Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Nightlife

Options
  • 08-04-2011 10:28pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46

Hi there, planning a trip to Galway on the 28th which is a Thursday and does people have any recommendations on the best places we can go ie pubs/nightclubs? Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Late(ish) Bars FTW, Roisin Dubh/Massimo/Bier Haus

Bars: Front door/Dail/Buskers/skeff. Clubs: Halo.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭westerlywonder

This probably depends on what age group you fall into. Either way a great option is to start on Mainguard st (taffee's, ti coli, kings head, that corner) and head towards the spanish arch, in the latin quarter every second doorway is a pub, and nearly all of them are worth a look in. See how many of them you can fit in, in a couple of hours and you'll have a cracking night!
    Thursday is the big student night in Galway so beware of madness, lol.
    Clubs, Cps will be a younger student crowd, Karma will be a slightly older student crowd, Halo, will be a maturing student crowd/young professional with fri off crowd, Monroes live, great little venue above monroes will probably depend on what's happening up there on the night, The Rosin, good spot if you want to get away from rhiana and all of that...
    Either way you will not be stood there wondering where to go... Galway is fantastically small and the next lively pub is right next door.
    Most of the clubs on thursdays will be giving out free/discounted passes to the clubs on mainguard st. If you head to one and dont like it, head to another!

Welcome to galway!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 louie12ie

Thanks everybody. Just to say as well our group is ranging from 19-21 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭westerlywonder

Ah you will fit in perfectly with the thursday night crowd so, might be best to stay clear of halo if some of the group are under 21. If you are looking for mainguard st, it will be more locally known as 'shop st'
    Enjoy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

If your looking for a nightclub CP's on a Thursday night have 3 different DJ's playing. Commercial in the main room, Indie rock in another room and hip hop and RnB upstairs in the smoking area. Just for the different tastes in music alone I prefer it on a Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Bars: Front door/Dail/Buskers/skeff. Clubs: Halo.

Stay away from all of the above besides the Dail and the Skeff.

The Front Door is a nice pub but on the weekend unless you feel like being a sardine for a few hours while waiting an age to get served at the bar then I'd avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

If you are looking for mainguard st, it will be more locally known as 'shop st'
    Enjoy

Actually, of those you mentioned, I believe Tigh Cóilí is the only one on Mainguard St. Mappy here

Shop St runs into High St (Kings Head etc, I think Taffes is on the 'border' with Shop St) Then High Street continues on until Cross St crossroads (you'll pass Front Door, Bunch of Grapes here, left onto Cross St for Dáil). Then Quay St (Neachtains, Kings Head).
    A lot of people say 'Shop St' when they mean something else, but they're all close by each other so easy enough to find

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Emma12345

Lets just say galway is an amazing place to go out in with any age group. I'm a student there and I love it. Halo is over 23s now so your probably best to avoid that club. King's head, skeff and front door are all good bars. Fibber Magees is can be good craic if you want to give that a shot its just on eyre square. I've gotten tired of karma now but having said that it is a good club. CPs is the place I've been heading to lately but as mentioned earlier if you dont like one club head to another !! It's not like you'd run out of places to go in galway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭wicorthered

If you want to fit in. Get a bottle of Buckie and head to the Spanish Arch! Then hit CPs after that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Claregalway123

Cps nightclub on a thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

I'm from dublin and me and some mates went to Galway for rag week. We ended up going to central park.

It was lethal.

Nice club, the dance floor is Pretty big lovely girls even though I ended up punching one while doing the fistpump. Lol.

Enjoy your trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭johnn

I'm from dublin and me and some mates went to Galway for rag week. We ended up going to central park.

It was lethal.

Nice club, the dance floor is Pretty big lovely girls even though I ended up punching one while doing the fistpump. Lol.

Enjoy your trip.

where is this central park place? going out tonight in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Where is good for going on the pull tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

The Spanish Arch Hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭mitsuko045

johnn wrote: »
    Where is good for going on the pull tonight?

That would be CPs. They're expecting it to be busy there tonight.

mitsuko045 wrote: »
    That would be CPs. They're expecting it to be busy there tonight.

is that near Eyre square or shop st?

Went to the front bar on monday, was decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

is that near Eyre square or shop st?
    biko wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭mitsuko045

From Eyre Square walk down shop street.

You'll come to a corss roads at the AIB, go down the road between AIB and the shoe shop (Abbeygate Street)

Doors open at 11 but the place probably won't fill til about 12.30.

Be nice to the staff, they've been working hard :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭srfc19

We ended up going to central park.

It was lethal.

Nice club, the dance floor is Pretty, big lovely girls even though I ended up punching one while doing the fistpump. Lol.

Use commas.

It was lethal.

Enjoy your trip.

Big girls aren't beautiful :cool:

Went to Roisin Dubh followed by the Front Door, then CPs.

Wish I had of stayed in the Roisin prob more likely to get chatting to women there I'd say the other two places were just nuts and infested with Guidos it seems lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Big girls aren't beautiful :cool:

The day I went to Galway, it was rag week so they were girls from every were Dublin Kildare etc.

tbh I don't mind girls. Lol.

Advertisement