Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warriors Run 2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

dna_leri wrote: »
    I thought Barry was out or did I misread this: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73953866&postcount=89

Hopefully Emmet gets the win but there is always potential for surprises.

I thought that too when he posted, but it wasnt his entry- he was acting for another Rathfarnham team member.

I believe hes very doubtful at this stage though through illness.

So Emmett or Eoin G of the runners we know. Im presuming there wont be many more of that caliber: probably none given teh way registration happenned.

So more than likely Emmett D or Eoin G and with Eoin not showing up in race results then Emmett must be favourite.

If Eoin is fit though, hes 2 mins faster than anyone else in the field, and hes tough as nails.

In the womens: one of the Rathfarnham withdrawals would probably have been race favourite. I would see it as possibly being a completly wide open race, like in 2009 when a woman from Belfast was stunned to win the €1000 special prize that year with a time of 75 ish.
    @T runner: Is it a fair estimate to expect rough split times of 25% at start of off-road section, 50% at the cairn and 75% mid-way along Rathcarrick Road (around the big house) ? Appreciate all your inputs on this and other thread. Good luck on the day to all.

Thats right.

If youve paced it right the cairn should be slightly over half way in time. If youve gone out to hard youll still have most of the race to go unfortunately.

The 75% at the big house looks spot on. Usually at this stage youre not going to pass too many more people (mayne 1 or two) and its just a mental test of keeping the pace to avoid losing places

When you get down from the steep Moxies hill with just over two K, the first k is very flat. I usually try and pretend thsi is a training k on a good flat surface. Pick the cadence up and concentrate on running smoothly here. It takes the mind off things and when its over, the remaining distance is psychologically manageable. Running that second last k relaxed and fast is a real 6 pointer for mind and body. The remainder is pure torture but were not far from teh beautiful view of the finish then!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Tomorrows the big day. Good luck everybody whose running.

Hopefully we dont get a repeat of that heavy shower just now again tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DULLAHAN2

I am hoping for an overcast day and the sun not to come out till after i finish the run :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

im sure we'll get some kind of rain, hopefully nothing heavy or sustained..
    anyway best of luck to all

Good luck everyone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Best of luck folks...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

Ankle still strapped, back and shoulder covered in tiger balm and I can't bend / move properly, thanks rugby!!

Good luck to all tomorrow, I know i'm not going to enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 keithraymond

Good luck to everyone.

Hope it is a nice day for it, not too warm, with no rain. Hoping for a good time myself, Emmet Dunleavy for the win in my view he has been in great form the past few weeks and months. Heres a small diary of my training geared mainly for the warriors run with some other bits in between, some of ye might get a bit of reading out of it. :) See ye at the start! Boom!!!

http://keithraymondtrainingblog.blogspot.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

Good luck today everyone, hopefully the rain stays away. Be interesting to see the times afterwards, last time I climbed Knocknarea it took about and hour up and down (we were admiring the view of course)!!

The weathers not to bad actully....

between the showers :D

Enjoy it everyone. Take care on that decent.

• Advertisement

Best of luck to everyone today should be fun!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Best of luck to everyone running, all the preparation comes to fruition today!

See ye at the finish line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Good luck all. I'll feel so lazy sitting on my hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Cool Running

First time not being in Strandhill for the Warriors since 2004 :(

Look forward to reading how everyone here got on

Best of luck

KEEP HER LIT

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

PREDICTION
    cloneslad wrote: »
    Cloneslad 1:25

Actual Time: 1:24:51 (not a bad guess)

Garmin time: 1:23:2? - There must be a prob with my garmin, is there any way to sync it? My cousin finished 30 seconds behind me and his watch showed a 2 min difference and was pretty exact to the official net time.

Quite happy with my time, I don't like hills and don't train on them so I can't expect to get a much better one without the work. I walked the majority of the first hill of the glen road, as well as the mountain, but ran everything else.

SPOOKY BIT:

My bib number (after a lot of confusion with my registration) was 278.
    The race date was the 27th of the 8th.
    My overall finishing place - 278th.

Hope everyone survived the run with ankles still working. Same time next year :)

Oh and I beat my cousin (overtaking him at Kellys, with 1km left, on the way back in) and also beat my brother too.....result!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

woody1
    predicted 1:40
    actual 1:29 , i did say it could be a bit off,
    happy with that.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭KayTee

Well done to all participants today, fantastic atmosphere at the finish line. Fair play to ye all!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Predicted time: 1.29
    Actual time: 1.20

Very happy with that. 1st time doing the warriors and it was a great run and one of the best atmospheres I have come across. Great crowds all around the route and plenty of water (and sweeties), very very well organised.

Thanks to T runner for the advice in one of the last posts, didn't blast off from the start, just took it handy. Was feeling it after tearing down the mountain until the turn towards the finish line so reckon I would have been nailed but for the advice. Cheers.

