Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warriors Run 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

Nearly there!

717!

746. The fat lady is clearing her throat.

irish-stew wrote: »
    746. The fat lady is clearing her throat.

I really didn't think places would go this fast!
    Crazy! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DULLAHAN2

Lornen wrote: »

I taught it would take a week at least. It is not even open a full day!!! Glad i entered this evening. 47 places left

• Advertisement

I taught it would take a week at least. It is not even open a full day!!! Glad i entered this evening. 45 places left

DULLAHAN2 wrote: »
    I taught it would take a week at least. It is not even open a full day!!! Glad i entered this evening. 47 places left

I was like a rabid dog waiting to register from 9 a.m this morning!
    Had to wait til nearly 3p.m but finally got the job done. Absolutely chuffed anyway. Think I'll have around the 250 no. bib :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

I got myself and my brother registered yesterday and while chauffeuring him around today I managed to get my cousin done too.

Gonna fill up tonight, I sent a mate a message on facebook telling him to register soon, hopefully he gets it before it's too late. At least the transfer system is in place this year, a big well done to the organisers for that.

I was like a rabid dog waiting to register from 9 a.m this morning!
    Had to wait til nearly 3p.m but finally got the job done. Absolutely chuffed anyway. Think I'll have around the 250 no. bib :)

I was the same yesterday afternoon. Got in at about 20 something. Just before it crashed and burned.

19 places left now.

and......it's...................finished!! Better luck next year people :cool:

• Advertisement

cloneslad wrote: »
    and......it's...................finished!! Better luck next year people :cool:

Stand bys, and transfers only now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

i'm really surprised it filled up that fast would have thought it would take a week. must be a lot of out of town entries. well done to them for developing the event to the stage where it sells out like a beetles reunion!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭magooly

Unbelievable!!!

Tried to register several times yesterday and again today @ lunch. When did the Notice on the site come down? Thanks a lot facebook.

Man... so disappointed, this race runs past my family home and I look forward to coming home every year for the long weekend and competing.

Well done to the organizing committee, Mickey and the lads, they work so hard but this has taken the shine off the whole weekend for me. I wont recognize anyone running past the house this year.

magooly wrote: »
    Unbelievable!!!

Tried to register several times yesterday and again today @ lunch. When did the Notice on the site come down? Thanks a lot facebook.

Man... so disappointed, this race runs past my family home and I look forward to coming home every year for the long weekend and competing.

Well done to the organizing committee, Mickey and the lads, they work so hard but this has taken the shine off the whole weekend for me. I wont recognize anyone running past the house this year.

get in straight away for a reserve place, people are always pulling out especially as it's 3-4 months away.

magooly wrote: »
    Unbelievable!!!

Which facebook page were you going by? Thought they (this one) done quite a good job at keeping people updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

I did it last year and I have to say it was so well organised it was brilliant! I'm really not surprised it filled up so quickly, I don't mind that there is a lot of outsiders in ... great for the economy, Sligo town should have some stuff on aswell .. to cash in on it!

Disappointed I won't be able to do it this year because of injury..can't beat the feeling of coming around the carin and seeing that downhill path stretching out in front of you!

Got me bib number.

Its now official.

Got me bib number.

Its now official.

come at me bro! :)

come at me bro! :)

Bring it sister!

:D

Bring it sister!

I'll have to look out for you so I know who I'm talking to! :pac:

Actually so bloody stoked now though. Makes it feel a little more real now I got my bib number. Have to bang out a few better times for my mile. Chatting to a friend's boyfriend who can clear a mile in less than 6 minutes. :o

• Advertisement

I'll have to look out for you so I know who I'm talking to! :pac:

Actually so bloody stoked now though. Makes it feel a little more real now I got my bib number. Have to bang out a few better times for my mile. Chatting to a friend's boyfriend who can clear a mile in less than 6 minutes. :o

Am looking at people feet when I'm out, to see if I can see yours.

;)

I'm going to get over this weekend first, then find an 8 or 10k to train for. Need to try and chuck in some more cross training and start the hill training as well.

Done the lap of the race course in just under 8 minutes yesterday as part of my 3.75k run. It felt good.

Am looking at people feet when I'm out, to see if I can see yours.

;)

I'm going to get over this weekend first, then find an 8 or 10k to train for. Need to try and chuck in some more cross training and start the hill training as well.

Done the lap of the race course in just under 8 minutes yesterday as part of my 3.75k run. It felt good.

