Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tramore to Waterford airport??

• 08-04-2011 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

If you dont have a car, is there any possible way of getting out to waterford airport?

Any way at all??

If not its just ridiculous!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Roomic Cube

A taxi or hackney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Or walk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Taxi wouldn't cost more than 12-15 euro. That's your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

Take one of the horses from Hillview.....maybe with a cart on the back....or a caravan....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Cycle, its not that far, and there are nice views on the route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Quite shocking theres no bus service there!

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭munster_mafia

None from waterford either, so harldy surprising none from tramore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Must be one of only Airports in the world without ANY public transport links?

wmpdd3 wrote: »

have to agree with you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

RobitTV wrote: »
    have to agree with you there.

Ask yourselves have you ever been to an airport as small as Waterford anywhere else?

In any case, it's getting to the stage where a bus would make sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Bus to Waterford might make sense, bus to Tramore wouldn't make any money from the airport in its current form.

One solution would be if a local taxi / 8-seater started advertising airport runs

Walk to Johns park and get 2 busses home?

Do any of the hotels do a curtasy bus, blag a lift.

Bus to Waterford might make sense, bus to Tramore wouldn't make any money from the airport in its current form.

One solution would be if a local taxi / 8-seater started advertising airport runs
    I don't see any point in a full size bus given that it is a small airport, but I think the mini-bus idea is a good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Its a pretty small airport, im pretty sure no bus service to or from could make profit but i wouldnt know for sure i guess. maybe its an idea for a business eh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

The vast majority of business on these flights would be corporate related. I would see very little scope for this kind of service.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭araic88

wmpdd3 wrote: »

Apparently Southend doesn't either :rolleyes: (the new "London" route from Waterford.) There's supposed to be a train station there but it ain't yet!
    Still, worse to be flying from Galway and having to stop off at Waterford :p

Getting to London Southend
    London Southend airport is located approximately 35 miles from Canary Wharf and approximately 40 miles from central London. The distance from the M25 orbital motorway is 18 miles.

Free shuttle buses will run from Rochford station to the terminal front for passenger use from Central London and throughout south Essex up to and including Southend itself. Click here for more information.

No they fixed that!

araic88 wrote: »
    Apparently Southend doesn't either :rolleyes: (the new "London" route from Waterford.) There's supposed to be a train station there but it ain't yet!
    Still, worse to be flying from Galway and having to stop off at Waterford :p

i can now confirm southend station is open.

Atleast they have some sort of public transportation we have Nothing at all!

Even before the galway and waterford Routes opened, They had one route, and a bus service to the airport.

Everthing in the UK Is so well funded.

waterford Airport deserves a bus service.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭steven22

Been on a good few flights to London where there was 10-15 passengers max at any one time I have flown, most people get family/friends to drop them out, some use the car park, some don't live in Waterford City / Tramore so why would there be a need for a bus for maybe that one - two passengers that do not fall into the above categories.

The airport runs very few flights/destinations it just wouldn't make any economic sense to provide a bus, maybe some local taxi company should provide better deals but that is the best you are going to get unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭puppetmaster

dayshah wrote: »
    Cycle, its not that far, and there are nice views on the route.
    Often thought of cycling out that road, Fairly high likley hood of gettin killed though no?

The ones who could run a bus service to the airport would be the airport itself to run a 30/20ish seater on a loop from airport to tramore to waterford. dont forget there is only maybe one commercial flight out of there a day if even. and that flight only takes 68 passangers, half of which prob already got on in Galway.

The Airlink bus in Dublin costs 6 euro from the city to the Airport, Surley a Hackney from tramore would only cost about €10?

Or as mentioned before, Phone a friend.

AdMMM wrote: »
    The vast majority of business on these flights would be corporate related. I would see very little scope for this kind of service.