Now for a few refreshments..whoop!!

dna_leri wrote: »
    DULLAHAN2 1.25

did 1.26 happy with that as i was quite drunk yesterday

Predicted 1hr40min

Actual 1hr30min ish

Was like a pig in s**t looking at my stop watch on the line, dispite lying flat on my back, gulping in air, and my calf cramping up something serious.

The massage afterwards was like a little peice of heaven.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Predicted: 1:15

Actual: 1:15

Very happy with my time, as above a huge thanks to T runner for all the advice. Enjoy the pints tonight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

1:04 v's 1:10 planned. Tough, enjoyed it but it was tough. Great atmosphere in the village too.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

irish-stew wrote: »
    Predicted 1hr40min

Actual 1hr30min ish

Was like a pig in s**t looking at my stop watch on the line, dispite lying flat on my back, gulping in air, and my calf cramping up something serious.

The massage afterwards was like a little peice of heaven.

:)

Wow Stew! Actually BEAMING for you on finding you got such a great time!

I was in work so forgot to log on and wish you luck but you certainly didn't need it!!

Hope you're having a nice relaxing day after that!

Everyone congrats on your amazing times!

It seems everyone got their predictions close enough and everyone happy with their times.

Hope ye're all having a mega lie in today!

Well done to all.
    I ran 1.12.06 in a sprint finish with a mate, thrilling atmosphere coming in the road! Hair was standing on my neck!
    Was hoping for 1.07 or 1.08..little disappointed! Just need to improve some aspects of training for next year to gain crucial minutes...on the flat and on the mountain.
    When I was running yesterday I was wondering if ye guys were beside me...funny!
    Looking forward to next year already!
    :):):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Conman1

Well done to all.
    I ran 1.12.06 in a sprint finish with a mate, thrilling atmosphere coming in the road! Hair was standing on my neck!
    Was hoping for 1.07 or 1.08..little disappointed! Just need to improve some aspects of training for next year to gain crucial minutes...on the flat and on the mountain.
    When I was running yesterday I was wondering if ye guys were beside me...funny!
    Looking forward to next year already!
    :):):):)
    I was running beside you for most of the mountain and for most of ransboro 10k and the horseshoe!

nice one man, i'd probably recognise ya so..how did ya get on yesterday? Mountain was tough Whats the name?

@Lornen. You have to do it next year.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Conman1

nice one man, i'd probably recognise ya so..how did ya get on yesterday? Mountain was tough Whats the name?
    Conor McCann is the name. finished 1:10:47.Delighted with it. Took 4 mins of my only other attempt. Was not expecting to do that as very little training compared to last time out. Was just behind you till maybe 300m from summit. The quads and shoulders are well hammered today. Not looking forward to the stairs at work tommorrow!

Did it in just over the hour.

Started very slow and gradually made my way through the field. Was working together with another boardsie here up until the cairn. Felt very good at this stage and ready to give the run home a good rattle. Started the descent well but lost my concentration about half way down the steep bit and my legs were fairly trashed by the bottom. I tried to speed it up going home but it felt fairly steady and was hanging on from about 2k out. Satisfied with the effort. Ive learned that i need to do more cyclcng or long runs with big descents to toughen the legs up so that i can run fast after the mountain. I was fit enough to really attack it home but the legs had all the speed knocked out of them.

Well done to all boardsies, everyone seems to have had good runs. I thought the conditions were good in that there was plenty of cool air around so overheating etc was never at issue. I think the times were generally good this year and its better to have a breeze even into your face going home, than a still muggy day with no air to fuel tired muscles late in the race.

The tent afterwards was definately the best ever. the band was brilliant (anyone know thir name they deserve a plug?) and the tent was rocking.

There was a traffic cone on the sign for the airport turnoff in Strandhill which was a good indication of another good warriors day and night.

Anyone reading who hasnt run this or maybe doesnt even run should consider it for next year. Very satisfying race and feeling to have covered the distance and crossing the line is a super feeling altogether. Very positive thing to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Mountain_Surfer

Absolutely chuffed with my race. It was my first Warriors and I hadn't run the course beforehand. Training consisted of four runs up Djouce in the two weeks prior to the race! My naivety told me that I was going to run the entire way up the mountain.... Ha! Got a serious reality check on the day. Did run all the way up through the first two fields then walked the steep bits and ran the not so steep bits (that werent single file) from there on up. Flew back down from the cairn but not having the miles in my legs was very evident on the 6km back to the finish.

Must say the support the entire way around was fantastic. I somehow managed to get enough strength together to leggit over the last 300m ish and the cheers were unreal. Sincere thanks to everyone involved.

Predicted/Estimated Time: 1.20
    Wanted to be inside the top 30% - 40%

Bib: 684
    Actual Time: 1.15.31
    Place: 92nd

:D

Rub down afterwards has worked wonders for the calfs but quads are fairly sore this evening. Well done everyone

Advertisement