Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warriors Run 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

T runner wrote: »
    Week 1:

session 1: 10-12 by 400metres at 5k race pace with 60 secs rest. (dont forget warm up and down) Do on a track if possible or else a flat road.

session 2: 20 mins hard at warriors run race pace (dont forget warm up and down)

Long run on hilly course.

Hi T runner, just wondering, you've not added a hill repeat session to that routine.
    Currently I'm running 3 main sessions:

Session 1: Hill repeats.

Session 2: Speed work (will alternate distances as you've suggested).

Session 3: Long hill run (I've run the warriors run course the last 2 weeks).

Any other sessions are short runs / cross training / martial arts related (training at least 4 days a week, aiming for 5).
    Thanks again for all the advice.

Also, just back from the physio, the good news is it's just tendonitis, the bad news is no running this week :/

Edit:
    Here is the summary from my last session:
    Saturday 16/7/11
    Warriors run course:

Distance: 8.8 miles (even shorter than last week but the course isn't marked out so it's hard to tell where I'm going wrong).
    Time: 1:24:15
    Avg pace: 9:33 min miles.
    Elevation Gain: 1,214 ft

Practice session 2:
    Road section out: 21:06 + 1:06 mins
    Mountain section: 32:59 + 3:00 mins
    Road section home: 30:04 + 3:04

Last years race times:
    Road section out: 20mins - Avg 7:45 min miles.
    Mountain section: 30mins.
    Road section home: 27mins - Avg 7 min miles.

Summary:
    2 mins faster than last week, mainly on the road section home.
    Was sitting in the car for 2 hours previous to the run so my legs were very cramped from the outset.
    Got lost on the mountain section, I'm trying to track as close as possible to the actual course but it's not marked so I'm having trouble.

Had a few slips, which, combined with the knee trouble I was having has left me in a lot of pain, to the point where I couldn't walk up the stairs, or even get up from a sitting position...
    Just back from the physio and the good news is, it's nothing serious and I only have to take a weeks rest.

ectoraige wrote: »
    Also, I've run on the warriors road route a few time, and was wondering where exactly the start and finish lines are? It'd be nice to know where the final kick will come :)

Start and Finish is just outside The Strand Pub, the final kick starts when you're on the top of Knocknarrea :pac:
    Lornen wrote: »
    I'm going to be flat out honest and admit to being a total dumb arse and getting my stomach tattoo's redone and bending over is hilariously painful at the moment so 2 weeks out of action around 6 weeks prior to the event. Not a smart move. I don't deserve the place!

I'm just back from the physio and have to take 1 week off training, I'll still be running it. There's nothing like a deload week to get your ass in gear :)

6 weeks is plenty of time to get some serious training in! What kind of distance's are you doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Hi T runner, just wondering, you've not added a hill repeat session to that routine.
    Currently I'm running 3 main sessions:

Session 1: Hill repeats.

Session 2: Speed work (will alternate distances as you've suggested).

Session 3: Long hill run (I've run the warriors run course the last 2 weeks).

Any other sessions are short runs / cross training / martial arts related (training at least 4 days a week, aiming for 5).
    Thanks again for all the advice.

Also, just back from the physio, the good news is it's just tendonitis, the bad news is no running this week :/

Edit:
    Here is the summary from my last session:

Hi Hail

Think I said in a previous post, do hills once to twice per week.

So the long hilly run is one and then do one more.

Every second week, do the tempo, on undulating ground.

Every third week do the interval on uphills.

Remember, increasing your speed on the road increases youre speed on the hill without any hill training.

The long intervals and tempo get your legs very strong.

Mix it up Hail, but the tempo runs are pretty key for this race and they will have the biggest influence on your race time.

PS am down for the bank holiday weekend if you want to meet up for a run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

so since getting my ass in gear for this last saturday (16th july)
    ive done
    1 x 10k hilly run just under the hour which was woeful but its the first one in a while

hill repeats on a good steep hill .. 8 x 2 mins plus a 2k run to it and back
    i enjoyed these actually..didnt expect to

another 10k hilly run think it was round 53 minutes or something like that..

and a track interval session.. 8 x 400 at 4 min/km pace or thereabouts.. and obviously the warm up and recovery laps..worked out at about 7k in total.. found this tough but manageable..very warm morning/afternoon and didnt have anywhere near enough water with me..

so on to this week.. 6.5k race tomorrow evening.. then il have to find a hill somewhere close to home ( the one from last weekend was in meath )
    and probably back to the track at the weekend .. theres a 10k coming up shortly and im being pushed to do a half marathon (louisburgh) so i should definitely have the mileage in the legs by the time warriors comes around.. will have to get out to strandhill soon though and run the road section at least

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Went around the full route for the first time yesterday.

