Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom zyxel P-660HW-T1 v3 connection loss

Options
  • 09-04-2011 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Ok i recently moved to this isp and must say im disgusted with the sh!t they give ya, i have this crap zyxel router cant play xbox live without the connection dropping off on me within every hour or so, honestly one of the most expensive isp servers yet the most unreliable typical irish huh- should just have a big banner up over our country saying "yes this is my back passage ram it up there!!!!". Us irish peeps seems to take everything lying down!

Dont even see the point of going in to great detail with my problem as i can see from looking into it many other users of this sh!t have the same problem. But basically it seems to be an issue based on the wireless operation of the router, seems ok when i have the xbox hardwired to the router via ethernet. Suppose nobodys got any ideas. Is it possible to buy a new router and use away with eircom bb??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Yes its possible to get your own router to use you will have to enter all the eircom bb settings manually if you get one.but once its set up it would be alot better than the zyxel them routers are seriously crap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

sitja wrote: »
    Ok i recently moved to this isp and must say im disgusted with the sh!t they give ya, i have this crap zyxel router cant play xbox live without the connection dropping off on me within every hour or so, honestly one of the most expensive isp servers yet the most unreliable typical irish huh- should just have a big banner up over our country saying "yes this is my back passage ram it up there!!!!". Us irish peeps seems to take everything lying down!

Dont even see the point of going in to great detail with my problem as i can see from looking into it many other users of this sh!t have the same problem. But basically it seems to be an issue based on the wireless operation of the router, seems ok when i have the xbox hardwired to the router via ethernet. Suppose nobodys got any ideas. Is it possible to buy a new router and use away with eircom bb??

Hi sitja
    sorry to hear you are having problems with connection.Yes it is possible to use third party modems but if you would like me to test your connection just PM me your tel. no. and I may be able to help here.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dinosbar

I'm having these too, using the Zyxel 660 v3 modem wirelessly. Its dropping connection every 10/15 mins. Have tried turning off the laptop to simplify the network. I spoke to Microsoft and they talked about the ISP giving support on Port Forwarding, other than turning the laptop on I wouldn't have the confidence to go changing things I dont understand. Is there a tutorial or instruction set on how to do this. Losing connection seems to be a fairly common problem judging by the number of message board entries I've seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

dinosbar wrote: »
    I'm having these too, using the Zyxel 660 v3 modem wirelessly. Its dropping connection every 10/15 mins. Have tried turning off the laptop to simplify the network. I spoke to Microsoft and they talked about the ISP giving support on Port Forwarding, other than turning the laptop on I wouldn't have the confidence to go changing things I dont understand. Is there a tutorial or instruction set on how to do this. Losing connection seems to be a fairly common problem judging by the number of message board entries I've seen.

Hi dinosbar,

Here is a helpful checklist you can try,

Configure Your Modem For Online Gaming - http://bit.ly/auwOq2 A Step by Step Guide -Assistant - Video from Eircom.net Technical Support.

Can you check that and get back to me.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dinosbar

Mark,

Thanks for the reply but the online tutorial is for a netopia modem and it doesn't mention the need for entering the password. I found that on a seperate forum and changed the firewall to low but still no joy. It seems pretty odd that one of the countries largest ISP's doesnt' have an easy step by step guide to set up the modem to work with one of the most popular gaming consoles. This isn't some obscure set up I'm trying to do, its connecting an xbox to an eircom modem. How hard does it have to be ?

Rgds

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

dinosbar wrote: »
    Mark,

Thanks for the reply but the online tutorial is for a netopia modem and it doesn't mention the need for entering the password. I found that on a seperate forum and changed the firewall to low but still no joy. It seems pretty odd that one of the countries largest ISP's doesnt' have an easy step by step guide to set up the modem to work with one of the most popular gaming consoles. This isn't some obscure set up I'm trying to do, its connecting an xbox to an eircom modem. How hard does it have to be ?

Rgds

Hi dinosbar,

Thanks again for contacting eircom on Boards.

If you need to configure your firewall, using the Zyxel router, the following URL may be helpful. The Netopia Modem is roughly the same and lowering the firewall is readily easy to do on both modem types.

http://bit.ly/ip2OlL - Set up Zyxel Modem

Just open your browser on : http://192/168.1.254.
    If asked to log in to the modem type : 'broadband1'
    Look on the menu list and you'll navigate to the 'firewall' ;
    and simply set this to low.

