Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appeal housing decision

Options
  • 08-04-2011 10:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi,

I am just wondering what the appeals process is to appeal a decison made by a local authority housing assessment. As a lone parent, living with my parents, I was deemed to have enough room in my home house. I contribute to bills but my parents do not support me. I was hoping to get on the housing list in order to apply got the rent allowance scheme. My brother and sisters rooms are vacant during the week but occupied when they come home. I share a room with my 5 year old.

I would like to be given a chance to apply for the rent allowance. I know what peoples perceptions are of lone parents. But I have been working very hard to build a career for myself. I am nearing the end of my 2 years masters, after 4 tough years as an undergrad. I am not trying to do anyone, even the government out of money but there are entitlements out there and surely those that need them should be given a fair chance to apply. I am well aware that there are people worse off than me, but as I did not qualify for either back to education allowance or any sort of maintenance grant, I am struggling like everyone else.

Sorry for the rant, my question was a short one but as always I tend to stray from the point!

Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

You could ask your parents to write a letter for the local autorities to say they want you out of their house in 'X' amount of time, after that you will be homeless, it might make your chances a bit better if it looks like an emergancy case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

you also need to be renting privately for 6mths before you are eligible for rent allowance regardless of what your circumstances are

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/rent_supplement.html

or move out and become homeless but realistically would you really put you and your child through that when you dont have to......

best bet is to get your deposit and rent together for six months then move out and once your six mths renting is up apply for RA it will take time but for now you are in a safe secure home

ask yourself can you afford to give your child the same standard if you where to move out also council housing lists are long and you can be on them years before you are offered anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

edellc wrote: »
    you also need to be renting privately for 6mths before you are eligible for rent allowance regardless of what your circumstances are

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/rent_supplement.html

or move out and become homeless but realistically would you really put you and your child through that when you dont have to......

best bet is to get your deposit and rent together for six months then move out and once your six mths renting is up apply for RA it will take time but for now you are in a safe secure home

ask yourself can you afford to give your child the same standard if you where to move out also council housing lists are long and you can be on them years before you are offered anything

You need to be renting privately for six months OR have been assessed as having a need for housing. If you don't have the six months private renting, you NEED the assessment, but if you have the six months private renting you don't need the assessment straight away, but they will look for it at rent review time, or at least proof that you have applied to be assessed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

I stand CORRECTED there January :D

my sister was assessed and they base it not on how many bedrooms in the house but on the living area down stairs
    she also has a little boy and its unacceptable for a boy to be sleeping in a single bed with his mammy past a certain age
    since op has a little girl i presume they find sharing a room with mammy acceptable and as op siblings are not there during the week the living space would be large enough for them

Advertisement