Lessons Learnt:
    Rest and hydrate well before the race
    Take it easy on the first stage - lots of up and down little hills to tire you before the big hill
    Walking on the steep bits is ok and does not really slow you down much
    The weather is against you - wet, wind, heat - there will always be something to get in the way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DULLAHAN2

dna_leri wrote: »
    Went around the full route for the first time yesterday.

Lessons Learnt:
    Rest and hydrate well before the race
    Take it easy on the first stage - lots of up and down little hills to tire you before the big hill
    Walking on the steep bits is ok and does not really slow you down much
    The weather is against you - wet, wind, heat - there will always be something to get in the way

Did you go round it at an easy pace?What time are you hoping to do the race on? I am hoping to do it on wednesday

DULLAHAN2 wrote: »
    Did you go round it at an easy pace?What time are you hoping to do the race on? I am hoping to do it on wednesday

Plan was to keep it easy on the road sections and push a bit on the hill.
    I started off the year saying I just want to finish the race, then set a 1:15 goal and recently reset that to 1:10.
    Yesterday was 1:15, a bit faster than planned but tells me 1:10 is possible but not taking it for granted - lots of things to go wrong.

Ran the course today. Ran 1.28 hour. beat last years time by a few sec's. Happy enough with it took it easy at the start. I went off course a bit on the mountain but not by much. I can take alot of positives from it. But i reckon running a 10 min PB is out of the question. Not sure how to tackle the mountain section. I will do it next week and attack the mountain and see how that goes. Coming down the mountain, there seems to be alot more stones there this year from what i remember being there last year:eek:.

dna_leri wrote: »
    Plan was to keep it easy on the road sections and push a bit on the hill.
    I started off the year saying I just want to finish the race, then set a 1:15 goal and recently reset that to 1:10.
    Yesterday was 1:15, a bit faster than planned but tells me 1:10 is possible but not taking it for granted - lots of things to go wrong.

Hi dna_leri, what were your time splits if you don't mind me asking.
    I.e. time to the Glenn Road gate, Time off the mountain, finish time is ovbiously 1:15.
    Good going anyway!

Hi dna_leri, what were your time splits if you don't mind me asking.
    I.e. time to the Glenn Road gate, Time off the mountain, finish time is ovbiously 1:15.
    Good going anyway!

No problem asking.

Roughly:
    Seafront to the Glenn Road gate =23 mins
    I did not go up via the race route, so from gate to carpark =4:30
    Car park to car park (via cairn) =18:45
    Back to seafront =29mins
    I think that all adds up.

I pushed it a bit up the hill to try to get used to finishing on tired legs but as they say the real race is in 4 weeks time. :eek:

• Advertisement

Hail 2 Da Chimp Did you have a GPS watch at last years warriors? If you did, did you have mile or km splits? Can you tell me what your mile splits for mile 3 and 4 were? Mine were 14.48 for mile 3 and 14.40 for mile 4. I want to compare times to see how fast other people are doing those in because i think they are very slow.

DULLAHAN2 wrote: »
    Hail 2 Da Chimp Did you have a GPS watch at last years warriors? If you did, did you have mile or km splits? Can you tell me what your mile splits for mile 3 and 4 were? Mine were 14.48 for mile 3 and 14.40 for mile 4. I want to compare times to see how fast other people are doing those in because i think they are very slow.

I had my watch on me the last time I ran the course, but I hit the lap button at the gate so my splits are kinda messed up, here is what I have:

to the gate: 20 mins.
    mile 2.6-3.6 00:19:36 (from the gate, for 1 mile)
    mile 3.6-4.6 00:11:13 (from almost top, almost to the bottom)

I know my total time on the mountain is usually approx 30 - 35 mins, if thats any help?

I had my watch on me the last time I ran the course, but I hit the lap button at the gate so my splits are kinda messed up, here is what I have:

to the gate: 20 mins.
    mile 2.6-3.6 00:19:36 (from the gate, for 1 mile)
    mile 3.6-4.6 00:11:13 (from almost top, almost to the bottom)

I know my total time on the mountain is usually approx 30 - 35 mins, if thats any help?

Yeah thanks for that. I am around the 35 min mark on the mountain, from the gate to the carpark. That would prob be average for for a lot of runners

did the road section today
    1 hr and 1 min ...happy enough with that...glad to have seen it before the actual race..

woody1 wrote: »
    did the road section today
    1 hr and 1 min ...happy enough with that...glad to have seen it before the actual race..

