Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Networked computers?

Options
  • 08-04-2011 4:47pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭

We have 3-4 computers connected to the Eircom broadband router, the computers are used by turning it on and password, not really networked to eachother.

Basically this is what we would like to do and were up to the challenge:

Have staff have their own login users and passwords that can be logged in at any computer and access files anywhere in the office without using Team viewer or simular. Network printers so every computer can print on printers connected to other computers, have the network controlled by Admins (managers) to prevent staff downloading software and Ctrl alt and delete security.

It would be great if anyone could put me in the right direction and how this could be done.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,338 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Mr_Grumpy wrote: »
    We have 3-4 computers connected to the Eircom broadband router, the computers are used by turning it on and password, not really networked to eachother.

Basically this is what we would like to do and were up to the challenge:

Have staff have their own login users and passwords that can be logged in at any computer and access files anywhere in the office without using Team viewer or simular. Network printers so every computer can print on printers connected to other computers, have the network controlled by Admins (managers) to prevent staff downloading software and Ctrl alt and delete security.

It would be great if anyone could put me in the right direction and how this could be done.

If they're connected to the same router, then they are networked.

If you want network wide profiles/logins, you'll need a domain controller, and OS's on the PC's that support joining a domain. This will also give you the policy control needed to stop people installing things.

In the current state you can at least share the printer on one machine and all can use it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Spear wrote: »
    If they're connected to the same router, then they are networked.

If you want network wide profiles/logins, you'll need a domain controller, and OS's on the PC's that support joining a domain. This will also give you the policy control needed to stop people installing things.

In the current state you can at least share the printer on one machine and all can use it.

Thanks for your reply. I will have the printer setup so it is shared with all computers for the time being. If I was to have network wide profiles etc. What do I need?. All computers are Windows XP bar one that's Vista.

Thanks for your help :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,338 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Mr_Grumpy wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply. I will have the printer setup so it is shared with all computers for the time being. If I was to have network wide profiles etc. What do I need?. All computers are Windows XP bar one that's Vista.

Thanks for your help :)

You'll need Windows XP Professional edition, so it can join domains. You'll need a domain controller.

You could potentially go cheap and attempt to use a Samba server as a domain controller, but that could be too complex for you to admin/configure. But a proper Windows server licence costs money.

Advertisement