Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HELP! Can someone tell me what this licence allows me to drive

• 08-04-2011 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

I thought I was allowed to ride any type of bike with this licence but I've just been told differently and now I'm not sure. Can anyone give me some info. I've never had a bike insured and I'm thinking about getting a Bandit 600.

[IMG]http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/<a href=http://img864.imageshack.us/i/licence.jpg/ target=_blank>[/img]licence.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

You have a full category A from 2007 - 2017. You can drive anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Why is their handwritten numbers on the dates in the A restricted and A non-restricted?

Normally it should say 11-01-07 - 10-01-09 (A restricted) and 11-01-09 to 11-01-17 unrestricted?

Even so, the license, if valid says that you have the a full A unrestricted license, and as such you can ride anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭memaul

thats great thanks. when i was on to the insurance guy he couldn't understand what I was explaining to him about my licence. He kept asking me have I a motorbike licence. I told him I got my licence for the car but that it seems to cover all motorbikes as well.

I swapped my full Australian licence for the Irish licence in 2007. I think this is why I'm covered on the motorbikes.

jayok wrote: »
    Why is their handwritten numbers on the dates in the A restricted and A non-restricted?

Normally it should say 11-01-07 - 10-01-09 (A restricted) and 11-01-09 to 11-01-17 unrestricted?

Even so, the license, if valid says that you have the a full A unrestricted license, and as such you can ride anything.

Thats the way they gave me the licence jayok. I think that they are just typo's. I can see a nine under where they have handwritten the seven. Do you know what the 70 means in the restrictions section

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Code 70 is the exchange of a recognised drivers licence for this one

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

You can hop on a Hayabusa if you like.

Enjoy.

Code 70 is the exchange of a recognised drivers licence for this one

cheers fo that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

as the lads said - you can drive anything - but they best thing you could do is get some lessons first - might save yer life

jameshayes wrote: »
    as the lads said - you can drive anything - but they best thing you could do is get some lessons first - might save yer life

thats the plan, cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

interesting question, which brings up another query I have on the format of the licences, and which I asked Galway CoCo about a while ago........

I have a full licence since 1987.

When they changed to the current pink format, in 1990, we got the classes of licence as you're now familiar with.

My query though, is prompted by a query of me, by a rental company, last year, about the classes.

I you hold an A1 licence (restricted), there is no problem.
    However, as soon as you move beyond that, there is: consider: you have a licence which says you have an A (full, unrestricted licence), but simultaneously, you have an A1 (restricted licence). Logic then says, to the untrained, and using common sense, that the 'lowest common denominator' rule would apply, and that a person in authority would be quite entitled to determine that you are restricted. You can't be restricted AND unrestricted. This anomaly is further exacerbated by having your 'restricted' class renewed, and dated in common with your 'unrestricted' one.

Still with me ?

So, I rang Galway CoCo, and asked to have the 'lower' classes removed from my licence, as it was causing an issue. They told me they couldnt do it, and that I would have to get on to the RSA about it, and this I now intend to do.

So, say you got your A1 in 2006, at 16. In 2008, at 18, you passed your test, and got your A1 25kW. Then, you in 2010 you got your A (unrestricted), what your licence SHOULD read, is this:

A1 - 2006 - 2008
    A 25kW 2008 -2010
    A 2010 -2020

The progression would be simple, and the classification you now hold, obvious.

But instead, we actually have, is this:
    A1 - 2006 - 2020
    A 25kW 2008 -2020
    A 2010 -2020

3 classes, of different 'abilities', all valid until 2020 ? That's just plain stupid. No wonder it's confusing.

More, anon, it's v.late !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

A1 is superseded by A, meaning that if you hold an A1 and an A (restricted), and an unrestricted A licence all at one time, the unrestricted A licence takes preference.

Dont think of the A1 as restricting you to <125cc, or the first A as restricting you to <25kw. They are actually entitling you do ride anything up to 125cc, and 25kw. With that view you have a licence to ride up to 125cc, a licence to ride up to 25kw, and a licence to ride anything - so you have a full, unrestricted licence (get a busa!!!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Surely class A should allow you to drive all motorcycles, A1 being the only restrictor.(once the 2 year "A") period has passed.
    Why would they need to include the A1 class, if you already have an A?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

A1 is superseded by A, meaning that if you hold an A1 and an A (restricted), and an unrestricted A licence all at one time, the unrestricted A licence takes preference.

Dont think of the A1 as restricting you to <125cc, or the first A as restricting you to <25kw. They are actually entitling you do ride anything up to 125cc, and 25kw. With that view you have a licence to ride up to 125cc, a licence to ride up to 25kw, and a licence to ride anything - so you have a full, unrestricted licence (get a busa!!!!)

That's exactly my point: where does it say it's superceded ? Both have the same to/from dates - so a (attentive, cautious) person in a hire shop would be right to assume the opposite: that restriction (to whatever) takes precedence, not the other way around. Why not, when you get A, that the other classes get nulled/voided/omitted/expired. Having ALL of them is plain confusing. It's ok for us who know them, but that's not where you'll run in to trouble..............and as for explaining it to a cop in a foreign language, on the Continent..........OMG.......
    Surely class A should allow you to drive all motorcycles, A1 being the only restrictor.(once the 2 year "A") period has passed.
    Why would they need to include the A1 class, if you already have an A?
    My point exactly.

If you pass your car test, do you still hold a learner permit ? No, you don't. Same thing.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

It is this:
    galwaytt wrote: »
    But instead, we actually have, is this:
    A1 - 2006 - 2020
    A 25kW 2008 -2010
    A 2010 -2020

So you only have 2 classes A1 and A and A1 is superseded by A so you effectively have one cat A.

I don't see that its confusing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

Both have the same to/from dates - so a (attentive, cautious) person in a hire shop would be right to assume the opposite: that restriction (to whatever) takes precedence, not the other way around. Why not, when you get A, that the other classes get nulled/voided/omitted/expired. Having ALL of them is plain confusing. It's ok for us who know them, but that's not where you'll run in to trouble..............and as for explaining it to a cop in a foreign language, on the Continent..........OMG.......

I get what your saying, but, for example: an A1 licence does not mean "you cannot ride a bike over 125cc", it simply means "you are allowed ride a bike up to 125cc" and it means nothing more. What does decide if you are entitled to ride a 1400cc monster is whether you have a valid licence stating you can ride it (Unrestricted A category)
    That's exactly my point: where does it say it's superceded ?

Citizens Info

"Category A Licence covers: A, A1 and M"

Advertisement