What time are you aiming for?

i have no idea what time im aiming for ..first time doing it..someone said 30 to 35 minutes on the mountain is about average... so 1.30 to 1.40 ..legs are bound to be more tired from climbing knocknarea than they were from running the glen road so i might have to add a bit for that... plan to do the road section again this weekend and next weekend and one of those 2 days il shoot up and down the main trail to give me an idea of overall times..but anywhere between 1.30 and 1.45 ish and il be hapy enough..
    i was running with a friend that would be a good bit faster than me and he dragged me along a bit...think id have been a bit slower if i was on me own... glad to have run it..even from the beach to the main road/first right turn is a tough enough little climb... i can see why fellas would be fr*gged before they got near knocknarea... pacing is gonna be important..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

I've done the road section a couple of times too, and a bit that really got me was on the approach back into the village, once you hit the roundabout, there's a sneaky wee steep bit there to bring you back up to the top of the village. I had let rip from the petrol station thinking I was on a home straight, but that wee hill is worth holding a bit of power back for :)

missed that hill believe it or not, both last week and this week again, ran straight thru the roundabout, ran back up the hill to kellys this week to make up the distance/hill...
    anyway back out again this morning, a lot of runners about today... ran up to the car park on knocknarea, running partner under time pressure so couldnt go any further..started from the cannon instead of the car park so prob ran a km further than last week but was 15 minutes slower..mind you i didnt get breakfast so that couldnt help...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 keithraymond

Hi, I'd like to know where the race path is when you get to the top of the glen road. is it at the caravan?
    I'm not sure where it is. Is it longer than running up the normal tourist path?

Thanks

yeah not sure about where it starts either keithraymond, there are a couple of gates on that side of the road that it could be, i figured the caravan one looked about right to me, itd be nice if anyone in the know here could tell us...

• Advertisement

sorry..just looking at the map there, i think the turn off is a fair bit earlier than the one with the caravan, there is a car pull in area on the right for a tourist viewing point and theres a gate on the left hand side of the road..( currently has a private sign on it ) ..think from looking at the map that thats the turn off the road

And you would be right there. According to garmin about 2.6 miles into the run give or take

Id reckon the layby where you turn off for the climb is a good spot for family and supporters. A 10 minute walk from there will get them to the knocknarea turnoff below the carpark so they can support you twice and judge your rate of deterioration to guess what state youll be in in Strandhill!

The best action spot is half way up the tourist trail to where it opens out. Youll get views of runners descending the steep section at speed. Any spectators should bring a digital camera especually if watching here.

Any where on the road home is a good spot. The turn off onto the main Strandhill road near St Annes, just over 2k out is a place where encouragement may be needed for flagging courage.

The finish is good craic obviously.

Any more suggestions? We can link to any photos we get here.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Dont know if its covered in the race pack, or in any breifings before the race, but is their any race etiquette especially when coming down the tourist trail. Ie, walkers keep left on the stoney section when coming down towards the car park.

irish-stew wrote: »
    Dont know if its covered in the race pack, or in any breifings before the race, but is their any race etiquette especially when coming down the tourist trail. Ie, walkers keep left on the stoney section when coming down towards the car park.

The walkers don't do the mountain part, so they shouldn't be an issue.

Normally at that section the crowd has dispersed and its not usually as packed, so I haven't had any issues running that part before. If I'm passing someone I'll usually yell "coming through" or something, just so you don't end up taking them and yourself out of the race.

But it's usually fine, the mountain usually thins out the crowd :)

so race is now in 10 days
    would it be dumb to go round the course again this weekend.. still havent done the full hill climb on knocknarea ...
    or would i be better off doing something shorter and less painful on the legs.. and resting as much as possible for the week...
    very tempted..may just drive up to the car park and go for a look around on the hill instead of running the whole thing..
    will be running tonight and saturday anyway so that could be enough without adding another 15k odd on sunday..

woody1 wrote: »
    so race is now in 10 days
    would it be dumb to go round the course again this weekend.. still havent done the full hill climb on knocknarea ...
    or would i be better off doing something shorter and less painful on the legs.. and resting as much as possible for the week...
    very tempted..may just drive up to the car park and go for a look around on the hill instead of running the whole thing..
    will be running tonight and saturday anyway so that could be enough without adding another 15k odd on sunday..

Walk it to make yourself familiar with it at this stage. Youll have to walk a lot of it on race day so the walk will be beneficial. At the least it will give you a good idea for pacing the first road section (ie keep plenty in the tank). Reduce your mileage by 40% for the last week including your long run on saturday.

Hey T runner

Quick question about the descent is it quicker to come straight down the mountain or to follow the path down? Last year i ran down the first 2 ledges then went off of the gravel track down the grassy path but i am not sure if this is the best way down. Have you any taughts on the quickest way down?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Can anyone give any more details on the accent path, I seen mention of a caravan. Does it start on that concrete lane just part it, with the one or two gates accross it.

I have been using the tourist path at the carpark, and going to the top and back down from there, but would like to get see the actual accent at least once before the big day. Gradient and terrian wise is there much difference.

• Advertisement

Irish stew

When you are going up the glen road there is a place to the right where cars can park to the left of that there is a gate, that is where you go off the road and onto the mountain. The accent is steep in places and runnerable in others. I wouldn't do the accent if you are not sure of it as i did the accent few weeks back and went off track a couple hundred yards and i did the warriors last year

Advertisement