Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday within a holiday

Options
  • 09-04-2011 3:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

Hi peeps,

I'm going back to Thailand for the summer (3 months) and I'll need to do a visa run after 2 months. Last year I flew to KL for about 4 nights and it was great I loved it. It was like a holiday within a holiday :D

This year I am looking to go somewhere different. I know I can do cheap border visa-runs, some even being a day trip all inclusive job but I am looking to see somewhere a bit different and again have a mini holiday! :P

I am not interested in going to the quite often travelled routes of Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam. I would prefer to go somewhere a little bit different and think I would prefer a city break as I will be spending most of my time in the southern islands.

Three places that spring to mind are: Singapore, Jakarta (Indonesia) or Manilla (Phillipines). I'm still in the early stages of organising and haven't even looked at these destinations yet due to college and work but would love some thoughts/descriptions/suggestions from people or anyone who has been to these places.

I'm aware they are a little further than KL and I'd expect to be able to afford the extra cost and I am flexible about staying anything really up to a week, possibly longer.

Thanks for reading

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭cassi

I don't know about Jakarta or Singapor but Manilla is nothing special, however you could get an internal flight to Cebu its nice there and also has beaches etc. Another option is to do Myanmar its not exacty gonna be city break kinda thing but its different. If you havent been there already Siagon (HCMC) is amazing, definetly worth a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭jimmay

Thanks cassi

I'm now pretty sure I'll do a trip to Hong Kong & Macau, looks amazing and loads of cool stuff to see and do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭cutymonalisa

If I was you i'd fly from BKK to Calcutta, India (2 hr 30 min flight) Short enough hop and you get out of the SE Asia buzz for a few days. Would need to have an indian visa organised in advance though - i did this before and it was a great alternative!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭whatsyourquota

I know a few people who went to Burma and it is meant to be spectacular. And you can flythere from Bangkok.
    Obviously there are ethical reasons why you mightnt want to go there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

You could travel down south from Bangkok to Singapore by train which would be pretty cool I reckon and fly back up after a few days in the worlds only shopping mall with a seat at the UN.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭muireann50

Haven't been to Jakarta or Manilla, but I wouldn't personally recommend Singapore, found it pretty boring unless you want to do nothing but shop, and its a lot more expensive than Thailand

Advertisement