Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warriors Run 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I ran the road section on Saturday, had my Garmin watch on - here's how I got on:

Time: 1:03 (a bit slow for me).
    Distance: 7.25 miles.
    Elevation gain: 490 ft.
    Avg pace: 8:42

Mile number : time:
    1: 9
    2: 8:26
    3: 11:37 - stopped for a min.
    4: 8:53
    5: 7:55
    6: 7:32
    7: 7:55
    0.25: 1:41

I haven't really been doing any long runs, so I expect to inporve on these times...

T_runner, I'm looking to get sub 1:15 this year, any good tips?
    For example, what time should I be looking to do the road section? Any pacing info?
    Fastest time is 1:17.

I'm also doing the Lough Arrow 10 miler.

My Garmin battery failed me after about 8km yesterday, it was only my second time to run 10km ever (few weeks behind on my training), but was already way down on my previous time by that point.

First 10km I ran was a relativly flat course on saturday, 55 minutes. Road section (mapmyrun charts at 11 something km) of warriors run yesterday, alot hillier, 1 hr 18 minutes. :o

Need to get back on the off road section though, have not been on it for a few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

I ran the road section on Saturday, had my Garmin watch on - here's how I got on:

Time: 1:03 (a bit slow for me).
    Distance: 7.25 miles.
    Elevation gain: 490 ft.
    Avg pace: 8:42

Mile number : time:
    1: 9
    2: 8:26
    3: 11:37 - stopped for a min.
    4: 8:53
    5: 7:55
    6: 7:32
    7: 7:55
    0.25: 1:41

I haven't really been doing any long runs, so I expect to inporve on these times...

For example, what time should I be looking to do the road section? Any pacing info?

Have a look at the mail i sent to Irish stew.

The usual strategy id use is:

If youre feeling fit: start to follow the schedule i said to irish stew.

So schedule would be:

for 4 weeks:

Per week: 1 hilly long run (alternate off road and on-road); 1 sustained hard run (warriors road race effort) start at 20 mins duration but add 4-5 mins per week; 10 by 400m at 5k race pace rest for 1 min after every rep) Add 2 reps per week ideally till you reach 16; in between do very easy runs to recover. Never go hard in these teh faster you run your sessions the faster you will run the race the objective of tehse easy runs is to get a few miles in but be fresh for the important ones.

for 3 weeks same but with do 3 by 1 mile instead of the 400s. Add a mile per week.

Last week drop mileage and run easy but keep sharp. Maybe do 10 by 400 on tuesday. Easy until race day then.

If you feel you need a week or two more aerobic running. Then leave the 400s until 2 or 3 weeks time. Instead do 10 by 100 metres fast after an easy run. Add 2 per week.

Edit: going to Sligo AC training between now and then will get you under 75 guaranteed!!

irish-stew wrote: »
    My Garmin battery failed me after about 8km yesterday, it was only my second time to run 10km ever (few weeks behind on my training), but was already way down on my previous time by that point.

First 10km I ran was a relativly flat course on saturday, 55 minutes. Road section (mapmyrun charts at 11 something km) of warriors run yesterday, alot hillier, 1 hr 18 minutes. :o

Need to get back on the off road section though, have not been on it for a few weeks.

Hi Irish stew.

If 10k is your longest run to date then keep the following in mind.

You should concentrate on aerobic work as this will give you most gains.

Your long run should be roughly 50% longer than your second longest run. Only do one long run perw eek.

So if you ran for 10k hilly=1hr 18

Then do:

One run hilly 80 mins. 2 runs 50 mins. The rest short easy runs.

Try and get teh long run up to 100 mins before the day.

For 10 minutes in the middle of one of the 50 min run, run at a faster pace. Not quite out of breath pace, but nearly. Cruising though, but under control.

Add 5 mins per week. sos econd week 15 mins fast etc.

after one of your easy runs finish on a soccer/gaelic pitch. Run fast on the diagonal. Walk the short side. again fast on the diagonal etc. 10 fast diagonals. add 2 diagonals every week.

The idea here is that the body learns to use less energy during the faster running. It becomes more efficient, takes less energy to do the same pace or can do a faster pace with teh same energy. So as well as getting faster fitter from the faster stuff you are also getting faster because your body runs in a more economical style. So its a real 6 pointer.

If youre unsure about any of taht let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

I feel rather ill looking at this thread and reading all of you tanks barrelling through the course. I was brought up for my first time only last week. In the car.

Sh*tting a brick. I'm just running a few months and not even well!

Fair play lads, I'll probably be picked up by the scragglers cart :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

All good stuff from T-runner.

WRT pacing I used the 2009 results to get some idea of the pace people are running at. Stage 1 is Strandhill to beginning of off-road section (includes Glen Road), stage 2 is the hill itself and stage 3 is from car park to finish. So to finish in 1:12, you would want to be around 18:30 for stage 1, 26 mins for stage 2 and 27:30 for stage 3. With stage distances of about 4.2, 3.3 & 6.5 km; these are average paces of 4:24, 7:53 & 4:14 min/km.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

T runner wrote: »
    Edit: going to Sligo AC training between now and then will get you under 75 guaranteed!!

T runner, with regards to training I'm looking to do something like this:
    Monday hill sprints. (1 mile run out, 10 sprints, 1 mile run home - 3.2 miles altogether)
    Tuesday martial arts training.
    Thursday long pace run.
    Friday short easy run / Martial arts training.
    Saturday long hill run / Warriors run course.

For example this week I'll probably run:
    Mon: hill sprints ~3.2 miles + 45 mins conditioning.
    Tuesday: Kickboxing.
    Wed: Rest / light run.
    Thursday: 4.5 miles fast.
    Friday: Short run ~4 miles (Or kickboxing).
    Sat: Wariors run course.
    Sun: Rest.

I'm only really in Sligo for the odd weekend, so I'm not sure about the Sligo AC, I don't know if they'd allow drop in's... Might get in touch with them though.
    dna_leri wrote: »
    All good stuff from T-runner.

WRT pacing I used the 2009 results to get some idea of the pace people are running at. Stage 1 is Strandhill to beginning of off-road section (includes Glen Road), stage 2 is the hill itself and stage 3 is from car park to finish. So to finish in 1:12, you would want to be around 18:30 for stage 1, 26 mins for stage 2 and 27:30 for stage 3. With stage distances of about 4.2, 3.3 & 6.5 km; these are average paces of 4:24, 7:53 & 4:14 min/km.

Hi dna_leri, that's some pretty good advice, I actually never thought to do that. I'm going to try the ful course on Saturday so I'll post up my times.
    I've tried to look up the times from last years Warriors run but the website doesn't want to display them.

Edit: Just had a look there, here are my times from last year:
    Road section out: 20mins - Avg 7:45 min miles.
    Mountain section: 30mins.
    Road section home: 27mins - Avg 7 min miles.

Hi dna_leri, that's some pretty good advice, I actually never thought to do that. I'm going to try the ful course on Saturday so I'll post up my times.
    I've tried to look up the times from last years Warriors run but the website doesn't want to display them.

Edit: Just had a look there, here are my times from last year:
    Road section out: 20mins - Avg 7:45 min miles.
    Mountain section: 30mins.
    Road section home: 27mins - Avg 7 min miles.

I have had problems getting detailed 2010 results too, so I used the 2009 details which was on the same course. I notice they are no longer available on the warriors website but can still be found here from the chip timing company.

Your times from last year are pretty good, especially the Road section home - you must have been passing out a fair few on this part. Did you hold back a bit on the earlier sections?

T runner, with regards to training I'm looking to do something like this:
    Monday hill sprints. (1 mile run out, 10 sprints, 1 mile run home - 3.2 miles altogether)
    Tuesday martial arts training.
    Thursday long pace run.
    Friday short easy run / Martial arts training.
    Saturday long hill run / Warriors run course.

For example this week I'll probably run:
    Mon: hill sprints ~3.2 miles + 45 mins conditioning.
    Tuesday: Kickboxing.
    Wed: Rest / light run.
    Thursday: 4.5 miles fast.
    Friday: Short run ~4 miles (Or kickboxing).
    Sat: Wariors run course.
    Sun: Rest.

I'm only really in Sligo for the odd weekend, so I'm not sure about the Sligo AC, I don't know if they'd allow drop in's... Might get in touch with them though.

That sounds fine.

How long are the hill sprints?

Youd need them to be 90s to 2 mins long. Jog down recovery. The reason is you need to get endurance from them. If you sprint up it will give you power but youll need endurance.

When doing the course and you ahve to walk try and really practice walking fast uphill.

Also for one run, just head up knocknarae...practice climbing and descending, get the body used to it.

Your splits are good from last year very correctly paced. You need to aim for teh same ratio, just bringing teh overall times down.

To gain time on teh road youd need to do some speed work.

Id recommend doing 300 metres with one minute rest by 10 and adding 2 reps every week. Your schedule is good but there is no session to help youre road speed which youll need.

You can calculate teh correct pace from macmillan pace calculator site (google it). Put in a recent time for a race or what time you reckon youd do now. Run the 300 reps at 5k race pace.

You could alternate thi session every second week with the hill reps.

That speed session will shave minutes off your road time.

Concentrate on te hill work during teh long run or take up cycling for leg strenght possibly (commute by bike some days?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

questions

1. do ye reccomend trail runners .. had a pair..too small had to give them away..or will the road runners do..

2. is the actual run route on the mountain ..particularly the up bit open to run on..i had the impression this was on private land..its not the end of the world if its not

3. why isnt this in a.r.t... are ye sligo people trying to keep it to yerselves :)

4. closest decent hill to me is on the road..this will have to do, although id hope to get to knocknarea at least twice between now and then ..either that or the booster in castlebar will have to do..am i better to do intervals on the hill..ie 2 minutes hard and then recover and repeat or just do one pace continuously

5. im reading different bits and pieces of plans here, but its not totally clear how many times a week to be aiming to get out..hill, long run, intervals, thats 3, plus easy runs..are we talking about 5 times a week..im already doing 3-4 on the bike, for a tri this weekend, then its all running..but 5 times a week sounds like a lot !!! i wouldve been aiming for 3-4 tops....

since about this time last year ive done a few multi-sport races, a few 10ks 5ks 8ks etc, couple of bike sections in triathlon for a mate that cant cycle ( team ) ..and a half marathon about 6 weeks ago..not breaking any records..and have done a lot of hill walking in my day..unfortunately not so much lately ..but im hoping thatl stand me in good stead on the climb..so there should be a good base there is what im saying ( hoping ) ...have to say this is the one race that has me worried, id normally be in the middle of the group or even a bit ahead of that but ive a feeling the dreaded pick up wagon will be right on my tail...

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DULLAHAN2

What i have noticed from people results and my own running doing a 10 miler will give you a good indication in how quick you will do the warriors. Doesnt have to
    be mad hilly.

I think the Lough Arrow is 8 mile.

• Advertisement

woody1 wrote: »
    questions

1. do ye reccomend trail runners .. had a pair..too small had to give them away..or will the road runners do..

2. is the actual run route on the mountain ..particularly the up bit open to run on..i had the impression this was on private land..its not the end of the world if its not

3. why isnt this in a.r.t... are ye sligo people trying to keep it to yerselves :)

I'll try and take on a few of these.

Personally, I'm using trail runners, mainly just to get a bit of grip on the stoney/gravely/grassy sections, although on wet rock, mine are not great. Plus my road runners have zip support, they're almost barefoot runners.

The middle section, around 3 to 4km is on Knockerea, part of the ascent I understand is on private farm land, the decent, again as far as I know is on the public path, which is made up of grass, loose stone and gravel, and rock.

As for a thread on a.r.t. There is one there. ;)

questions:

Road runners are fine. I wear very light trail runners myself which are good on road but youre better with road shoes. John Lenihan who has ran 50 minutes for teh course and won 6 times always wore road shoes so enough said there!

is the actual run route on the mountain ..particularly the up bit open to run on..i had the impression this was on private land..its not the end of the world if its not

The first two fields are on private land and not open. You can however trace back from teh summit and then run up most of it.

Theres a thread there too. I guess thsi one would have more of a Sligo angle as people have access to knocknarea etc.
    4. closest decent hill to me is on the road..this will have to do, although id hope to get to knocknarea at least twice between now and then ..either that or the booster in castlebar will have to do..am i better to do intervals on the hill..ie 2 minutes hard and then recover and repeat or just do one pace continuously

The fact is youll be walking most of the climb. The hill reps are to get your legs strong for the hilly road and so the hill doesnt trash them for the way back.

Initially i would do long continuous climbs. Then add the 2 minute repeats.

I would practice getting out on a long steep hill and "mountain" walking up it. Thats waht youll be doing race day and its something taht no-one practices.

Ideally run out to teh hill. Jog/walk up and down it a few times. Then run after for a bit on teh flat. This will get your legs used to race day.

Dont do any more than 2 runs on hills per week.

5. im reading different bits and pieces of plans here, but its not totally clear how many times a week to be aiming to get out..hill, long run, intervals, thats 3, plus easy runs..are we talking about 5 times a week..im already doing 3-4 on the bike, for a tri this weekend, then its all running..but 5 times a week sounds like a lot !!! i wouldve been aiming for 3-4 tops....

If youre cycling thats brilliant. Cycling can work in tandem. Replace the easy runs with easy cycles.

These are the key sessions in order of imporatnce:

Long run, Continous hard run, interval.

Try and get those 3 done. 1 or two of them should be on hills.

eg week1: Long hill run (70 mins), Fast continuous (tempo run) on flat (10 warmup-20 mins fast-10 warmdown) , Hill repeats, 6 by 2 mins up and jog down recovery.

week 2 Long run undulating road (75 mins), long hills (2 by 15 mins to run/walk up) jog down recovery (practice relaxing during descent). 12 by 400 at 5k pace with 1 min recovery.

Just be consistant. Long run + 2 sessions a week if poss. 1-2 on hills. mix and match. In the last 4 weeks before race always do a weekly fast continous run. (on flattish or undulating road) This will be at race effort and you want to get up to 40-50 mins of this. This gets you strong, gets you used to race pace and gives you stamina to keep a strong effort going.

Easy runs or bettr still, cycling between those sessions.
    since about this time last year ive done a few multi-sport races, a few 10ks 5ks 8ks etc, couple of bike sections in triathlon for a mate that cant cycle ( team ) ..and a half marathon about 6 weeks ago..not breaking any records..and have done a lot of hill walking in my day..unfortunately not so much lately ..but im hoping thatl stand me in good stead on the climb..so there should be a good base there is what im saying ( hoping ) ...have to say this is the one race that has me worried, id normally be in the middle of the group or even a bit ahead of that but ive a feeling the dreaded pick up wagon will be right on my tail...

Its the people who go out hard at teh start of the race taht get ran over by teh broom wagon.

Be consistant with teh training. Dont kill yourself in any session either. Nice and controlled, getting slowly stronger and stronger. A few hill walks will sort you out too!

thanks for all that info...

That sounds fine.

How long are the hill sprints?

Youd need them to be 90s to 2 mins long. Jog down recovery. The reason is you need to get endurance from them. If you sprint up it will give you power but youll need endurance.

When doing the course and you ahve to walk try and really practice walking fast uphill.

Also for one run, just head up knocknarae...practice climbing and descending, get the body used to it.

Your splits are good from last year very correctly paced. You need to aim for teh same ratio, just bringing teh overall times down.

Id recommend doing 300 metres with one minute rest by 10 and adding 2 reps every week. Your schedule is good but there is no session to help youre road speed which youll need.

You can calculate teh correct pace from macmillan pace calculator site (google it). Put in a recent time for a race or what time you reckon youd do now. Run the 300 reps at 5k race pace.

You could alternate thi session every second week with the hill reps.

That speed session will shave minutes off your road time.

Concentrate on te hill work during teh long run or take up cycling for leg strenght possibly (commute by bike some days?)

Sprints are for 15-20sec on 40sec on, I've been doing them for explosive power all right but they've had a great carry over to my speed and hill work. I'll probably substitute the sprints for repeats as per your plan.

So should I stick to 3 main sessions per week:
    Hill repeat / sprints.
    Speed session.
    Long run (more than likely this will be the full warriors course.)
    Then try to fit in 1/2 light road sessions.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

So I did my first speed session yesterday, I ran:
    5 Reps of:
    0.5 miles @ speed.
    1:15 mins rest.

Found this a killer, just wondering - what's the difference between more, shorter reps, as per T runner's post, or, fewer but longer reps as per my plan.

I basically picked my plan of action out of the air - so I'm not dead set on it.

I also ran the full course on Saturday - here are my results from it:

Time: 1:26:22
    Avg pace: 9:42 min miles.

Practice session vs. last years race:
    Road section out: 20:50 +0:50 sec
    Mountain section: 31:31 + 1:31 mins (I think I missed out on a bit here).
    Road section home: 32:04 + 5:04 mins

5 Reps of:
    0.5 miles @ speed.

Found this a killer, just wondering - what's the difference between more, shorter reps, as per T runner's post, or, fewer but longer reps as per my plan.

I basically picked my plan of action out of the air - so I'm not dead set on it.

Good session IMO.
    What sort of pace did you do the half miles? 5-10 K pace is good starting point.

not having followed a plan before and only having a years running behind me i shouldnt be giving anyone advice but

depends on what "speed " means..but to me 750m is a lot to be doing at speed..unless you have that built up from previous sessions, which it doesnt sound like you have.. maybe tone down the speed or reduce the distance a bit, you can always build it up over the coming weeks..

got my own running started in earnest this weekend ..hilly 10k on sat and the hill repeats today..calves are tight now but im glad i got it started..gonna be the first time ive followed any kind of a plan so itl be interesting to see what happens..

