Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Helical Gears? What to know?

• 09-04-2011 12:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

Ok, I've heard of helical gears being quiter and longer lasting than regular spur gears. But I would like to know how much better they really are.
    I've seen that they must be shimmed properly too, more importantly than shimming is for regular spur gears from what little I've read.
    Also, if someone could give me a price estimate for a set of helical gears for a version 2/3 gearbox would really help, as well as a good place to buy :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

Stick with spur gears. The "helical am best" thing was started by people who ran out of things to say made their gearbox exclusive and "better than yours".
    From a torque/speed standpoint, you'll find no benefit to helical over spur. They're not going fast enough to warrant such consideration, and a spur gear certainly isn't under anything remotely close to max torque load under a 1J spring.

As for running quieter, that's true, they do run quieter. However, the difference between the sound of a spur gear versus a helical under operation wouldn't be noticeable until you went for gears ten times the size. If you want to spend some money on an upgrade to quieten your AEG, invest in a silent piston head, a Madbull suppressor and, most importantly, a high speed motor.
    The motor won't be quieter, but it'll turn over so fast that you won't even notice it on semi. That's the secret to a quiet AEG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭CpcRc

Thanks.
    The project in question is a thought down the line at the moment. But I want it to be as quiet as possible, if that means paying a little more for certain parts I can live with that. All the small benefits all add up in the end.
    The plan is to produce an AEG with performance that makes me want to say "Wow". I'm a far bit away from that, but the dream is enough for me to chase at the moment :o
    If helical gears aren't the best then I won't get them. But if they, along with various other parts, can give me the performance I'm looking for then I'll get them.
    As for bragging about something being "exclusive", I think that the performance, its end product, is all that should do the talking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

It should be, but geardos care more about the part than the product. The longer the list of special bits, the better. They also happen to be the ones who'll scream that you that you need special this and certain that or your gun will be the airsoft equivalent to a pile of floating elephant dung with a straw hat in the mid-Pacific during a typhoon.

Spur gears are fine. If anything, they're the best option in 99.99% of cases. Stick with those.
    If it's quiet running you want, install a MOSFET with active breaking, an 11.1V LiPo and a good quality high speed motor. The loudest part of an AEG is actually the motor, and you can do virtually nothing to make it quieter, but if you upgrade the system to a point where spool up time and operating time is at a minimum (using the above), you'll limit how much sound is produced by quantity rather than volume. This is devastatingly effective if you use semi-auto mainly.

Add a good quality piston with a silent piston head, a hop unit with a good air-seal and a good Madbull suppressor like the Gemtech Halo and you'll take care of most of the high end of the piston noise too (you'll never remove the low end, but it's the high end that's easiest to hear at any distance).
    Only Madbull suppressors actually function like real world ones. Don't expect miracles, but they will make a serious difference, especially with those other additions.

There's not much else you can do to kill the sound of an AEG. Some bodywork has enough room around the gearbox to put in sound dampening material, but it doesn't have much of an effect. Your main sound leaks are the muzzle, magwell, breach cover and motor plate. Follow the above, however, and you'll be as close as you can get to a quiet rifle.
    Off the bat, the motor and suppressor are the two easiest and quickest modifications that will make significant difference. Try those first and see hoe far you want to go from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

What to know? Don't use them with bearing bushings. Helicals have a lateral force thanks to the angle of the teeth, they'll wear out bearing bushings in no time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭CpcRc

Treadhead wrote: »
    What to know? Don't use them with bearing bushings. Helicals have a lateral force thanks to the angle of the teeth, they'll wear out bearing bushings in no time.

Thanks, I've a set of element bearing bushings just laying around at home and didn't know what to use them on. So I won't use them on that project, possibly on a Dboys scar, if I get my hands on one :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement