Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

farm quad

• 09-04-2011 1:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

does anybody know anything about loncin farm quads , a mate of mine has a loncin dirt bike , he reckons their the biz while being very cheap

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

pat25c wrote: »
    does anybody know anything about loncin farm quads , a mate of mine has a loncin dirt bike , he reckons their the biz while being very cheap

Did he buy it in LIDL?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

:D:D

Now Now don't be slaggin LIDL.

The best box of €8 HSS drill bits you'I get anywhere;)

hmmmmm......quads though, I'm not so sure :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

pat25c wrote: »

the auld fella got codded into buying one dressed up as honda there some years ago..it carried him around fair enough but thats all it was suitable for, gears were cat, also chain driven and chain would slip if under any pressure, not 4wd either...stay away from them would be my 2 cents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

on quads how much does it cost on petrel for the week,starting to think a tractor is cheaper for bringing in cows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

keep going wrote: »
    on quads how much does it cost on petrel for the week,starting to think a tractor is cheaper for bringing in cows

cost us about €40 -€50 a week for petrol averaged over the year for a honda 420.
    was checking the what kind of mileage it done last week.
    5l done one day and covered 40km herding and moving stock.
    they aint cheap to run, thats for sure.

op the cheap quads are grand for a bit of playing around on or very light work, but if you are considering doing any sort of normal farm work, get one of the 3 branded bikes, honda yamaha or suiki. unfortunately ya have to fork out for them.

new bike on the way for me this week, just in time for spot spraying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Think I burnt half a tank the last day, only had the bike for a few hours :pac: Not cheap to run, I imagine that's entirely true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Does anyone or has anyone considered using a motorbike/dirt bike for around the farm? I suppose it's only really suitable for getting the cows in and putting up one or two break fences but that's what alot of farmers out here would use. Alot easier to run on petrol to I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

What ever happened to walking out for the cows?? A bit of excercise never killed anybody

the only circumstances where i could justify spending 40-50 quid a week on petrol for a quad is if i had 300 cows or more so huge distance from parlour or was farming on the side of a mountain.

I don't even spend 50 quid on petrol for the car a week - madness in my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

dont usually use the quad herding as cattle generally close enough but it handy if you are bring meal to cattle, opeing a closing a heap of gates is a pain though so sometimes its easier to walk

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

dar31 wrote: »
    cost us about €40 -€50 a week for petrol averaged over the year for a honda 420.

op the cheap quads are grand for a bit of playing around on or very light work, but if you are considering doing any sort of normal farm work, get one of the 3 branded bikes, honda yamaha or suiki. unfortunately ya have to fork out for them.

FFS Dar31 if petrol keeps going up like it is that will be 70-80e for this year!!:D

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement

Tipp Man wrote: »
    What ever happened to walking out for the cows?? A bit of excercise never killed anybody

the only circumstances where i could justify spending 40-50 quid a week on petrol for a quad is if i had 300 cows or more so huge distance from parlour or was farming on the side of a mountain.

Never a truer word spoken. Sure it's lazier we're all gettin' :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Really? 40 - 50 / week? :eek:

I use my wee 135 as most of ye would a quad - checking stock, taking em feed, bit of fencing, that kinda thing. Around 15 - 20 mins every morning, and then maybe an hour or two on a Saturday depending on what I was at.
    At a guess, I would say I put in about 25L / month. I think its about once a month I get a drum filled in the coop. So thats less than 25euro / month.

Now - I know that doesnt compare with 40km you list above. And also, the 135 isnt much use for any kinda herding :)

But I kinda hadnt realised quads were so expensive to run... Maybe I'll stick with the old 135 for a while longer...

I would say I put in about 25L / month. I think its about once a month I get a drum filled in the coop. So thats less than 25euro / month.

But I kinda hadnt realised quads were so expensive to run... Maybe I'll stick with the old 135 for a while longer...

Go on the little red giant:D An absolute miser on fuel no doubt. And great power for a tractor it's size.

Just recently got the diesel pump and injectors overhauled on ours.

its 1 km in either direction to the farthest paddocks, bugger me if im walking that, would have to employ another person, just to do all the walking, and wicklow isnt renowned for its level land

its 1 km in either direction to the farthest paddocks, bugger me if im walking that, would have to employ another person, just to do all the walking, and wicklow isnt renowned for its level land

Ah come now Dar, 1k is nothing:D. And if its uphill on the way out then its down hill on the way back;)

Ah come now Dar, 1k is nothing:D. And if its uphill on the way out then its down hill on the way back;)

well when you look at it that way;).
    anyone want a quad

And sure if yer lucky - it might be raining. Ah, a lovely walk in the rain... Refreshing... :)

And sure if yer lucky - it might be raining. Ah, a lovely walk in the rain... Refreshing... :)

Can't beat the cab on a quad alright;)

some day i would love to get a 135 i think they are just fab. one without a cab would be very easy to hop on and off and alot of times they wouldnt be that much slower than a quad but they are so hard to find and no one wants to part with theirs

some day i would love to get a 135 i think they are just fab. one without a cab would be very easy to hop on and off and alot of times they wouldnt be that much slower than a quad but they are so hard to find and no one wants to part with theirs

Why without a cab? I dont get... The cab may not be the best on our 135, but it keeps the majority of rain off.
    Plus, what about safety? I can tell you from experience having a tractor overturn isn't too pleasant. Without a cab, you'd hardly stand a chance...

• Advertisement

easy to hop on and off,but roll bar would be a must as it would be the tractor the lads will learn to drive on would you sell yours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

Went up hill yesterday for 2 heifers with quad where any tractor would either take off skiding or turn upsidedown
    The tractor does one job and the quad does another it will go places a tractor or 4wd jeep cant
    I only have mine over a month but I wouldn't use 10 euro a week but I dont drive it all day every day either

easy to hop on and off,but roll bar would be a must as it would be the tractor the lads will learn to drive on would you sell yours

Nah - I'll hold onto mine for another bit I'd say. Tis the only bit of machinery I have :)

I would advise getting a cab, but tis up to yerself.

Advertisement