Good session IMO.
    What sort of pace did you do the half miles? 5-10 K pace is good starting point.

Speed repeats:
    Time: 00:41:49
    Distance: 5.20 mi

Run out: 0.5 miles, time 4:10

Rep 1: time 3:24, pace 6:50.
    1:15 rest.
    Rep2: time 3:34, pace 7:09
    Rep3: time 3:40, pace 7:20
    Rep4: time 3:36, pace 7:13
    Rep5: time 3:34, pace 7:09

Run home: 15 mins.

Speed work was done as:
    0.5 miles fast (aiming for 6:45 pace).
    1.15 mins rest.

Didn't quite make the 6:45 pace, but I'm hoping if I keep up the training I'll get there.
    Bad news is I wrecked my knee on Saturday and will probably need physio, I was planning on having an easy week anyway :/

depends on what "speed " means..but to me 750m is a lot to be doing at speed..unless you have that built up from previous sessions, which it doesnt sound like you have.. maybe tone down the speed or reduce the distance a bit, you can always build it up over the coming weeks..

woody, I've seen training programs which recommend shorter and longer intervals, personally I'm new to the speed training so I'm just trying to figure out what works for me.

Hill sprints worked wonders for endurance and speed but they're not really suitable for this type of training.

• Advertisement

Speed repeats:
    Time: 00:41:49
    Distance: 5.20 mi

Run out: 0.5 miles, time 4:10

Rep 1: time 3:24, pace 6:50.
    Rep2: time 3:34, pace 7:09
    Rep3: time 3:40, pace 7:20
    Rep4: time 3:36, pace 7:13
    Rep5: time 3:34, pace 7:09

Run home: 15 mins.

Speed work was done as:
    0.5 miles fast (aiming for 6:45 pace).
    1.15 mins rest.

Didn't quite make the 6:45 pace, but I'm hoping if I keep up the training I'll get there.
    Bad news is I wrecked my knee on Saturday and will probably need physio, I was planning on having an easy week anyway :/

As long as you are not doing them all-out, 800m reps are pretty good, especially when training for something like a 10-miler. A good guideline is that your times are remaining consistent through the session and you leave it feeling that you could do one more if you had to.

However don't worry if you do the first one too fast, that happens to most of us until you get the pacing right. You could also try plugging a recent race time into the McMillan Calculator and use his speed workout paces as guidelines. e.g. if you recently did a 50min 10K, he would recommend running your 800m reps at 3:31 to 3:41.

I hope it was not the run up Knocknarae that wrecked your knee Saturday? I had planned a run of the course on Sunday as part of my long run but postponed it with the wet weather, I'll try again next week. I know you could get wet weather on the day but I did not want to risk an injury on the slippy rocks. Good luck wit the recovery.

As long as you are not doing them all-out, 800m reps are pretty good, especially when training for something like a 10-miler. A good guideline is that your times are remaining consistent through the session and you leave it feeling that you could do one more if you had to.

However don't worry if you do the first one too fast, that happens to most of us until you get the pacing right. You could also try plugging a recent race time into the McMillan Calculator and use his speed workout paces as guidelines. e.g. if you recently did a 50min 10K, he would recommend running your 800m reps at 3:31 to 3:41.

I ran the 1/2 marathon last year and my 5K pacing time from that was 6:44, so I was trying to run my speed repeats at 6:44 pace.
    Didn't seem to have the legs for it but I think I have it in me to improve on last weeks times.
    A big factor for me last week was only doing 0.5 miles to warm up, I think my heart rate was through the roof at that stage and I never really settled into the fast pace.
    I hope it was not the run up Knocknarae that wrecked your knee Saturday? I had planned a run of the course on Sunday as part of my long run but postponed it with the wet weather, I'll try again next week. I know you could get wet weather on the day but I did not want to risk an injury on the slippy rocks. Good luck wit the recovery.

TBH the knee was bothering me for a while, but not enough to go to the physio, Friday night it was feeling much better altogether. When I went to do the Warriors on Sat I'd been crammed in a car for 2 hours, so that didn't help.
    I had a few small slips but nothing too serious - I think it was a combination of everything...

Hey guys does anyone know if you can directly give a friend your bib number? I know you have to officially exchange your details online but I wanted to know if you could select who got your bib or what not?

