Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masterchef AU (Season 3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yeah I heard that during the week... great show.

30,000 posts? Great job dude. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,881 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Mr E wrote: »
    30,000 posts? Great job dude. :)
    Ha - didn't even notice!

Ta Dave.. my hideous infatuation to this place knows no bounds!

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭_whiskers

Is it on Watch? Really love this show :D So much better than the original!

Sorry.. this is only back in Oz on May 1st.

I'd imagine it'll be on in September for Watch.

Been really excellent so far.. some cruel cruel challenges on there especially this week's Invention Test (where the judges
    swapped contestants baskets
    ).

But another shock in today's episode when
    probably the strongest contestant in the competition Jay has been eliminated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Saw the first couple weeks when I was on holiday in Oz and it looks good. They are showing the elimination of the final fifty down to the final 24 and it takes ages!!

Am now just reading the catchups on the website and waiting until its shown!

On another side note: saw Adriano Zumba place in manly (didn't buy anything as it was nearly closing time and there was nothing left), ate in Georges restaurant and tried to eat in Garys (managed to go on Mothers day and it was booked out - looked nice though). :D:D:D I'll stop gloating now.

I'm jealous, Dinkie..... I'd love to try some Zumbo desserts! :)

Shocker this week with
    Jay
    I know they said early on in the season that once someone is gone, they're gone (no second chances), but I wouldn't be surprised if they reneged on that.

Mr E wrote: »
    I know they said early on in the season that once someone is gone, they're gone (no second chances), but I wouldn't be surprised if they reneged on that.
    I thought the exact same thing Dave..

Jay was far too good a cook to go home on a dessert.. it was just cruel!

He put forward the terrible churros.. and was told to brush up on his desserts for the future.

The NEXT day, he's put in an elimination cooking a DESSERT with the two girls who kick ass at desserts.

Felt a tad unfair to be honest!

Yep, the judges are the real strength in Masterchef Australia..

.. Gary, George and Matt are three of the most likeable guys on TV.

They're harsh but can be constructive without being insulting.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Batigol309

Basq wrote: »

Hey Basq - do you have link to where someone could find the new series online...not that I would do that :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

I totally agree. They aren't all about their egos, they actually WANT the contestants to do well. It make for great TV. They are very endearing.

not sure whether this is a windup or not, but could make for an unusual show!

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/tv-chefs-give-us-out-dalai-bread/story-fn7x8me2-1226073337563

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭barakus

I totally agree. They aren't all about their egos, they actually WANT the contestants to do well. It make for great TV. They are very endearing.

serious? that fella that wears the cravat and blazers looks like/is a complete bell end:p

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Caros

Love Masterchef Australia,it's set new heights for the show worldwide!

I loved episode 38 of season 3 (guest judge:
    Heston Blumenthal
    ). Really good fun.

Watching his dish being revealed at the start, I've never felt so hungry watching a cooking show. :)

Really was a superb episode alright Dave..

.. and I have to say, I had a new found respect for
    Michael - never really rated him til now but everything from his determination while cooking to impress Heston / his late father and his "verging on psychotic" face when messing with the liquid nitrogen

He could be one to watch if he keeps cooking like that!

Heston was good fun too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭melb

Watching it over here each evening-think its the same season 3 your on about. Maybe its season 4 now..

Recent scandal in the papers here over some of the contestents and that but we're about 2 months behind shooting or that.

Not a patch on UK masterchef which I prefer. And the crying after each show from the contestents "this means so much to me" is getting on my nerves!

calex71 wrote: »
    Is season 3 the same ??
    I'm actually liking season 3 the best so far.. some of the little twists in pressure tests and invention tests are cruel. And my predicted winner from the start is already gone. Very close to call this year!
    melb wrote: »
    Watching it over here each evening-think its the same season 3 your on about. Maybe its season 4 now..

Not a patch on UK masterchef which I prefer. And the crying after each show from the contestents "this means so much to me" is getting on my nerves!
    No, we're watching it as it airs in Oz.. so the same season (season 3).

UK Masterchef tried the format this year and failed (and seemed to do away with it mid-way through it's season). I prefer Masterchef Oz as a show - much more entertaining as a whole, more likeable judges, more suspense etc. Yes, the theatrics are overdone.. but even Masterchef UK was guilty of that this year (Jackie anyone?).

Masterchef UK still is fantastic in it's respect, but Masterchef Oz is a VERY VERY different show.. like comparing apples.. and cravat-wearing apples! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭melb

UK Masterchef tried the format this year and failed (and seemed to do away with it mid-way through it's season). I prefer Masterchef Oz as a show - much more entertaining as a whole, more likeable judges, more suspense etc. Yes, the theatrics are overdone.. but even Masterchef UK was guilty of that this year (Jackie anyone?).

