Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Alarm Decision

Options
  • 08-04-2011 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi

I have a prewired house (for pirs only). I want to put in an alarm system that has a built in gsm dialler, i have no landline (nor am i getting one), so it will be mobile sim. Reading the many excellent posts by the moderators, (you know who you are !) i am liking the sound of the Siemens Europlex Signet Range, for me it looks alot more aesthetically pleasing & professional than the "white goods" feel of the likes of the HKC.

I would like to access it over the web, but the location i would be installing the panel would not be assessable for a hardwired internet connection, ...... am i correct in saying that this option is out for me, i have wireless signal around the house but im guessing there is no wireless receiver option built in & it has to be hard wired ?

If i cannot have internet communication i would be looking at the signet 100 range i guess ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Just use a wireless bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 38 RocoH

Can you explain a little .............maybe a link to one suitable ? thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If you want network access with SigNET all you need is to put a socket beside the panel and use a mains network adapter.
    http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=496178

• Registered Users Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭altor

RocoH wrote: »

An ip mains adapter will solve this issue for you. It will save you having to get a cable from the router to the control panel.

So i plug a cat5 cable from panel into this, plug it into the wall and it will receive my wireless signal from my router ?

• Advertisement

So i plug a cat5 cable from panel into this, plug it into the wall and it will receive my wireless signal from my router ?

One at each end.

ah very good,

So then Signet 220 would get your approval ? I only have wiring for pirs, which is probably good enough ?, is there much trouble with door/window contacts (new house), & are these wireless as reliable as wired ?

ah very good,

So then Signet 220 would get your approval ? I only have wiring for pirs, which is probably good enough ?, is there much trouble with door/window contacts (new house), & are these wireless as reliable as wired ?

I would add wire free components to the alarm to protect windows and doors. With PIRs the intruder has to be in the premises before the system will activate. Wire free devices are as reliable as wired. Only difference is battery replacing every couple of years.

Agree, and the signet 220, i have a list of the Irish suppliers, i read previously they supply to trade only trade only, anyone know who would welcome non trade
    If so how much money roughly for the 220 and what comes with the package, im nearly done asking for your help !

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

ah very good,

If you call hold off a bit there is a version of the SigNET 100 on the way with a web server.

• Advertisement

Agree, and the signet 220, i have a list of the Irish suppliers, i read previously they supply to trade only trade only, anyone know who would welcome non trade
    If so how much money roughly for the 220 and what comes with the package, im nearly done asking for your help !

Your best off ringing a few of the suppliers on the list here to get prices. Most will say that they only deal with the trade but you put your money on the counter they will give you the product.

thanks, so why would it be better to hold off for 100 with web server, is the 220 alot more expensive/overkill for a house ?

thanks, so why would it be better to hold off for 100 with web server, is the 220 alot more expensive/overkill for a house ?

It will work out cheaper, the 220 is more aimed at the commercial market.

Google is your friend, here

The mains adapter I linked to above would be better than a wireless bridge anyway.
    More stable connection and easier for you to set up.
    They are simply plug and play.
    If your interested in a wireless option have a look here.
    http://www.belkin.com/support/kb/kb.asp?a=2814
    Boards is your friend! :rolleyes:

ya i think the belkin is a nice idea so thanks for the info, so i just plug one end in beside the panel connected with cat5, then connect another belkin into the back of my router, configure as you linked and then i should be able to take advantage of the webserver features ? .................i guess i dont really need to have it networked but everything else is these days so it would give me some extra features like turning on lights & just having more control.

Any word of when the Web server SigNET 100 will be out & the price it will be ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

ya i think the belkin is a nice idea so thanks for the info, so i just plug one end in beside the panel connected with cat5, then connect another belkin into the back of my router, configure as you linked and then i should be able to take advantage of the webserver features ? .................i guess i dont really need to have it networked but everything else is these days so it would give me some extra features like turning on lights & just having more control.

The panel will probably be out after the IFSEC which takes place from Monday 16 May 2011 to Thursday 19 May 2011.

Price wise you will have to wait till it gets released. It was meant to be out last year so we will have to wait and see, word on the grapevine is June.

Thanks for letting me know..............i may hold off for the summer & wait for it

Thanks for letting me know..............i may hold off for the summer & wait for it

Your welcome, it will work out cheaper so waiting will save you money if its released.

• Advertisement

Irish security companies and product launches have a habit of over running a lot.
    Putting a webserver on an alarm panel is not a big job so I am not sure what the hold up is.
    Putting it another way your 2011 June date could end up being 2012

Does anyone know what the cost of the SigNET 220 would be with 6 PIRS & bell ? I'm waiting on Precision Security to get back to me with a price, however they will only supply & install, so i would prefer to just get the goods as location wise they are a nice spin & i could get help of a friend.
    I need to know a price tho so i can compare and see if it would be outside my price bracket ...............are we talking over €700 ?? If so i may have to hold off for Signet 100 or else get the current SigNET 100 without web-server :confused:

Your better off ringing a few of the suppliers off the list here if you are going to self install. Getting the alarm installed professionally is always going to be more expensive. You will also need to purchase a keypad with this panel. About 600 Euro.

altor is that €600 for the 220 & pirs & keypad ?

altor is that €600 for the 220 & pirs & keypad ?

Yes, plus your battery, internal bell, external bell. These are prices from the suppliers list if you buy the equipment yourself.

Good man, thanks, now i just need to locate one that will sell !

Good man, thanks, now i just need to locate one that will sell !

R.E.W will sell it to you once you produce cash :D

Will look into it, thanks for all ...............

Will look into it, thanks for all ...............

Your welcome, always happy to help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement