Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Educate together

• 08-04-2011 9:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 305 ✭✭

Has anyone out there got a child in an Educate together school. My child is on the waiting list, but it is not our first choice. This is mainly down to the fact that I don't know anyone in one to give me any pointers!
    If anyone could give me info, good or bad, that would be great.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Better suited here OP

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Every school is different, so you can't say all Educate Together/Gaelscoileanna/Church of Ireland Schools are like this or that.Maybe if you can be more specific as to what area you are in, you could get better feedback?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 305 ✭✭Greystoner

I am in Greystones area, county Wicklow.

Greystoner wrote: »
    Has anyone out there got a child in an Educate together school. My child is on the waiting list, but it is not our first choice. This is mainly down to the fact that I don't know anyone in one to give me any pointers!
    If anyone could give me info, good or bad, that would be great.
    Thanks!

My son went to an ET school, but that wasn't in Greystones.

Can I ask why you would consider an ET school as opposed to any other school in your local area?

Have you checked out the Greystones ETNS website?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 305 ✭✭Greystoner

Our first choice is at another local Catholic school, but we are quite far down on the waiting list. I like this one because it is well established, we know children there (who are very happy) and I just get a good vibe off the place tbh.

The ET school; I like the idea of the non-religious aspect and the learning about other cultures/celebrating them etc, but as the Greystones school is very new and we don't know anyone there, I am still unsure.

We will have to accept whichever school comes up. I would just like to be more informed about what is so 'different' about it. I am open-minded, but at the end of the day, I want what is best for my children.

So any reports/tips would be great.

thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

From a curriculum point of view the only difference between ET and other schools is the religious education. Faith based schools practise religious instruction classes where ET do religious, moral and ethical education - Learn Together Curriculum

ET schools attempt to engage the parents more and have this as part of their core values. However faith based schools can also do this and it really depends on your local schools how involved parents can be in the school.

Best thing is to ask some parents in the area. Most schools have open days which would be an ideal opportunity to talk to parents and teachers in the school about their experiences.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

ET schools don't generally have a uniform and call teachers by their first names. I agree that you should go to the school,ask to chat with the principal and you'll get a good idea of the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Dublin_Mom

I had my children in an ET school, in another part of South Dublin.
    I loved the school, very friendly and inclusive, but I pulled them out when I realised that both my kids were very bright and the school did not really put much emphasis on academics. To put it mildly my kids were not challenged. Other people had the same issue and some left the school, others stuck it out.

This was my limited experience with one ET school. Not sure if they are all the same, but I have a 'feeling' they might be because of their all inclusive ethos. The school my sons were at didn't really encourage winners or losers, but at sports day everyone got a cert to say 'X had played an active part in the sports day' Now thats fine.....to a point. And lovely for the younger classes. But as we all know life is not like that and they have to hit the real world sometime.

But I would certainly go and visit and ask some relevant questions. Good Luck!

Greystoner wrote: »
    The ET school; I like the idea of the non-religious aspect and the learning about other cultures/celebrating them etc, but as the Greystones school is very new and we don't know anyone there, I am still unsure.

The unique selling point of ET schools is that they have a specific angle on religion. Inclusiveness and democracy are certainly elements, as is the notion of a multi-denominational approach to religious education - but the original and core purpose of ET schools was to provide schooling for the kids of non-believers.

(Looking from the outside, it seems to me that ET has been suffering from a bit of "mission creep" in recent years, but that's a whole other debate).

If the particular religious angle of a school isn't important to you, then really it is all about picking the school you think will work out best for you and your child.

It's well worth taking the advice of Macros42 and byhookorbycrook. School principals are very important in determining the quality of schools, and you really should try to talk to the principal(s) before making a final decision.

The unique selling point of ET schools is that they have a specific angle on religion. Inclusiveness and democracy are certainly elements, as is the notion of a multi-denominational approach to religious education - but the original and core purpose of ET schools was to provide schooling for the kids of non-believers.
    That is complete and utter rubbish. Even the term "non-believers" is rubbish in this context. You should read up on the core values of ET because you obviously have no clue what ET is about.

• Advertisement

Macros42 wrote: »
    That is complete and utter rubbish. Even the term "non-believers" is rubbish in this context. You should read up on the core values of ET because you obviously have no clue what ET is about.

If you say so.