Hmm... last time I saw figures on this, only around 40% of passengers on the Waterford-Luton flight was business, iirc. But I mean, what do you think businesses do, sent out Limos for their staff? Staff wouldn't be going to or from work most of the time, given the flight times, they'll be going to or from their house. A decent bus service could hit, say, WIT, the junction, Ardkeen and the ORR on the way to the airport, which would cover most people. Could even start in Ferrybank possibly.

Even if you have a car, at €8 per night, or €35 per week, it may not make sense to leave it out there.

I wouldn't see any problem with providing a bus that was tailored to the flight times. You can't really go wrong as long as it's well advertised, properly timetabled and reliable; which you can easily be first thing in the morning and last thing at night.

I remember taxi drivers complaining to me before that it wasn't worth their while going out there. Now they sit around and wait on the flights. These things are seen as obvious in time. I would have the bus take in Tramore if it was convenient, given that it's 20% the size of the city at this stage.

The ones who could run a bus service to the airport would be the airport itself to run a 30/20ish seater on a loop from airport to tramore to waterford. dont forget there is only maybe one commercial flight out of there a day if even. and that flight only takes 68 passangers, half of which prob already got on in Galway.

The Airlink bus in Dublin costs 6 euro from the city to the Airport, Surley a Hackney from tramore would only cost about €10?

Or as mentioned before, Phone a friend.

One commercial flight a day?

There's an average of 5+ flights out a day during the summer, and 4+ flights out a day during the winter. Make that 4 and 3 respectively if you take out the Galway flights, which aren't where the money is. I assume you have a similar number of flights coming in. That should be enough to keep an Imp bus going. Surely with 20% unemployment or more in the city somebody would do this for a reasonable wage.

Not sure there's many friends who'd take that call at 06:30 for a lift to the airport...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Seven seater taxi doing a run from Tramore an hour before each flight isn't a bad idea! Might also pick up a return run as well given that there is a flight arrival first usually!

Parking out there is now one of the most expensive in the country!

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

the airport barely has flights let alone buses.

savic04 wrote: »
    the airport barely has flights let alone buses.

Did you actually read the thread?

Yeah i did... and dont need to be told anything about the airport, i know enough about it...

It has maybe 4 or 5 flights some days...
    Until they extend the runway to allow for bigger aircraft, it will always only stay that way.
    We enquired about charting planes for summer use before like a few years back, but until that happens, as good as Aer Arann are, it will never expand in current format, which is a pity..

savic04 wrote: »
    Yeah i did... and dont need to be told anything about the airport, i know enough about it...

It has maybe 4 or 5 flights some days...
    Until they extend the runway to allow for bigger aircraft, it will always only stay that way.
    We enquired about charting planes for summer use before like a few years back, but until that happens, as good as Aer Arann are, it will never expand in current format, which is a pity..

It does have 4 or 5 flights, in and out. Why couldn't a minibus be provided serving those flights? That's all people are saying. I mean people would be expected to pay for it.

Based on 2010 passengers figure there are about 280 people flying out every day, and presumably a similar number flying in. At 4.5 flights per day, that's around 62 people on a flight. If even 15% took the bus, that's around 9 people. 9 people paying, say €6, could pay a man's wages and cover other costs. The existence of the service itself would also generate more business for the airport.

I don't think you need a runway extension to expand either. There was a flight to Amsterdam put on at the end of the boom. That could come back again. London city airport has a similar sized runway and has a few million flying in and out of it every year.

Wasnt the amsterdam flight based on the charter aircraft BAE planes...

or was it the ATR's Aer Areann use..

People will support it if there are there are sufficent flights.
    the fact the charters had to GWY-WAT-FAO or AGP and vice versa was a put off for some but if there were regular flights with an online booking system such as RE had, it would help overall...

However, if the Runway was bigger wouldnt it be great if FR came back to where they started and had one plane stationed.. its only something like that, that would really see increase of service.

• Advertisement

Often thought of cycling out that road, Fairly high likley hood of gettin killed though no?

Its a safe road. If you wear bright clothes a car could see you from 1km away.

Advertisement