Pulling out of it all together. Just haven't got my arse in gear fast enough and I'd rather not compete at all than make a total show of myself.

Have you tried doing a transfer Lornen.

Would you not consider trying to walk some of it, am sure it would still be doable with in the required time.

Have you tried doing a transfer Lornen.

Would you not consider trying to walk some of it, am sure it would still be doable with in the required time.

I just know a few people doing it and I just feel like I'm going to show myself up really because they're all at it alot longer and I just don't really feel up to it.

Totally lacking all motivation as of late and I know someone else would be happy to run it considering how fast the places went!

Turns out my friend has his place so, if any boardsie needs a slot let me know before I just hand the spot away. I'd like to help someone on this over a total stranger :)

Everyone has to start off somewhere. Maybe try a couple of shorter events between now and then.

;)

I've had to re evalute my time over the course. Was huffing and puffing trying to get around the road section again my self last week.

:o

Everyone has to start off somewhere. Maybe try a couple of shorter events between now and then.

;)

I've had to re evalute my time over the course. Was huffing and puffing trying to get around the road section again my self last week.

:o

I'm going to be flat out honest and admit to being a total dumb arse and getting my stomach tattoo's redone and bending over is hilariously painful at the moment so 2 weeks out of action around 6 weeks prior to the event. Not a smart move. I don't deserve the place!

I know you'll get on well Stew, I'll make sure to be there to cheer you on aswell as the other boards members!
    :)

5 Reps of:
    0.5 miles @ speed.

Hi Hail

Good session, great start youre on the way.

Suggested Alternating Interval sessions:

I would recommend alternating weeks of long reps with shorter reps.

Shorter reps at 5k pace. Longer reps at 10k to 15k pace.

800s are quite far at 5k to start because you cant keep youre running relaxed for that lenght of time until youve done it for a few weeks.

5k pace reps.
    This is the 5k pace session i am doing to give you an idea.

400m short reps at 5k pace with 1 min rest.

Aim for 10-12 to start. The last one should be tough. If this is the tenth stop then. Run them all at 5k pace, strong, relaxed, fast.

If you run them at 5k pace your speed will improve significantly. If you run them any faster, it wont. Its up to you. Youll have to take my word for that, you have no time to experiment.

10k-15k pace long reps.
    Now to build strenght and to teach youre body to run fast for long periods of time, you need to do long reps.

1ks or miles. set rest at 90 secs for 1ks or 2mins for miles.

start with 4 by 1 mile. This pace should be a little faster than Warriors run race pace. The last one will be hard. Keep the pace sensible and controlled.

Try and get up to 6 mile total fast running for the long reps. That will teach your legs to run at a fastish pace late in the race.

The second important weekly session is the tempo run.This is usually run at 10 mile race pace which coincidently is warriors run race pace. Its a real 6 pointer.

Do this every week.

Warm up run jog for 10-15 mins then accelerate to Warriors run race pace for 20 mins then slow to easy pace for 10 to warm down.
    Add 4 mins to teh fat section the second week, then 5 mins every week to the fast bit.

The idea is to teach your body to work hard for increasingly longer sustained periods of time at race pace.

When race day comes thsi pace will only feel hard after the mountain and your body will be steeled to keep going (tempo runs) and to keep teh speed up (long and short intervals). The hill wont have hurt your chances because your climbing will be good (long hilly runs).

So the next two weeks might look like:

Week 1:

session 1: 10-12 by 400metres at 5k race pace with 60 secs rest. (dont forget warm up and down) Do on a track if possible or else a flat road.

session 2: 20 mins hard at warriors run race pace (dont forget warm up and down)

Long run on hilly course.

Week 2:

session 1: 4 by 1 mile at 10-15k race pace with 2 mins rest. (dont forget warm up and down) do on flat road or track.

session 2: 24 mins hard at warriors run race pace (dont forget warm up and down)

Long run on hilly course.

Easy running or cycling between sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dreamgoat

Lornen,

I will take that entry if it is still available

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Hi all, hope the training is going well. This will be my first year so I don't know what sort of time to expect, just hoping to finish.

I've based my training on Hal Higdon's 15k training plan which has one speed session a week, alternating between intervals and tempo runs. I always train on pretty hilly courses, but am thinking I should include hill repeats as well, perhaps alternating between those and intervals, and switching a 3m easy run for a tempo run.

Also, I've run on the warriors road route a few time, and was wondering where exactly the start and finish lines are? It'd be nice to know where the final kick will come :)

Advertisement