Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

pole/bracket advice needed

• 08-04-2011 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hi,
    Could anyone tell me what is the best method for mounting a dish on a north facing wall. I seen something similar to this: http://www.tvtrade.ie/universal-wall-mount-18-stand-off.html.

except the one i seen at the back of a house had only 4 fixings. It seemed to clear the gutters by a good bit. would the one above give similar height, or would it be best to use a H bracket and pole. Are there any other sites with one piece brackets for north facing walls?

Thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Liameter

That one may be too weak. You could use a T+K bracket kit with a stronger pole, like this photo:
    dish-pole-med.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭Martin_F

I've used one of the linked ones to mount a TD58 for the FIL - very easy and convenient all in one solution. There is a bit of flex in the pole - so I reckon it would move a bit in high winds or with an 80cm dish. I located it in a sheltered spot - it's on the back of a dormer so not up high either. With the 2 x 4 bolt mounting it isn't going to come off the wall. Good gutter clearance - and you can turn the pole so that it only sticks out just enough beyond the gutter.

On the link they do say that if you need more height go fo a T+K bracket. I think you get about 1m @ most from the underside of the gutter to the top of the pole.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭paulcdub85

Martin_F wrote: »
    I've used one of the linked ones to mount a TD58 for the FIL - very easy and convenient all in one solution. There is a bit of flex in the pole - so I reckon it would move a bit in high winds or with an 80cm dish. I located it in a sheltered spot - it's on the back of a dormer so not up high either. With the 2 x 4 bolt mounting it isn't going to come off the wall. Good gutter clearance - and you can turn the pole so that it only sticks out just enough beyond the gutter.

On the link they do say that if you need more height go fo a T+K bracket. I think you get about 1m @ most from the underside of the gutter to the top of the pole.
    Thanks. And would 8 coach bolts be sufficient or would you reccomend shield anchors?

The choice of bolt depends on the material you are drilling into. For bricks use plastic plugs. For concrete you can use expanding metal sheath bolts.

paulcdub85 wrote: »
    Thanks. And would 8 coach bolts be sufficient or would you reccomend shield anchors?

I just used 8 standard coach bolts ordered from same source.

I can only say that pole with standard coach bolts was suitable for me. I'm only a diy'er - I've no experience of the separate brackets/poles (which undoubtedly are better in many circumstances).

• Advertisement

This is a coach bolt: http://www.amazon.com/Coach-Bolt-M6-20mm-lm-GB1226/dp/B001OK6P86

For bricks use plastic plugs and screws. For concrete you can use expanding metal sheath bolts. (If you use the latter for bricks the bricks are likely to shatter, which is not good since the internal wall will get damp.)

This is what I used with that bracket into brick.

http://www.tvtrade.ie/8mm-coach-bolt-and-plug-1s.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭ISAA

I woulds suggest a professional for,
    insurance,
    correct material,
    correct alignement,
    The job done in a professional manner.

Will save you money in the long run.

regards,

I agree that you need to weigh up the pros and cons. Sometimes a pro job costs no more than DIY and has the added benefit of a guarantee (if you choose the right pro). However, DIY can give you a great sense of achievement and you should at least save the labour charge if you buy the correct things. But don't overlook safety. Installing a dish to clear guttering usually requires the use of scaffolding for safe working. I wouldn't dream of attempting it from a ladder. So factor in the cost of the scaffold.

Liameter wrote: »
    I agree that you need to weigh up the pros and cons. Sometimes a pro job costs no more than DIY and has the added benefit of a guarantee (if you choose the right pro). However, DIY can give you a great sense of achievement and you should at least save the labour charge if you buy the correct things. But don't overlook safety. Installing a dish to clear guttering usually requires the use of scaffolding for safe working. I wouldn't dream of attempting it from a ladder. So factor in the cost of the scaffold.

Really?I didn't realize it was that dangerous

• Advertisement

Liameter wrote: »

Really? I didn't realise lads used scaffolding for dishes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Apogee

ISAA wrote: »
    I woulds suggest a professional for,
    insurance,
    correct material,
    correct alignement,
    The job done in a professional manner.

Will save you money in the long run.

regards,

It's not like you have a vested interest in making such a recommendation or anything.

paulcdub85 wrote: »
    Really? I didn't realize it was that dangerous

This is the problem with DIY. Rod Hull didn't realise it was dangerous to go on his bungalow roof, so he killed himself.

My window cleaner knew it was dangerous but took a risk, fell only six feet, and damaged his feet so badly that he'll never run again.

Vested interest or not, it's a valid point that you should consider your own capabilities and use a professional if there's any doubt. You could easily kill yourself (or somebody else if your dish comes loose and falls).

Advertisement