Unfortunately, it's not a case that eircom don't have website dedicated to XBox, we do. However, we are obliged to only support eircom products :

broadbandsupport.eircom.net/xbox.htm - XBox Setup with eircom

That said, we don't have a licence, nor do we have the necessary data information sources to support third party Games Vendors.

Eircom Technical Support have advised the ONLY thing that is required for ALL 3rd party Games' Console Setup, is simply lower the firewall on the router. This has the effect of opening the necessary ports for these 3rd party vendors and their online games.

If you are having any problems with your Game Console after lowering the firewall on the router, then you must contact your Games Console Manufacturer /Vendor Support.

We've included XBox's Support Site and contact phone number on our dedicated XBox website above.

Let me know if you have any problems lowering your firewall on your eircom modem. We can generally do this remotely from here if you're unable to complete this yourself.

All the best,
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭sitja

ok i have managed to acquire a different eircom router (a netopia 3347) to my understanding this is a very old router, YET this picks wireless throughout the house no problem, so either zyxel are crap or i was unlucky to recieve a faulty one?? What i would like to know now is...... is the netopia router i am now using capable of accepting the speeds i am paying for??? I am on 8mb and to my knowledge being upgraded to 15mb??

ok i have managed to acquire a different eircom router (a netopia 3347) to my understanding this is a very old router, YET this picks wireless throughout the house no problem, so either zyxel are crap or i was unlucky to recieve a faulty one?? What i would like to know now is...... is the netopia router i am now using capable of accepting the speeds i am paying for??? I am on 8mb and to my knowledge being upgraded to 15mb??

Hi sitja,

Thanks for contacting eircom on Boards.

There should be no problem using the netopia 3347. You may want to ensure the firmware is up to date. Currently, the latest FW version is 7.8.

As you say it is probably an older momed. Most electrical equipment should be really watched after 5 years. You are more than welcome to use your own modem /router. Just ensure you use the correct eircom settings, advised below :

Please let me know if I can help further.
    Kind regards,
    Ant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭OMG Its EoinD

If you are playing on wireless. Add "Contra EoinD" on xbox live and I will help you through it ok ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭OMG Its EoinD

Just at the Eircom lads. One issue with using WPA-PSK encryption is that it times out every hour or so and disconnects the user offline from Xbox , whereas a PC wouldn't notice this.

What I reccommend is disabling the encryption and hiding the broadcast of your SSID.

But change the SSID so noone can auto connect to it.

Or change your wireless password to WEP which can be cracked though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

I recently recieved this router throught the post

. Set it up today but every hour or so it diconnects/reconnects. This is fine if I'm surfing the interweb, but I use my laptop for poker and every time it disconnects, it can cost me a few quid.

I'm gonna try to turn off the firewall and see if that helps.....

EDIT: Nope - didn't work - still disconnecting/reconnecting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭neutron

newbie2 wrote: »

. Set it up today but every hour or so it diconnects/reconnects. This is fine if I'm surfing the interweb, but I use my laptop for poker and every time it disconnects, it can cost me a few quid.

Hi Newbie,

See my post here (I feel your pain!)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056297253

Hi newbie2,

Thanks for contacting us on Boards.ie

Can you PM your phone number and I can check this for you.

Kind regards,
    Ant

PM sent.

Today I've changed the DHCP lease time from 3600 seconds (1 hour) to 84000 seconds (24 hours). I have't had time to test it yet though.

PM sent.

Today I've changed the DHCP lease time from 3600 seconds (1 hour) to 84000 seconds (24 hours). I have't had time to test it yet though.

Thanks newbie2, received PM.

Kind regards,
    Ant

FWIW - changing the DHCP lease time from 3600 seconds (1 hour) to 84000 seconds (24 hours) seems to have somewhat sorted this problem for me. |It only becomes noticable when I have a the ipoker client open. When the router disconnects the ipoker client disconnects - taking about 30 seconds to reconnect/login.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Gerb68

Where's the settings for DHCP lease time.