Masterchef UK still is fantastic in it's respect, but Masterchef Oz is a VERY VERY different show.. like comparing apples.. and cravat-wearing apples! :D

Totally different all right. Get the feeling Masterchef Aus has got more of 'The Apprentice' feel about it with the teams, challenges all about cooking but in different situations. Personally preferred the UK one when it got down to 3 in a kitchen and 'cook me something epic' deal. More of a made for TV feel to this.

That said, still watch and enjoy it every evening. The judges are a good laugh-as much and all as they try and hide it everyone knows they love the deserts more than anything else!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭nothing

Loving the latest serious... especially
    Heston Blumenthal and Nigella Lawson episodes

Think they've gotten seriously twisted this season, which is great, means that the stuff the contestants/audience got used to in the last two seasons is now being turned on it's head!

Agree about the judges, they really do make the show, and I love that they added Matt Moran as a proper judge this year.

I love how they've twisted the immunity challenges (except the latest one), and the toughness of the team challenges definitely is an improvement!

• Advertisement

The final Masterclass of season 2 of Masterchef Australia was when I realised how much I loved this show..

.. they get all the contestants back along with the two finalists (not gonna spoil it) and we had Gary and George taking the piss out of various contestants.

Gary and George in a pressure test with the 2 finalists judging.. and overdoing their glances and "Matt Preston-esque" glares at the plate.

Anyone who has seen it will know what I mean..

barakus wrote: »
    serious? that fella that wears the cravat and blazers looks like/is a complete bell end:p

I do agree that he looks a bit pompous - but if you look at his bio he is entitled to look pompous. He has won world wide awards for his food critiques and think i read somewhere that he will be or works on the US Masterchef.

I actually quite like him and enjoy what he wears.

Spoilers for the most recent episode of Season 3 ahead (probably should be an RTÉ only thread for discussion Season 1)..
    The announcement by Adam was a bit of a shock to be honest.

There's not many contestants left in the competition that I genuinely would like to see win but probably..

Matt - I'm torn on him. Sometimes I like the guy, and others times he comes across as an asshat. He's a sloppy cook as well. Don't know how he's still there really.
    Dani - she's cute and bubbly and fun. She's a solid chef and genuinely really enjoys cooking so I hope she does well.
    Michael - having went from an absolute outsider to one of my favourites in the last few weeks.. but he is prone to going to bits under pressure.

I'd be happy for
    Dani
    or
    Michael
    to win at this stage.

I split the Season 1 stuff away to a separate thread.

I agree, the last departure was a bit of a shocker. Good drama though!

Its hard to pick a winner out of the last 13. There are lots of good cooks, but nobody is really standing out.

Aaaaaaah......
    if only Hayden had cooked his pork fully, he'd have been laughing!

As for tomorrow, hmm... lets see how hard we can make it for the contestants. How about no salt, no gluten, low carb, no eggs. Yup that'd do it. Oh no wait, lets put people head to head, so the team with the weakest members is guaranteed to lose. Seriously tough.... (and should make for good TV)

Fairs fecks to
    Michael on beating Billy on a dessert..

.. but was anyone else a tad uncomfortable as them referring to the openly-gay Billy as "the dessert queen"?
    :D

Shame to see
    Kumar
    go.. but I'm actually a little suprised he lasted as long as he did. He wasn't particularly strong throughout.

Glad to see
    Michael
    still in it.. but he's been making some silly mistakes recently.
    Peter
    impressed me in the team challenge this week.

Am hoping either
    Michael, Dani or Peter
    wins (in that order)..
    Sun or Kate
    to go next please!

Doesn't look like it has been mentioned here yet, but there was a bit of a national scandal in Australia where a Masterchef contestant was found with a smartphone (which is banned in the show rules because it can access the internet) - the contestant has been kicked off the show for cheating.

Only click this link if you want to know who it is (it should be aired in the next week or two).

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/entertainment/8261251/masterchef-contestant-booted-over-cheating-fears

They are bringing back an eliminated contestant as a replacement (hopefully
    Jay
    ).

Found out about that about 2 weeks ago alright Dave. And now have been waiting for it to happen. Heard the person in question hasn't been seen since it happened.

Hope they bring back
    Jay
    too. He deserves it!

• Advertisement

Doesn't look like it will be next week - it's something they would have hyped at the end of the last elimination episode. No doubt to make it fair, they'll bring back a few previous contestants and make a challenge out of it so someone will have to win their way back in fairly.

As long as its not a dessert, there is a good chance the person who deserves to come back will come back. :)

Advertisement