Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trampoline

Options
  • 08-04-2011 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

I'm getting some work done on the lawn in next few weeks and the wind broke the bars on the trampoline last week(after I had it stored all winter:mad:)

Anyway I want the digger to dig a hole and put the trampoline into it at ground level so the kids dont need a net.

Has anyone ever done this, any tips?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭jippers87

Hiya! My boyfriend is a landscaper and has done this many times.

The ground can collapse in if not done properly so I'd say make sure whoever is doing it has done them before and lines it and supports it.

Don't believe what people say about weeds and grass growing up through it. The sun can't reach that ground properly so it won't happen!

A certain amount of space has to be left around the border so there is room for air expansion or whatever it's called!

I know a few peopl who love it but don't do what one muppet did and put a line of stones around the rim to make it look 'like a feature'!! :eek::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

take into consideration that the cost of placing a trampoline "in ground" would far exceed the cost of the item itself...excavation,leveling, drainage and wall support are all elements that should be tackled professionally - esp when child safety is key.

also when the kids have outgrown the trampoline then you are left with the headache of having to deal with a large excavation in the backyard...

in my own experience i have had this request twice in the last 17 years and refused on both occasions.....but each to there own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Did this more than 10 years ago (before the kids!), and its brilliant and the excavated soil made a mound to put the slide on.
    The hole was nearly 4ft deep, put in hardcore for the base. Lined the edge with half round stakes, and when the kids have outgrown, the trampoline will remain for me!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Mothman wrote: »
    Did this more than 10 years ago (before the kids!), and its brilliant and the excavated soil made a mound to put the slide on.
    The hole was nearly 4ft deep, put in hardcore for the base. Lined the edge with half round stakes, and when the kids have outgrown, the trampoline will remain for me!! :D

Thanks, was going to leave the soil there aswell, boys & dogs love digging. Would you mind putting a pic up for me.:D

I can do better than one :D You can click on it for slightly larger pic.
    12ft trampoline. A huge mound of soil came out!..so bear this in mind. Its a bit steep and at times slippy, but we also put a waterslide on it which the kids think is fab. Worked well in the snow as well....:D
    217E1B08BA134509BB51233C16E40459-0000317152-0002256648-00500L-BDC5F129749E4448B504A50E6EAED307.jpg
    ED2F2A78A40348D2A883A29B558A5114-0000317152-0002256649-00500L-AC57ACC540CE4AD5A48A5646337157E1.jpg
    7CC2B31F38DE4991BA95549FD738FEC5-0000317152-0002256650-00500L-C3DADA37AC4F4A09B9A5760C5D021AEB.jpg
    Nothing grows underneath. A little bit of moss. The frogs like it and sometimes spawn in there :eek: About a foot of hardcore which was really overkill. Half that would have been fine and less soil would have come out, but I had a big excavator and it couldn't really tell the difference between 4ft and 3.5ft ;)
    9DC32342383243E490E713D25029AB9D-0000317152-0002256647-00500L-ECC662A514E449D78EB52082433D5200.jpg
    67EE9A718E64425E989E7ACC6E95F0CE-0000317152-0002256646-00500L-34C8692C66574611AFC129A23BF80F2C.jpg
    Detail of stake
    986A802ED20044A4A547F539F57A3FF8-0000317152-0002256645-00500L-EC771085E3254FC3962DE2B4A5FBC7D0.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Thanks Mothman, exactly what I was looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭coxy123

Interesting way of installing the base!

What do people do to keep the grass down underneath the base - do you just let it grow up or spray it with a grass suppressor?

coxy123 wrote: »
    Interesting way of installing the base!

What do people do to keep the grass down underneath the base - do you just let it grow up or spray it with a grass suppressor?
    Nothing has ever grown under mine. A bit of moss on the stones and that's it.

10 mins with hedge clippers around the edge sorts out the long grass that the mower doesn't reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭coxy123

Mothman wrote: »
    Nothing has ever grown under mine. A bit of moss on the stones and that's it.

10 mins with hedge clippers around the edge sorts out the long grass that the mower doesn't reach.

I'm sorry Mothman. I should have explained - I'm talking about if you install using the traditional method of having the base elevated/raised above ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 dreamhome

Hi there, just wondering is this the same as the bought - in-ground trampolines? Thats a lot of work and money, but fantastic all the same, just that we coulndt do that here.

I thought it was a case of just burrying the supports, This is what i'm talking about

http://www.clearystoysandnursery.com/product_info.php?cPath=86&products_id=710

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭hammer73

http://www.clearystoysandnursery.com/product_info.php?cPath=86&products_id=710[/QUOTE]

Was thinking of getting a Berg inground trampoline, anyone have one or see one? What are your opinions?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭hammer73

Still looking for advise on inground trampolines, is it worth the extra work compared to regular trampolines?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Sallyms

We installed a full-size Olympic trampoline in our garden and it's unquestionably been our best ever investment. However, be very sure you get it done properly ... there's copious amounts of well-meaning idiots doing these and they've no comprehension of soil dynamics ... gardeners aren't always fully proficient and the advise of an Engineer is what you require & then seek someone to install it thereafter.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭dozy doctor

Why anyone would want to get a trampoline installed in their garden in the first place is beyond me.... The amount of accidents kids have on them us unreal.... Ask any A&E doc and they will advise you to get rid of asap....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Sorry if I de-rail the thread a bit? Our son wants to spend his Communion money on a trampoline for the back yard and has found one he likes. However, even though our back yard is quite big for house in an estate, it is fully cobble-locked front and back. We are renting the house and the landlord has this done to reduce maintainance of the property. Is it possible to secure a trampoline on this type of surface? I would love to put grass down on a portion of the back yard but a friend in construction has said we would be mad to do this, that the cobble lock would have cost a small fortune to put down!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

I doubt the landlord would let you take up the stone. Maybe rubber matting underneath?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

But do you know if the trampoline can be secured to this type of surface?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Why anyone would want to get a trampoline installed in their garden in the first place is beyond me.... The amount of accidents kids have on them us unreal.... Ask any A&E doc and they will advise you to get rid of asap....

The number of kids suffering from obesity and its related ilness, which will last their lifetimes, far outweighs the number of kids being injured on trampolines, most of the injuries heel in a few weeks anyway.. And before trampolines kids always found ways to injure themselves.. Personally I broke my arm, ribs, teeth, toes and had numerous sprains, 7 black eyes, and stitches.. our 10 & 4 year olds spend hours on the trampoline and have had one strained arm, she has had worse injuries playing camogie...
    A trampoline is brilliant fun for kids.. ours is about 7 years old now and it was the best spent money for the kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Trampolines nowadays come with a perimeter safety net, so there is no need to bury them. Mostly there is no need to secure them either, but in a gale they can flip over if sited in an exposed place. One person can just about drag a 12 foot trampoline across grass to mow underneath it. Two people can easily lift it. Only needs to be done every three mowings, because the grass grows slower underneath. They last for years and kids will keep on using them into teenage years and beyond, unlike most toys. The buried ones look better alright. They are basically the same thing, but without the net.

bbam wrote: »
    The number of kids suffering from obesity and its related ilness, which will last their lifetimes, far outweighs the number of kids being injured on trampolines, most of the injuries heel in a few weeks anyway.. And before trampolines kids always found ways to injure themselves.. Personally I broke my arm, ribs, teeth, toes and had numerous sprains, 7 black eyes, and stitches.. our 10 & 4 year olds spend hours on the trampoline and have had one strained arm, she has had worse injuries playing camogie...
    A trampoline is brilliant fun for kids.. ours is about 7 years old now and it was the best spent money for the kids.

Well it seems to me that you have been very lucky so... We have had 4 sprained wrists over the period of 2 years and was more than lucky on several instances where my kids fell badly and could have broken their neck....

I am all for kids having fun and god knows we all got up to worse when we were younger, but why put your loved one in a situation where they could severely harm or injure themselves....

Have you ever seen a trampoline where the sides have not been protected? Well it has happened to many times that young toddlers have walked under the trampoline whilst other children were playing on it..... and what do you think the result of that would be? Not a nice outcome for the toddler...

Why not give this a read http://www.nbcnews.com/health/trampolines-are-no-place-kids-docs-warn-1B6054327

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

bbam wrote: »

With all due respect, given that list of injuries you're the last person I would take advice from on safety issues :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

redser7 wrote: »
    With all due respect, given that list of injuries you're the last person I would take advice from on safety issues :)

Ya.
    And I was a safety team leader in a large multinational for 5 years. I learned the hard way ;)

I think parents see the soft springy mat and they think it’s safe, like water,” LaBotz said.

Lets not get started on water safety

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

Have you ever seen a trampoline where the sides have not been protected?

Only above-ground one I've seen with protection is my own. Just some chicken wire keeps out children, dogs etc.

Strange that others don't see the obvious danger. I point it out at every oppurtunity. :)

Only above-ground one I've seen with protection is my own. Just some chicken wire keeps out children, dogs etc.

Strange that others don't see the obvious danger. I point it out at every oppurtunity. :)
    That's great.... I also point it out when i can... I just hope more people realise sooner rather than later....

Well it has happened to many times that young toddlers have walked under the trampoline whilst other children were playing on it..... Not a nice outcome for the toddler...
    Toddlers should be closely supervised. They can also get injured walking into a game of football being played by older kids, or fall down steps, or into garden ponds. But that is not to say that all these things are "bad" in themselves. Common sense is required.

recedite wrote: »
    Common sense is required.

There is no point in arguing about this with me.... You have your opinion and I have mine.... If you are OK with the possibility of your children getting hurt whilst playing on or around a trampoline, then that's fine..... Just opening your eyes to possible dangers, that's all....

And you know what they say about common sense, right? that is is NOT common!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Jonathan222

Anyone know anyone who would, install a Berg Inground trampoline? Not necessarily provide it, we can source, just looking for someone to dig holes and put together etc..?

Check the noticeboard in your local supermarket for a landscape gardener or handyman.
    Its not rocket science, but hard graft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread - but we are planning on putting our trampoline into the ground - We live quiet high up and have already lost the trampoline in a gust of wind, we are constantly putting the net up and down to try and avoid this, so we are going to install it into the ground, but keep the net up also as our kids are still quite young. We have a family member who will dig the hole but what do we need to get to reinforce the sides before putting the trampoline in?

Advertisement