Is it Idle Timeout?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭andrew241983

my zyxel modem keeps dropping connection every couple of hours and has been doing it since i got it.. i have 25mb broadband..
    i have my older netopia one can i use this and is it capable of coping with the 25mb cheers

my zyxel modem keeps dropping connection every couple of hours and has been doing it since i got it.. i have 25mb broadband..
    i have my older netopia one can i use this and is it capable of coping with the 25mb cheers
    Hi Andrew241983
    if you wish I can have the zyxel tested for you, or if you connect to ethernet into main phone socket and call 1890260260, they will be able to ascertain if modem faulty. If you have no issue with the older netopia, it would seem as you suggest that moden is faulty.
    Tony

and how would i go about getting u to text my modem??
    and if it is faulty would my old netopia modem (silver) one work???

• Advertisement

If you have connected by ethernet and into main phone socket I would be happy to run some tests andrew241983. PM me tel. no.
    Yes your old one should work fine also.
    Tony

If you have connected by ethernet and into main phone socket I would be happy to run some tests andrew241983. PM me tel. no.
    Tony

Ye my router is connected directly to the main phone socket..... Do I just pm u my home no?

Tony

Yes my router is connected directly to the main phone socket...
    Do I just pm u my phone no?

Yes my router is connected directly to the main phone socket...
    Do I just pm u my phone no?

Yes andrew241983, PM me and can test now.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Hi
    I am also having bad problems with my zxyel, i am on my third one in as months and now this one has started to act up as I need to reset it every couple of hours,out of the last 12 weeks I would say I had about 2 weeks of average BB.:mad:
    Every time i ring the only solution i am given is to get a new router,which takes a few days to get to me and then there is no guarantee that the zxyel will work so, i could be with out BB for yet another week.
    Do eircom only use the zxyel or can you send me a different make because at this stage i don't want another zxyel router.If eircom cant give me the services that i am paying for why should i stay with them?

harr wrote: »
    Hi
    I am also having bad problems with my zxyel, i am on my third one in as months and now this one has started to act up as I need to reset it every couple of hours,out of the last 12 weeks I would say I had about 2 weeks of average BB.:mad:
    Every time i ring the only solution i am given is to get a new router,which takes a few days to get to me and then there is no guarantee that the zxyel will work so, i could be with out BB for yet another week.
    Do eircom only use the zxyel or can you send me a different make because at this stage i don't want another zxyel router.If eircom cant give me the services that i am paying for why should i stay with them?

Hi harr
    I can understand your desire for a different router given that 3 have proven faulty, can you PM me your tel number and I can look into this matter for you. Three in a row may indicate that there is something else the problem here??? I can check previous cases and escalate this for you.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭BaguMka

Hi harr
    I can understand your desire for a different router given that 3 have proven faulty, can you PM me your tel number and I can look into this matter for you. Three in a row may indicate that there is something else the problem here??? I can check previous cases and escalate this for you.
    Tony

I have the same problem. all lights are constantly on but connection drops every hour so i have to reset the router every time..that's disaster :(
    My router is connected directly to the main phone socket and using Ethernet wire

BaguMka wrote: »
    I have the same problem. all lights are constantly on but connection drops every hour so i have to reset the router every time..that's disaster :(
    My router is connected directly to the main phone socket and using Ethernet wire

Hi BaguMka
    I have run tests again for you on this issue and again and again find no problem. Did you manage to go through the guide list I PM'd? If you continue to have drops despite near perfect connection, line and sync readings and you are connected via ethernet and into main phone socket I would advise you give tech support a call on 1890260260and have them troubleshoot and test this with you. They will be able to determine if modem issue and can have a replacement sent to you.
    Post me here if this does not resolve issue.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭BaguMka

Hi BaguMka
    I have run tests again for you on this issue and again and again find no problem. Did you manage to go through the guide list I PM'd? If you continue to have drops despite near perfect connection, line and sync readings and you are connected via ethernet and into main phone socket I would advise you give tech support a call on 1890260260and have them troubleshoot and test this with you. They will be able to determine if modem issue and can have a replacement sent to you.
    Post me here if this does not resolve issue.
    Tony

Believe or not but all connection problems gone since i put the router on the floor near phone socket..

• Advertisement

BaguMka wrote: »
    Believe or not but all connection problems gone since i put the router on the floor near phone socket..

Hi BaguMka,

Thanks for updating us. Great to hear you've solved your Broadband problem. Very simple solution I know, but this worked for me aswell!!;)

I've checked your sync and this is showing pretty good. While you've stayed solidly connected over our servers for over 24hrs!!

Stay in touch.
    All the best,
    Ant

Advertisement