Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone please tell me if this modem/router would be ok for Eircom?

• 08-04-2011 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

Does anyone know if this is a good router and modem?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Billion-BiPAC-7800N-Broadband-Wireless-N/dp/B002TOKGL8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302286603&sr=8-1

I want something to replace my Zyxel modem for Eircom as it's driving me nuts. I can't use my iPod,iPad,no one can use wifi on the iPhone with it,and the laptops are having regular disconnects.

I know nothing really about routers etc but I've searched amazon.co.uk and this seems to be the best rated. I don't mind paying if it's worthwhile to be honest.

Can I just unplug the zyxel and put this straight in without having to "bridge" it to the zyxel?
    Is there any obvious reason why it might not be compatible with or even why it might be a poor buy?

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

It's very expensive but that will indeed work with eircom. Make sure you put in the eircom settings into the new router when you get it. The WAN (PPPoE) username and password, an MTU of 1454, Multiplexing set to LLC, VPI set to 8 and VCI set to 35.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

That model would work fine with Eircom or any dsl provider and would replace the xyzel. All you would need to do is insert the appropriate Eircom settings.

However it does seem pretty expensive and I am sure that you could find equally capable models from the likes of Dlink linsys or netgear for a good bit less.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Fistycuffs

It's very expensive but that will indeed work with eircom. Make sure you put in the eircom settings into the new router when you get it. The WAN (PPPoE) username and password, an MTU of 1454, Multiplexing set to LLC, VPI set to 8 and VCI set to 35.

Thank you very much for those settings! I'm afraid they don't look at all familiar so no doubt I wouldn't have figured them out myself.

I'll get it and try it I think. I'm bamboozled by the array of choice and the differing reveiws. At least this one looks like it performs! I hope I won't be back here pulling my hair out trying to set it up next week.

Much thanks to you both again:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

That router has two wan interfaces, dsl and ethernet, which you probably don't need. Seems like a waste of money. Just get a dlink or linksys modem, avoid belkin.

Just to say thanks again for everyones help. I bought the Billion modem and am delighted with how well it's working. Comparison between the zyxel and this is like that between night and day. All my devices are working excellently well again.

There may be cheaper options but I can only recommend this one. It's definitely a good idea to change the modem if you're stuck with the zyxel and having trouble with your bb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

On that point, I'd rather say that it's up to eircom to give a functional modem that doesn't disconnect every hour...

On that point, I'd rather say that it's up to eircom to give a functional modem that doesn't disconnect every hour...

I whole heartedly agree!

It's an incredibly short sighted business practice to supply such an awful modem and then leave so many customers complaining about poor service when it's actually the modem at fault. They deserve to go out of business at this stage.

Advertisement