Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thread

Options
  • 08-04-2011 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

my rifle is threaded for moddy but i have no idea what the thread is. Is there a way to find out what it is myself or do i have to go back to where i bought it

Tommy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

Did you buy the rifle new ?
    What make and calibre is it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

Unscrew the cap and get a measuring tape or ruler.
    Measure from the top of the thread to the bottom of the thread.
    It should be 1/2" or 5/8" are the most common.

IMAG0022.jpg

Now measure the length of the thread.

IMAG0026.jpg

Mine has 9 threads over 1/2" so over an inch it would be 18 threads so my thread is 5/8 x 18 Thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

As far as I know there are only 2 ( maybe 3) commonly used threads and a friendly fitter/turner will probably be able to tell just by looking at it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Vizzy wrote: »
    As far as I know there are only 2 ( maybe 3) commonly used threads and a friendly fitter/turner will probably be able to tell just by looking at it

Sako M18 AFAIK

5/8 and 1/2UNF are the most common in the Midlands.

Devs way is fairly simple to do, easier if you have a calipers, or easier still if you have a 5/8 1/2" and M18 Nuts to hand ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

i bought it second hand its a marlin 917vs and its a .17

• Advertisement

my other rifle is a 5/8 x 18 unf so if i screw the top off it and try screw it on the marlin and if it fits its the same.....

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    my other rifle is a 5/8 x 18 unf so if i screw the top off it and try screw it on the marlin and if it fits its the same.....

If it fits easily on it then yes the .17hmr will have the same thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Xplor.er

well lads, im having the same problem myself. i have a winchester model 70 and its threaded with the boss thing, does anyone know if its possible to put a moderator on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭beretta686s

thread gauge
    :D:D:D:D

its measures about half an inch width and half an length so does this make it a 5/8 x 18?

• Advertisement

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    its measures about half an inch width and half an length so does this make it a 5/8 x 18?

From my first picture what is the measurement there?

Okay from the first picture mine measures 5/8th of an inch.

IMAG0022.jpg

Yours could be 1/2 or 5/8 of an inch. (most common threads)

This will give you the first part of the thread type.

EXample: 5/8 x 18

Now move onto the second part.

IMAG0026.jpg

You can see from the second picture that I have 7 threads. They only spread over 6/16th of an inch. But the space I have left with no thread I could fit in another 2 threads. Which would mean I have 9 threads over half an inch.

Threads are always done over and inch so double that and I will get 18.

This gives the second part.

Example: 5/8 x 18

If you can post pictures like mine with the tape beside them we will be able sort you out very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

All rimfires are usually threaded the same so if you know anyone with a rimfire mod you could try it to see.

Advertisement