things if you're getting points or a gold sub. Have a look at the sticky at the top of the forum for cheaper ways to get codes using your card on Paypal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

My only gripe with paying via cc for live is that they keep your details on line and auto renew taking the money as they go. I'd rather buy a card at a shop and enter a code. That way I'm in control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

If you don't want auto renewal then call xbox cust support and turn it off, simple as that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Do the pre paid credit cards work. Have moved country but the stupid xbox region settings won't let you move so I cannot get the UK stuff and I also cannot buy stuff that is listed for money rather than points. So is it possible to get a pre paid card that MS would recognise as being Irish whilst not actually being in Ireland yourself?

• Advertisement

Subscriptions arent region bound, however points are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Subscriptions and points work fine between UK and Ireland.

You cannot however buy stuff that costs a genuine currency once you move to a country other than the one you originally registered your Live account in. I'm trying to find a way round that.

Unfortuantely you cant, if you buy points in the US they wont work here, unless you setup a US account. but then you cant download content anyway.

Nah, its not the points I have a problem with.

Have Irish Live account. No longer live in Ireland so don't have an Irish credit card any longer. Occasionally want to buy stuff on Live in Euros which is what some things are priced in.

I have plenty of points and subscription codes which can be bought externally from Microsoft from other EU sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭hannable80

Is there a number to call to cancel it cant remember which e-mail or password i used :(

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭hannable80

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Probably asked before but this new boards search engine dosent do it for me, sorry if it was.

So, is it safe to use a visa debit card to pay for stuff? When I look it up I can only find info on laser/credit cards, not much if anything on debit cards. Seen portal is only 600 points so I fancy buying it, I've only 120 ATM. I know there's prepaid cards but this just seems more convenient. I'm 18 and the only person using the xbox so I don't need any local security if that's the correct term.

Im guessing it's pretty safe, just looking for help is all, thanks.

I use mine for points, basically once it has the Visa logo on it it is treated as such, irrespective of the debit/credit situation (or at least that's my understanding)

As for safety, i would regard it as safe as paypal IIH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Ive got Ulster Bank Visa Debit and it works grand

Advertisement