My son attended an ET school. The reason he attended is because we are atheists.

ET grew out of the multi-denominational school movement of the 1980s, whose objective was to provide an alternative to schools with a religious ethos.

While respect for all religious backgrounds - including humanism, atheism and agnosticism - has been a stated principle of ET for as long as I can remember, the fact is that the organisation and the movement out of which it grew was in the main built by and for humanists.

Since those days, ET has undergone considerable "mission creep" in my view, but the same can be said of the religious patrons in the education system, and ET can hardly be expected to stand still as times change.

And finally, should you choose to address the above, try to do so in a more self-aware manner than your previous post. I understand that the bold print means that you're a moderator. I suggest you try to behave like one.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

And finally, should you choose to address the above, try to do so in a more self-aware manner than your previous post. I understand that the bold print means that you're a moderator. I suggest you try to behave like one.

Moderators outside their modded forums are just regular users. However, back seat modding is not allowed. Please re-read the charter and consider this your on thread warning.
    Problems With Posts/Posters

If you have a problem with a post or a poster, use the Report Post button and let the moderators deal with it. Back seat moderating is not permitted.

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Moderators outside their modded forums are just regular users. However, back seat modding is not allowed. Please re-read the charter and consider this your on thread warning.

Fair comment. Sorry about that.

If you say so.

My son attended an ET school. The reason he attended is because we are atheists.

ET grew out of the multi-denominational school movement of the 1980s, whose objective was to provide an alternative to schools with a religious ethos.

While respect for all religious backgrounds - including humanism, atheism and agnosticism - has been a stated principle of ET for as long as I can remember, the fact is that the organisation and the movement out of which it grew was in the main built by and for humanists.

Since those days, ET has undergone considerable "mission creep" in my view, but the same can be said of the religious patrons in the education system, and ET can hardly be expected to stand still as times change.

Respect for all religious backgrounds has been a central tenet of ET since before it was ET - since it was the Project. But it was not designed just to cater for atheists as you said in your first post but to cater for anyone who wanted a more inclusive education for their children. This includes Christians, Muslims, Jews - anyone. Built by humanists - yes. Built solely for humanists - no.

I don't agree that it has suffered mission creep as you say. I think it's core beliefs have not changed. People of all faith and none subscribe to ET and have done since it's founding and hopefully will continue to - you cannot exclude religious families and call yourself inclusive.

Just as an FYI - I'm an atheist as well and my children have no religion and attend an ET school as we do not subscribe to the Catholic education system either.

[edit]D4rk Onion: I was typing this as you and Ulysses replied - feel free to delete/edit as appropriate.
    [edit2]Removed it myself :)

to cater for anyone who wanted a more inclusive education for their children.

Yep. And in a system in which every primary school in the country devoted time to instruction in its specific religion, the group of people most likely to benefit from schools that did not devote time to religious instruction were those who did not have a specific religious faith.

Built by humanists - yes. Built solely for humanists - no.

I think "primarily" would be a better word than "solely".

I don't agree that it has suffered mission creep as you say.

I think it has. It certainly has a different image among the general public now than it did back in the 1990s. Quite a few times in recent years I've heard people express variations of the view that ET is the government body that builds schools for foreigners. The people in question would not be uneducated, either, even if the viewpoint is a bit *ahem* dubious.

we do not subscribe to the Catholic education system either.

As it happens I do subscribe to the Catholic education system, just not for me and mine.

Mind you, I do recall telling a colleague at work about a mate of mine whose kids weren't baptised, and being asked how could I be a friend of a child abuser. :eek:

That was in 1991. How times change, eh?

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on certain aspects.

I do withdraw my remark about you not having a clue what ET is about - that is obviously wrong. We do appear to have different understandings of it. I stand by my response to the term "non-believers" though.

It certainly has a different image - I 100% agree. I have had family members use certain expressions regarding ET schools myself. However public perception is not necessarily the reality as we well know.
    being asked how could I be a friend of a child abuser
    Sure aren't all us atheists child abusers. And devil worshipers. And wife-swapping sodomites :D

I do withdraw my remark...

Likewise. Thanks and apologies.

Sure aren't all us atheists child abusers. And devil worshipers. And wife-swapping sodomites :D

Ah, the good old days before I got middle-aged. :D :eek:

Advertisement