Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is going on with my broadband

• 08-04-2011 11:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,564 ✭✭✭✭

I got this problem for the last week in a bit now, I had eircom over and they fixed some stuff but didnt find any line errors but they still did a few stuff and my broadband is slighly faster now but my main frustration hasnt been fixed

Most nights (starting last week) my broadband takes a fit and the ping is brutal and unplayable

I just dont know whats up with it

here is my ping test
    38464885.png

Speed test

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1243143256.png

As you can see its grand but it just takes a fit, 15-20mins later is grand, a tad high but pretty playable

wtf is up :(

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,448 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Could be noise, we'll need to see line stats to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,564 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Spear wrote: »
    Could be noise, we'll need to see line stats to know.

Below is when I got my broadband

eircom broadband:
    Connected
    DSL Mode:
    ADSL_G.dmt
    Speed:
    3072 kbps /384 kbps
    Line Attenuation (Down/Up):
    11 dB /5 dB
    DSL Noise Margin:
    28 dB /15 dB

This is what its now

X1RpP.png

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,448 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Headshot wrote: »
    Below is when I got my broadband

eircom broadband:
    Connected
    DSL Mode:
    ADSL_G.dmt
    Speed:
    3072 kbps /384 kbps
    Line Attenuation (Down/Up):
    11 dB /5 dB
    DSL Noise Margin:
    28 dB /15 dB

This is what its now

How close to the exchange are you? Certainly from the look of those stats your line is excellent and capable of much higher speeds. Are you using wireless?

How close to the exchange are you? Certainly from the look of those stats your line is excellent and capable of much higher speeds. Are you using wireless?

:)

*looks out the window and waves at exchange" :D

Spear dont get me started on higher speeds http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=69222345

it really gets on my tits :(

:)

*looks out the window and waves at exchange" :D

Spear dont get me started on higher speeds http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=69222345

it really gets on my tits :(

That's an obscene waste of an excellent line, par for the course for Eircom.

It does mean I can't really see any fault with your local connection. The fact that the problem exists during prime usage hours does suggest that your exchange is congested to a high degree. That may be a contributing factor in Eircom not selling more than 3 meg packages.

• Advertisement

That's an obscene waste of an excellent, par for the course for Eircom.

It does mean I can't really see any fault with your local connection. The fact that the problem exists during prime usage hours does suggest that your exchange is congested to a high degree. That may be a contributing factor in Eircom not selling more than 3 meg packages.

sorry for the noob question but would it be anything to do with the call of duty black ops game or the ethernet connection in my computer ?

sorry for the noob question but would it be anything to do with the call of duty black ops game or the ethernet connection in my computer ?

Not impossible, but I doubt it.

Not impossible, but I doubt it.

Thanks alot for the help anyway spear, its a strange problem

I usually play on 65-80 ping in black ops even thou my ping is lower than that but its probably to do with the servers or somthing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,449 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

same here down in Limerick..it's been **** between the hours of 9-11pm ..
    god i'm so sick of eircom..the sooner those tossers are out of business the better for the country..
    If the government had any brains/balls they would buy back the lines and lease them out..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Congestion in the exchange? I believe that's why eircom limited the speed for headshot's connection. A logic of "better a more reliable 3 mbps for people than an unreliable 7 mbps"

Seems even limiting it to 3 wasn't very worthwhile. I suggest you nag eircom on their forum and write a complaint to them and get others in the area to do the same. Ask for higher capacity in the exchange. Otherwise you should see if there's a wireless provider in the area who will serve you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    same here down in Limerick..it's been **** between the hours of 9-11pm ..
    god i'm so sick of eircom..the sooner those tossers are out of business the better for the country..
    If the government had any brains/balls they would buy back the lines and lease them out..

Have you any perspective whatsoever? Wishing any company to go out of business is quite shocking but particularly in the current climate it is mind boggling:mad:

You do realise that the Country is bankrupt and will be for a considerable time to come? So buying back Eircom's lines so that you can get faster bb speeds is not high on the Government's priority list I would imagine.

Thanks alot for the help anyway spear, its a strange problem

I usually play on 65-80 ping in black ops even thou my ping is lower than that but its probably to do with the servers or somthing

What's your internal wiring like? Have you any idea what Eircom did when they came out?

dub45 wrote: »
    What's your internal wiring like? Have you any idea what Eircom did when they came out?

I dont have a clue of what the internal wiring is like, is there away to find out?

What eircom did was install a new box with an internal filter and did a small job on the main phone point which by the way isnt what I use to connect to the internet, im not sure does that make a big difference or not

I dont have a clue of what the internal wiring is like, is there away to find out?

What eircom did was install a new box with an internal filter and did a small job on the main phone point which by the way isnt what I use to connect to the internet, im not sure does that make a big difference or not

What I mean is is it old, are there any extensions in other rooms etc etc?. the more internal wiring there is the more opportunities for complications.

What I mean is is it old, are there any extensions in other rooms etc etc?. the more internal wiring there is the more opportunities for complications.

