Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rappers that should retire

• 09-04-2011 2:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭

1. Snoop Dogg
    Hasnt released a good album in years. So removed from what he was that he cant really make a gangster album ever again. Went from one of the coolest men on the planet to a cornball in a few years.

2. Fat Joe
    Horrible raps but sometimes a good ear for music. If it wasnt for pun you'd be a nobody at this stage. Lucky to get one platinum album, aint going to happen again.

3. 50 cent
    Milked the hip hop game for all it was worth. What he creates cant be classed as music, its a product. Went from I'll kill you to I'll pay someone to kill you. No one believes it anymore 50.

4. Raekwon
    A poor mans nas/cheap kool g rap rip off. Fat middle aged millionaires dont sell crack on corners. Bit embarrassing at this stage.

5. Cypress hill
    Once my favourite group. Havent released a good album in over ten years. Weed songs are just boring at this stage and muggs production fell off hard.

Dishonourable mentions: Game, Camron, Eminem, Jigga, memphis bleek, noreaga, kurupt, dmx, Busta Rhymes, Dr Dre.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Cypress hill banging on about weed is getting pretty old in fairness. Snoop dog should have retired years ago. I think he's over rated anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

No one better mention eminem!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Jus.Me

co-sign on Cypress Hill. Haven't released anything worthwhile in well over 15 years.
    I haven't got much interest in hearing new material from most of the greats from back in the day really. New EPMD or Jeru The Damaja album in 2011?.. nah, don't bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

i think to call on them to retire is a bit harsh to be honest, if some of the names you mentioned retired could you imagine how much worse hip hop would be then?
    1. Snoop Dogg
    Hasnt released a good album in years. So removed from what he was that he cant really make a gangster album ever again. Went from one of the coolest men on the planet to a cornball in a few years.

id agree, the last album i enjoyed from snoop was rhythm and gangsta in 04 and i taught that was pretty good. but in recent years he has fell off so much it aint even funny i mean you hear that song sweat how bad is it, those lryics made me cringe, snoop making techno music never taught id see the day but it all boils down to whats selling and hip hop is in decline.

2. Fat Joe
    Horrible raps but sometimes a good ear for music. If it wasnt for pun you'd be a nobody at this stage. Lucky to get one platinum album, aint going to happen again.

if i was to go by joe's last effort darkside vol 1 i would say he well and truly is still making good music, just because it doesn't sell well doesn't mean it should be dubbed a failure and especially in todays climate where the only people in hip hop doing big numbers are eminem and kanye west, even lil wayne's last 2 albums done poor considering how popular he is amongst all the younger people.
    3. 50 cent
    Milked the hip hop game for all it was worth. What he creates cant be classed as music, its a product. Went from I'll kill you to I'll pay someone to kill you. No one believes it anymore 50.

as much as i hated his last album bisd bar 1 or 2 songs, he's still one of the biggest names in hip hop, but he needs to step it up his latest freestyle's are a sign he's making good music again but your only as good as your last album and in 50's case it wasn't good, 50 was the last real big gangsta rapper to come through with a real story and backround he said he's in it for the money he always did the only positive thing i can take from 50 in the last few years is he's still making gangsta rap and staying true to it bar the 1 or 2 radio pop singles his albums are hard out, but iv a feeling he'l get a lot more commercial to stay relevant.
    4. Raekwon
    A poor mans nas/cheap kool g rap rip off. Fat middle aged millionaires dont sell crack on corners. Bit embarrassing at this stage.

na man raekwon is solid out you have it misunderstood, how can you say that? i mean if your going to criticize raekwon for his lryics your going to have to say the exact same about 90 per cent of rappers inc jay z,nas,dre,50,game,ice cube etc etc the list goes on, they all rap about these things and we all know well none of them live that lifestyle anymore thats gangsta rap, but at least they arnt former correction officers rapping from the perspective that they were drug lords like a certain rick ross.
    5. Cypress hill
    Once my favourite group. Havent released a good album in over ten years. Weed songs are just boring at this stage and muggs production fell off hard.

i only know of there old stuff was never a huge fan to begin with kind of lost interest in them down the years, wiz kahlifa seems to think otherwise he is making a career of weed songs though.

i wouldn't wish retirement on any rapper really but then again sometimes it is hard to listen to rappers who are 40 odd years of age like a jay z or dre rapping from the perspective that they are in there 20's but look what can we do because we will more than likely be crying out for them when they are gone and all we have is drake and all his young money crew telling us that this is hip hop:(.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

i think to call on them to retire is a bit harsh to be honest, if some of the names you mentioned retired could you imagine how much worse hip hop would be then?