You'll not have to look down that far.. You'll see the girl with bruises the size of my head on my shins :pac:

Also you will actually die laughing if you spot me.. I don't look like a runner at all :pac: Can't wait to see that shocked face :P

I'll know it's you when I see you doubled over in the race course. :o

And wow Stew fair bloody play! That's a sweet time, mega congrats!

I run the course anti clockwise, nice little incline at the end that makes your legs a bit wobble-tastic :pac:

I do 60 squats every few days.. I was told by a friend it would get me used to inclines..? *le shrug*

You'll not have to look down that far.. You'll see the girl with bruises the size of my head on my shins :pac:

Also you will actually die laughing if you spot me.. I don't look like a runner at all :pac: Can't wait to see that shocked face :P

I'll know it's you when I see you doubled over in the race course. :o

And wow Stew fair bloody play! That's a sweet time, mega congrats!

I run the course anti clockwise, nice little incline at the end that makes your legs a bit wobble-tastic :pac:

I do 60 squats every few days.. I was told by a friend it would get me used to inclines..? *le shrug*

If you thnk that little incline makes you legs wobble, you should try the path up the middle.

;)

If you thnk that little incline makes you legs wobble, you should try the path up the middle.

;)

:eek: LITTLE?! :eek:

I'll show you! :mad:

Ah yeah I walked up it and it was alright. Always mad mucky when I get to it but I do love a challenge. Might nail it tomorrow and tell you what it's like :o

Streets of Sligo was brilliant on Sunday. 10k training has now begun.

@Lornen, fair enough, the little incline, does make your legs wobble, but not until the second lap. :pac:

Just ran (well 3/4s of it, walked the rest) the road section of the warriors run. Man that Glen road is steep.

Anyone know of any 10km road races coming up in the next couple of weeks, need one for event training. Seen one in Balla in Mayo towards the end of the month and another one around Lough Arrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 RunningForFun

There is an 8k in Coolaney on the 23rd of July think it starts at 12.00

Just ran (well 3/4s of it, walked the rest) the road section of the warriors run. Man that Glen road is steep.

Anyone know of any 10km road races coming up in the next couple of weeks, need one for event training. Seen one in Balla in Mayo towards the end of the month and another one around Lough Arrow.

There is the horseshoe 10KM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

A good session you can do also is to run around only on road as far as the exit (from car park) where you come down from the mountain and then try and push it most of the way back to Strandhill. Run at a pace that you would hope to be able to run come race day. And try and do a sustaned run at this pace once a week. 20 mins to start add 4 mins a week. (None the weeks when youre racing 10ks.)

Great for confidence on the big day ahaving run this section hard. Its a good strategy to: leave a bit in the tank so i can run this final section at a good clip.

The 10ks will help you get strenght and stamina for the warriors run.

The faster you do the 10ks the faster in theory youll do the road section of the warriors.

Anothers session is 90 secs at 5k pace with 1 min rest. Do on flat road or track. Concentrate on running smoothly with good style. (think relax, tall glide or whatecer works). Star with 10 and add 2 every week. This will greatly help your 10k time. After 3-4 weeks of these once a week. start doing long ones at 10k race pace. 3 by 1 mile at 10k pace with 2 mins rest. add 1 mile per week.

Doing a long hill run once a week on knocknarea and roads around, practicing climbing slowly running, fast climbing to build strenght...2 mins hard walk a minute 2 mins hard..and some steep walking with hands on knees. Under 10 people actually run teh whole thing so walking will be needed and its best to practice.

practice descending too, staying relaxed not pushing just concentrating on foot placements.

The hill section is definately haredr now and if you can get the body toughened by 4-5 of these long hill runs/sessions it wont take as much out of you.

The mountain is all about damage limitation.
    Sorry about all that, getting excited now!!

If anyone wants a schedule BTW, im happy to do one up. Just need info on running background etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

I ran the road section on Saturday, had my Garmin watch on - here's how I got on:

Time: 1:03 (a bit slow for me).
    Distance: 7.25 miles.
    Elevation gain: 490 ft.
    Avg pace: 8:42

Mile number : time:
    1: 9
    2: 8:26
    3: 11:37 - stopped for a min.
    4: 8:53
    5: 7:55
    6: 7:32
    7: 7:55
    0.25: 1:41

I haven't really been doing any long runs, so I expect to inporve on these times...

T_runner, I'm looking to get sub 1:15 this year, any good tips?
    For example, what time should I be looking to do the road section? Any pacing info?
    Fastest time is 1:17.

I'm also doing the Lough Arrow 10 miler.

Advertisement