20yrs

when you mean extentions, I presume you mean phone sockets and if so 3 sockets

btw my broadband has been a pretty poor today, losing connections numerous times but the modems lights remain the same

I agree with To_be_confirmed it has to be congestion trouble

I was told by the engineer that my broadband is coming from limerick via Hollyford mast

Edit

this is my best test to date

1244377948.png

never got anything like that on speed test before

If there is a special socket installed with a filter built in, the extensions become irrelevant as they are isolated from the DSL socket. But it must be installed at the first main socket in the house otherwise not all extensions will be filtered by the built-in filter.

When you say "losing connections", do you mean that games etc. are losing connection or is it that the wifi connection is dropping or is it something like all websites become inaccessible for a minute or so?

Have you consulted the log in the modem to see what's happening when you lose connection?

If there is a special socket installed with a filter built in, the extensions become irrelevant as they are isolated from the DSL socket. But it must be installed at the first main socket in the house otherwise not all extensions will be filtered by the built-in filter.

When you say "losing connections", do you mean that games etc. are losing connection or is it that the wifi connection is dropping or is it something like all websites become inaccessible for a minute or so?

Have you consulted the log in the modem to see what's happening when you lose connection?

My modem isnt installed at the main socket

Yes its been grand today but yesterday it was pretty bad with getting no connection in my computer

I have had a look at the log there and it says nothing about yesterday unfortunately

Maybe its my computer (even thou its new) that's causing the trouble or that im not using the main socket

My modem isnt installed at the main socket

Yes its been grand today but yesterday it was pretty bad with getting no connection in my computer

I have had a look at the log there and it says nothing about yesterday unfortunately

Maybe its my computer (even thou its new) that's causing the trouble or that im not using the main socket

The standard advice for dsl has always been to use the main connection.

What else is connected at the other extensions and if anything is connected are you using dsl filters?

Can you try connecting at the main connection with everything else disconnected?

The standard advice for dsl has always been to use the main connection.

What else is connected at the other extensions and if anything is connected are you using dsl filters?

Can you try connecting at the main connection with everything else disconnected?

ah you see there's where I get in trouble

The main socket wiring is badly done and what I mean is there's not alot of spare wire to play with imo and they there's no socket there. its just a closed of socket if you get my drift

would there be a big difference between main socket and another socket?

edit

My ping is brutal right now and unplayable, ****ing sickening

see this is what Im talking about

38631580.png

Notice the packet loss which will result in stuttering in games and that's what im getting :(

• Advertisement

sorry for the bump I really need some advice from the people who know about broadband

I was talking to eircom and they have told me

"Hi Headshot
    have been advised we can alter your interleaving to low but would have to alter speed from 3Mb To 2Mb. This will give you faster pings which may help with online gaming.???"

is that crap from eircom ?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭flipsat

ah you see there's where I get in trouble

The main socket wiring is badly done and what I mean is there's not alot of spare wire to play with imo and they there's no socket there. its just a closed of socket if you get my drift

would there be a big difference between main socket and another socket?

edit

My ping is brutal right now and unplayable, ****ing sickening

As I have the same problem as head shot I too would like to know if there is a big difference between main socket and another socket??

What I call the main socket is the first socket that the outside line is connected to. All extensions come from there in one form or another. So for broadband, if the extensions are disconnected then you have a clean "straight line" for the signal to go from modem to exchange. Extension leads and improperly installed sockets can cause signal "diversions" and echoes of the wanted signal which can mess up signal margins. Also, the more wires that are connected, the more ways that electrical noise can enter the phone line.

TBC can you advice me on my above problem please?

Hi, I only noticed your post now for some reason! Tell them that your line is perfect and anything about increasing interleaving is complete nonsense. Go back to them and inform them of how good the signal margin of the line is, and then ask them again why they would see a need for a change in interleaving. While you're at it, ask them when eircom are going to increase the speeds for users on that exchange;)

And you can also ask eircom all this via the talk to: eircom forum

Hi, I only noticed your post now for some reason! Tell them that your line is perfect and anything about increasing interleaving is complete nonsense. Go back to them and inform them of how good the signal margin of the line is, and then ask them again why they would see a need for a change in interleaving. While you're at it, ask them when eircom are going to increase the speeds for users on that exchange;)

And you can also ask eircom all this via the talk to: eircom forum

Thanks TBC

Iv done it here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71706429#post71706429

btw this interleaving from what iv read increased lag

wtf are eircom thinking :confused:

Just to clarify, interleaving is used to offer increased stability on DSL connections. When a line is already very stable, this is not necessary. Interleaving directly increased ping times, the maximum interleaving used for Eircom's RADSL leads to ping times of about 55ms to Irish servers.

what a crock of **** eircom are

as if there's anything wrong with my line

It's there fault for not upgrading the exchange :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

what a crock of **** eircom are

as if there's anything wrong with my line

It's there fault for not upgrading the exchange :mad:

Y'might still want to get that MDP fixed anyway. Even if its not the cause of this particular issue, either way it could potentially cause problems in the future.

• Advertisement

Hey roast I'm not sure what MDP means but i presume the main socket? And if so would eircom fix it?

Advertisement