Hip hop needs new blood to survive. The last time rappers held on too long was in New York in the early 90s when BDK and KRS1 ruled. The west took their spot for a few years. Theres some really good talent in the underground especially in Detroit nd LA.

id agree, the last album i enjoyed from snoop was rhythm and gangsta in 04 and i taught that was pretty good. but in recent years he has fell off so much it aint even funny i mean you hear that song sweat how bad is it, those lryics made me cringe, snoop making techno music never taught id see the day but it all boils down to whats selling and hip hop is in decline.

Agreed. Thought R&G was a fairly good album myself. But snoop has so much cash he doesnt need to sell out. He could do whatever he wanted to at this stage. Big rock bands dont sell out in the same way.

if i was to go by joe's last effort darkside vol 1 i would say he well and truly is still making good music, just because it doesn't sell well doesn't mean it should be dubbed a failure and especially in todays climate where the only people in hip hop doing big numbers are eminem and kanye west, even lil wayne's last 2 albums done poor considering how popular he is amongst all the younger people.

I've just always though of him as a very average rapper. He does have a good ear for beats though. Some of the beats on that albums were deadly.

as much as i hated his last album bisd bar 1 or 2 songs, he's still one of the biggest names in hip hop, but he needs to step it up his latest freestyle's are a sign he's making good music again but your only as good as your last album and in 50's case it wasn't good, 50 was the last real big gangsta rapper to come through with a real story and backround he said he's in it for the money he always did the only positive thing i can take from 50 in the last few years is he's still making gangsta rap and staying true to it bar the 1 or 2 radio pop singles his albums are hard out, but iv a feeling he'l get a lot more commercial to stay relevant.

His music is very contrived to me. It doesnt have any soul. To me hes like the hip hop version of a middle of the road rock band like Bon Jovi. Nothing original just following a very boring and tired formula. Hes one of the main people that started the rot in hip hop.

na man raekwon is solid out you have it misunderstood, how can you say that? i mean if your going to criticize raekwon for his lryics your going to have to say the exact same about 90 per cent of rappers inc jay z,nas,dre,50,game,ice cube etc etc the list goes on, they all rap about these things and we all know well none of them live that lifestyle anymore thats gangsta rap, but at least they arnt former correction officers rapping from the perspective that they were drug lords like a certain rick ross.

I knew people would disagree with me on this. Hes another man with a great ear for beats. RZA always comes through. Thing is the good gangster rappers move on to other subjects rather than just drugs and murder. At least nas and ice cube can be political and talk about social things. His partner GFK makes some of the most creative music out. He doesnt limit himself to gangster stuff. Always thought of him as one of the weaker people in wu tang. Never understood the hype.

i only know of there old stuff was never a huge fan to begin with kind of lost interest in them down the years, wiz kahlifa seems to think otherwise he is making a career of weed songs though.

First two cypress albums are classics imo. They were probably the first to really bring weed smoking to the public long before it was popular to talk about it. Album three and four were also very good albums. Muggs used to be a beast but alchemist is way better at making beats now. Its sad what happened to them cause they were a great group and their live shows are unreal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

As I've complained in the past people worry too much about these artists that are past their prime. I think older rappers can potentially make really good music (MF Doom, Big Boi) but there's way too many of them putting out average ish and declaring themselves saviors of the old school. Most of the rappers I listen to are from the last 5 years. If you don't want to set yourself up for a lot of disappointment then that's the best way to go. Feck all that bring the 90's back bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

As I've complained in the past people worry too much about these artists that are past their prime. I think older rappers can potentially make really good music (MF Doom, Big Boi) but there's way too many of them putting out average ish and declaring themselves saviors of the old school. Most of the rappers I listen to are from the last 5 years. If you don't want to set yourself up for a lot of disappointment then that's the best way to go. Feck all that bring the 90's back bollocks.
    Yeah theres still some old school rappers making great music like RZA, Outkast, Boot Camp Clik, GFK, Scarface. Like yourself been very disappointed with rappers hyping their album saying its going to bring NY back or save rap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 De_La_Jim

Jus.Me wrote: »
    co-sign on Cypress Hill. Haven't released anything worthwhile in well over 15 years.
    I haven't got much interest in hearing new material from most of the greats from back in the day really. New EPMD or Jeru The Damaja album in 2011?.. nah, don't bother.

You need to get the **** outta here......Jeru is King,keep that oldskoool alive if you'd rather go listen to lil wayne and drake go to www.EATADICK.com
    :cool::cool::cool:

Hip hop needs new blood to survive. The last time rappers held on too long was in New York in the early 90s when BDK and KRS1 ruled. The west took their spot for a few years. Theres some really good talent in the underground especially in Detroit nd LA.

true, but unless the market commercially is there for them how is there music going to spread and become more popular in order for hip hop to stay relevant. what i mean by that is, look at how hip hop music performs these days if it doesn't have a pop or techno element to it, it doesn't perform aswell as it used to, its nearly a dead cert. Back in the early 90's etc the music climate was completely different to it is now, this is the digital era and in order for rappers to get exposure they have to go pop and techno or be able able to do something other than just rap like a drake or a j.cole.

Just being a rapper looks to me to be not good enough anymore for commercial success and the longer that stays the way it is the harder its going to be for the underground talent in the likes of LA and detroit as you said to break through and become succesfull.

the rest on who should retire etc is just down to opinion really and what we think of there music etc so there's not much point in saying anymore on that or we will be here all day bud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

if some of the names you mentioned retired could you imagine how much worse hip hop would be then?

...not very much?

• Advertisement

Orizio wrote: »
    ...not very much?

it would be for fans of certain artists, if eminem and kanye hadn't released albums last year what new artist would of stepped up and released an album worthy of album of the year?

why are you not modding hip hop anymore did you pack it in mate?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Jus.Me

De_La_Jim wrote: »
    You need to get the **** outta here......Jeru is King,keep that oldskoool alive if you'd rather go listen to lil wayne and drake go to www.EATADICK.com
    :cool::cool::cool:

pfft.. how old were you when Jeru dropped Come Clean? 3 or 4? probably only heard of the guy like 2 years ago, now your gonna try to tell me about old school. please...

Jeru hasn't made a decent album since Wrath of the Math.
    Jeru without Premier = Boring Music

Sun Rises In The East and Wrath Of The Math are 2 of my favorite hip hop albums of all time, but its 2011. Bout time to move on I would think.. or not.. dont really care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

surely de la jim deserves an infraction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭tomombo

Is it just me that thinks that I need a doctor is completely overrated?? Dre never only has a cameo in his own song!!

Whatever happened to Forget about Dre style rapping DREEEEE??

it would be for fans of certain artists, if eminem and kanye hadn't released albums last year what new artist would of stepped up and released an album worthy of album of the year?

why are you not modding hip hop anymore did you pack it in mate?

Well he didn't list either of those artists, but anyway Curren$y for one. K.R.I.T. as well.

And yup, I packed it in. I packed in the other modships as well but they are still for some reason. :pac:

Well he didn't list either of those artists, but anyway Curren$y for one. K.R.I.T. as well.

And yup, I packed it in. I packed in the other modships as well but they are still for some reason. :pac:

he listed eminem on the bottom, Currensy and K.R.I.T didnt release albums worthy of album of the year on a commercial front, they still are not very well known if we are honest although they are getting more popular.

i dont like currensy but i like krit but his album wasn't album of the year even though it was very good, if it was surely they both would of got some recognition other than your more hardcore hip hop and underground hip hop fans?

surely for an album to be called album of the year it would have to perform well just as well as it sounds?

he listed eminem on the bottom, Currensy and K.R.I.T didnt release albums worthy of album of the year on a commercial front, they still are not very well known if we are honest although they are getting more popular.

i dont like currensy but i like krit but his album wasn't album of the year even though it was very good, if it was surely they both would of got some recognition other than your more hardcore hip hop and underground hip hop fans?

surely for an album to be called album of the year it would have to perform well just as well as it sounds?

No, not at all. Sales are irrelevent. Illmatic did badly (at the time) in terms of sales and yet many consider it the GOAT album. Quality is all important.

No, not at all. Sales are irrelevent. Illmatic did badly (at the time) in terms of sales and yet many consider it the GOAT album. Quality is all important.

tell that that to any major record label if an artist constantly fails to do numbers, i agree its all about quality but we both know thats not the case, in order for these rappers to get more popular and sell more records they have to do well commercially otherwise they will be dropped because the majors aint making a profit. they say indie is the best route to go down these days anyway because of the way record sales are unless you are an eminem or kanye etc.

with illmatic there's always exceptions to every rule but that was in a totally different era and musical climate its hard to compare.

im on about albums that actually get mentioned for awards and get recognition for being album of the year amongst everyone and not just there fan base's, lets face it neither currensy or big krit got that recognition from your mtv's,bet's etc last year and i doubt they ever will unless they perform better commercially, i dont agree with it but thats the way it is.

i have big hopes for krit though i think he is class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

There's really only 3 people in Hip-Hop that fit the description you're talking about - Jay-Z, Eminem and Kanye West. While Detox will sell Dr. Dre is irrelevant, only those three have the crossover success and really get air time.

Big Boi would be a big name you'd think and Sir Luscious Left Foot was definitely one of the best albums of last year but outside of Hip-Hop circles it was barely mentioned, if at all. J. Cole's mixtape along with KRIT and Curren$y were at the top end of the releases last year regardless of getting air play. What gets played on MTV here anyway? It's mostly R&B so it doesn't really matter, the non poppy stuff will always be niche.

If Eminem, Jay-Z and Kanye retired today I honestly don't believe they'd ever be replaced in terms of the iconic status they've achieved. There are no more superstars, Lil Wayne might challenge for the biggest name but he'll never have their appeal. The way forward is for guys to just keep releasing good tapes and albums. The days of the major labels are numbered anyway and they know it so I wouldn't get too hung up on what the majors want.

I don't think there's anyone truely embarrassing themselves, the term sellout is long dead so the likes of Snoop featuring on Katy Perry songs doesn't even matter anymore despite what some will argue. But if there was a generation to retire it's the early 90s West Coast rappers. Dre, Snoop, Ice Cube etc they could stop right now and never release another album and nobody would bat an eyelid.

im on about albums that actually get mentioned for awards and get recognition for being album of the year amongst everyone and not just there fan base's, lets face it neither currensy or big krit got that recognition from your mtv's,bet's etc last year and i doubt they ever will unless they perform better commercially, i dont agree with it but thats the way it is.

i have big hopes for krit though i think he is class.

...but there is no real reason to think like that. I mean, MTV has no musical credibility amongst music fans, BET has no credibility amongst the Hip-Hop community. The people who buy albums (like those of Drake and Eminem) currently often tend to be teenagers with more money then sense, people who are looking for the newest fad to keep up with their friends etc. This is largely the demographic - teenage airheads - that pushes the scene in terms of album sales and is the demographic MTV, BET etc appeal to overwhelmingly. Its also a demographic that has little to no understanding of Hip-Hop, but only of whats popular and fad. As such, if a million little Ashley's buy the new Drake with their allowance why should this mean Drake has the best Hip-Hop album of 2010? It doesn't mean anything other then Drake sells a lot of records.

We are better off looking at what people that discuss Hip-Hop regularly, people that have been listening to Hip-Hop for years and listen to it consistently - i.e. the Hip-Hop community as a whole - and seeing what they think is the best album. I'd imagine the answer you'll get for last year is Kanye, Raekwon, Big Boi, Curren$y etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I never bothered with Drake last year, didn't like what he'd offered beforehand. Just after buying Kanye's album. One of the best I've ever heard, no doubt. Same goes for Big Boi's. I've heard a few guys not from the hip hop community as such who have said that it's an insane album, so that bodes well for the future. Problem with Big Boi is everyone knows Andre and dismisses the Boi.

Have heard an awful lot about Curren$y but I've yet to hear his album. Can't say anything else till then.

Outside of the hip hop community I can see why Eminem is such a hit. Personally I've gotten tired of his album and I'd struggle to name 5 tunes. However, I do think a few of his tunes are good. They aren't in the same league at all as Kanye's or Big Boi's at all though. Realistically though only Kanye is going to get the commercial success that he deserves. Such is life.

...but there is no real reason to think like that. I mean, MTV has no musical credibility amongst music fans, BET has no credibility amongst the Hip-Hop community. The people who buy albums (like those of Drake and Eminem) currently often tend to be teenagers with more money then sense, people who are looking for the newest fad to keep up with their friends etc. This is largely the demographic - teenage airheads - that pushes the scene in terms of album sales and is the demographic MTV, BET etc appeal to overwhelmingly. Its also a demographic that has little to no understanding of Hip-Hop, but only of whats popular and fad. As such, if a million little Ashley's buy the new Drake with their allowance why should this mean Drake has the best Hip-Hop album of 2010? It doesn't mean anything other then Drake sells a lot of records.

