Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay Caveman Controversy

Options
  • 08-04-2011 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭

Some of you may have heard the 'gay caveman' stories circulating. However, it seems to be more media hyperbole than straight up fact. Not only is the individual in question quite possibly not gay, but he's not actually a caveman.
    "The reality of this is going to be far more complicated than, 'This individual was gay,'" Dobson told LiveScience.

Not only is "gay" an oversimplification, "caveman" is flat-out inaccurate, said John Hawks, a paleoanthropologist at the University of Wisconsin, Madison.

"Corded-Ware burials are not 'caveman' in age," Hawks told LiveScience. "We're talking about pre-Bronze Age farmers."

Read more on the debunking here.

GayCaveman.jpg&sa=X&ei=TjafTeOzDYKDhQfN38nuBA&ved=0CAQQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNEspVFJ6a1yLrVgyNekjJqs195_eQ

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Links234 wrote: »

You know, I actually stuck my head into that forum just to make sure science wasn't being misrepresented. ;)
    Kudos

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭Adam Khor

Caveman is a man who lives in a cave... but then again, "prehistoric man" takes more space in the headlines, and regular readers don´t really care so...

As for the gay part, I'm not really convinced. Not saying it's impossible, but the evidence doesn´t seem enough to make claims about the guy's sexuality... I may be wrong, I dunno. My stuff is dinosaurs! XDD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Alvin T. Grey

One should always be careful of projecting todays standards of behaviour and mores on antiquity.
    Different cultures have different interpretations of gender and sexuality.

Take fundementalist Muslim and compare to Dutch culture. Take polygamy and compare to christian monogamy. Look at Greek history for example. Cultures change and cultures differ greatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Well the term caveman isnt an exact description as far as im aware (correct me if im wrong). As for the gay thing I have no doubt that some ancient men were gay I just find it a stretch that you can conclude a persons sexuality from a burial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Well the term caveman isnt an exact description as far as im aware (correct me if im wrong). As for the gay thing I have no doubt that some ancient men were gay I just find it a stretch that you can conclude a persons sexuality from a burial.

I am not sure "gay" is an exact description either, to me it means happy. Are all homosexuals happy?

Anyway it happens to many creatures in the animal kingdom so probably has always been a part of human evolution too.

Not really bothered by it, don't give a fig on it. (LOL I nearly said the wrong thing there) What difference does it make anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Alvin T. Grey

steddyeddy wrote: »

It tells you about the people who buried him, not about the person himself.

Advertisement