Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

worried about my dogs (new)aggression...

• 09-04-2011 12:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Hi all!
    I'm new to this forum, its just i wanted to ask a question about my Dog. He is a 13yr old Jack Russel, he is moderately trained and is quite obedient, but typical to his breed he is mischievous and STILL full of beans!
    He is an outdoor dog, always has been, so he sleeps outside, but as he's gotten older i have started to bring him into the house more and more, yet he still sleeps outside. This system has been running fine, sure he sulks a bit when he's put to bed, but nothing more than a little food bribery can't fix!

My problem is, i arrived home today to be told that my dad had tried to put the dog out to bed last night, to be met with growls and snarles. He said he even put a trail of treats in front of him, but he wouldn't budge. My mam even said she could hear the snarling and growling from her bedroom... My dad has now said that the dog is no longer trusted and he doesn't want him in the house unless i'm there to put him out.

I'm just wondering if maybe anyone can tell me what could cause such a sudden aggressive reaction? He has never bitten, he doesn't even lick, he keeps his mouth shut...i dunno..i'm really worried about him now...

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

first thing i would do is bring him for vet to make sure there is no medical problem.
    if everything is clear id say the poor lad was prob very comfy asleep where he was and didnt want to be disturbed. Can i ask why he has to sleep out. poor old man prob loves been inside nice and comfy. at his age he deserves the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Tanya1988

If this behaviour came out of nowhere take a visit to the vet's it maybe a medical condition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭trio

I'd bring him to the vet too, for a check up - just in case he has any aches and pains which may be making him crotchety. At his age, it's possible.

But also I'd half think it's just his age. He's 13, which is elderly for a dog. He may have a good bit of energy still thank God, but that doesn't mean he isn't getting a bit less tolerant in his old age.

It also sounds to me like he's just sick of being put outside when he's all warm and cosy and has frankly, had enough! You say he's been sulking about it for a while - well he's finally decided to put his foot down!

At 13, I'd let him stay indoors at night. What harm can it do? If you're worried about accidents, put down some wee pads.

I'm sure your Dad was horrified by the growling, but after 13 years of "good service" - never even a growl out of him, can't he be forgiven this lapse of manners?

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭RICARDO1982

I agree with the above posters. I had 2 Jack Russells until they were 15 and as they got older, They could have the odd day where they were not on form. they never bit anyone but could be a bit narky, we put this down to age and just went a bit easier on them. They slept under the kitchen table in a basket they were happy enough. You cannot blame him wanting to stay inside in comfort:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 CabaretKitten

Thank you for you replies, and i must say i'm inclined to agree, of course he wants to stay inside, my poor lil chap deserves the best, its just i live at home, and my father is of the notion that dogs love the outdoors, and jacks in particular would rather be outside, its difficult for me to try and sway the parents into letting him even stay in the house...He sheds a lot, and i dunno, its just seems to me that they are able to agree with some aspects of owning a dog but not others i.e. sleeping indoors etc

He has been to the vet and other than a cold, and a few achy joints he is in top health (thank god!!)

I think i may have to be a bit firmer in my attempts to move him permanently into the house (which has been a HUGE struggle) i have never liked the fact that he sleeps outside, i miss having him around...its just this family of mine don't seem to share my views ya know...ugh its really upsetting..he's such a good boy like..i feel like i have almost no control over his environment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭bowsie010

Rubbing him with a marigold glove will help with the shedding.

Advertisement