Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Dial-up still exist?

Options
  • 09-04-2011 3:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭

I'm just curious if anyone still uses dial-up these days or even if any isps still have these services? I note my new laptop is the first I've had without a modem port.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It does.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

I'm just curious if anyone still uses dial-up these days or even if any isps still have these services? I note my new laptop is the first I've had without a modem port.

of course it does...lots of people still can't get any form of broadband so are stuck in dialup land.

Mobile internet is really a form of dialup too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

bealtine wrote: »
    of course it does...lots of people still can't get any form of broadband so are stuck in dialup land.

Mobile internet is really a form of dialup too.

Surely mobile broadband ( and by that I include using GPRS / Edge / 3G tethering) is so ubiquitious now that dial up is not necessary?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Surely mobile broadband ( and by that I include using GPRS / Edge / 3G tethering) is so ubiquitious now that dial up is not necessary?

no

and
    mobile *is* dialup

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Mobile isn't Broadband. It can be faster (100x) than traditional phone line dialup and can be cheaper.

But there is no assurance of a connection or even maintaining a connection even if there is coverage for Mobile. It can easily drop to 50kbps speed too.

Compare Fixed Wireless Broadband and Mobile Internet http://www.radioway.info/comparewireless/

Other stuff to read http://www.techtir.ie/comms

• Advertisement
Advertisement