Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

To include or not to include - DEAP Calculation!

• 08-04-2011 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Looking for help & some advice, so if anyone can shed some light for on this for me - thanks in advance!

My query is regarding flueless gas fires, & whether I should include the provision for one within the DEAP calculation.

The house is a new build two-storey semi-d. In the living room there is a built out mock fire-place, there is no chimney or flue present. There is a gas supply in the fire place & two wall vents are in place on the external wall to comply with the building regulations for the ventilation of flueless gas fires.

Everything is in place to facilitate the installation of a flueless gas fire, so should I include it in the DEAP calculation.

If I do include it my EPC doesn’t comply, but what should I do or what is SEAI's stance on this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭colorc

This ope should be taken as a chimney not a flue and in addition to this the secondary heating system should be taken as an open fire and fuel as 'solid fuel'. When carrying out a BER Assessment you only include items that are present when carrying out the site visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭mjth2004

colorc - thanks for taking time to reply!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,915 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

colorc wrote: »
    This ope should be taken as a chimney not a flue and in addition to this the secondary heating system should be taken as an open fire and fuel as 'solid fuel'. When carrying out a BER Assessment you only include items that are present when carrying out the site visit.

im not sure where you are coming from with this?? chimney?? solid fuel??? :confused:
    sorry to correct you, but your as far out as the proverbial lighthouse on this one.

first, theres no chimney, and no flue. the DEAP input is simply to include the two vents in the passive vent area, and one flueless gas fire (in the ventilation section)

regarding the secondary heating, if the fireplace cannot emit heat (which it sounds like at the moment, there simply is no secondary heating system present, so select no for secondary heating.
    If the fire place can emit heating then the secondary heating fuel is selected as "mains gas" fuel and the source as "Gas fire, flueless " which has a 90% efficiency.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭mjth2004

@sydthebeat - cheers for the reply!

Got the answer I was after from SEAI yesterday – When "flue less gas fire" is entered under the ventilation tab, then this includes any vents required in that room for the flue less gas fire ventilation whether present or not.

So what I will do is exclude the flueless gas fire in the calculation but include the two wall vents under the ‘fans & vents’ tab.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,915 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

mjth2004 wrote: »
    @sydthebeat - cheers for the reply!

Got the answer I was after from SEAI yesterday – When "flue less gas fire" is entered under the ventilation tab, then this includes any vents required in that room for the flue less gas fire ventilation whether present or not.

So what I will do is exclude the flueless gas fire in the calculation but include the two wall vents under the ‘fans & vents’ tab.

thanks, didnt know that :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 No7

In your OP you didn't mention if the space for the flueless gas fire was provision for a secondary heating system or primary.

If there is a radiators system working in the room/house then there is no secondary heating to be entered in DEAP. Add the wall vents as advised by SEAI.

However if there is no heating system present you have to assume there is electric heating for the space.

What I would suggest is that you put in your DEAP notes and in the notes section of the NAS that at the time of assessment no gas fire was installed in the space

Advertisement