We are better off looking at what people that discuss Hip-Hop regularly, people that have been listening to Hip-Hop for years and listen to it consistently - i.e. the Hip-Hop community as a whole - and seeing what they think is the best album. I'd imagine the answer you'll get for last year is Kanye, Raekwon, Big Boi, Curren$y etc.

Im simply trying to make the point that, if all these new rappers want to become the next eminem,kanye,jay z etc (and at some point we are going to need another one) and survive in the industry and become successful they are going to have to perform commercially whether we like it or not.

im not sticking up for your drakes and lil waynes etc but at the end of the day they are the one's who are picking up the awards and to my knowledge there is no fans hip hop award for a album or artist of the year so again whoever win's these mtv and bet awards etc are the one's getting the credit no matter what we say because the fans dont have a voice in hip hop anymore but your right it is wrong, i mean my favorite album last year was distant relatives and that was forgotten about fairly quick but then again it was an album of mixed genre's and not just hip hop.

I know the MTV's and BET's dont have that much creditability if any at all amongst most realistic hip hop fans, i was just using them as examples of how commercial success plays a big role in an artists career.

Im talking about new artists specifically here and as i said not one of them in my opinion have made a better album than recovery or mbdtf no matter what your personal opinion of currensy's material is because there are those out there like myself who just dont like currensy, i feel he's a dime a dozen iv seen his type before many a time but its all down to opinion really on whats good and what isn't.

if you are going to put eminem into the same bracket as drake you would have to include kanye because he has a huge influence on the as you put it young people with more money than sense, it wasn't long ago when kanye was dancing around with stupid sun glasses and singing in autotune(which he still does) you talk about big boi and raekwon too maybe they are not as commercial as eminem and kanye but it isn't for the lack of trying they just dont have the same appeal about them to be as big and successful (solo wise).

you are giving eminem a lot less credit than he deserves, Recovery was a lot better representation of what a hip hop album should be compared to mbdtf which was heavily sampled, heavy on the features and where the beats performed better than kanye's skills on the mic which is a huge factor. Eminem would wipe the floor with kanye as an mc any day, kanye is a very average rapper im not taking anything away from mbdtf it is a great album but to put eminem in the same bracket as a drake just because he is commercially huge and popular amongst young fans is more than a bit harsh, iv said it before kanye has a lot to do with how hip hop is now with all his autotune and singing rubbish, he helped make commercial hip hop what it is today.
    There's really only 3 people in Hip-Hop that fit the description you're talking about - Jay-Z, Eminem and Kanye West. While Detox will sell Dr. Dre is irrelevant, only those three have the crossover success and really get air time.

Big Boi would be a big name you'd think and Sir Luscious Left Foot was definitely one of the best albums of last year but outside of Hip-Hop circles it was barely mentioned, if at all. J. Cole's mixtape along with KRIT and Curren$y were at the top end of the releases last year regardless of getting air play. What gets played on MTV here anyway? It's mostly R&B so it doesn't really matter, the non poppy stuff will always be niche.

If Eminem, Jay-Z and Kanye retired today I honestly don't believe they'd ever be replaced in terms of the iconic status they've achieved. There are no more superstars, Lil Wayne might challenge for the biggest name but he'll never have their appeal. The way forward is for guys to just keep releasing good tapes and albums. The days of the major labels are numbered anyway and they know it so I wouldn't get too hung up on what the majors want.

I don't think there's anyone truely embarrassing themselves, the term sellout is long dead so the likes of Snoop featuring on Katy Perry songs doesn't even matter anymore despite what some will argue. But if there was a generation to retire it's the early 90s West Coast rappers. Dre, Snoop, Ice Cube etc they could stop right now and never release another album and nobody would bat an eyelid.

ye id agree with most of that if not all of it, i think dre and snoop more so than ice cube have crossed the desperate line way back and have come so far now where its just embarrassing to watch them.

snoop on that techno track was the last straw for me, what an absolute sell out, i mean joe budden got raped back in the day for appearing on a song with Christina milian and now a days you got snoop with katy perry etc and no one bats an eyelid, amazing how its changed.

Advertisement