Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standard size for a "glass" of wine

Options
  • 09-04-2011 8:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

The law specifies what a measure of spirits is, but not wine??

I've been to a couple of restaurants recently where a "glass" of wine was definitely on the small/stingy side.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

They can serve a shot of wine technically and call it a small glass but 125ml is the standard, then 175 and 250ml for medium and large. There's no law about it though afaik.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

mambo wrote: »
    The law specifies what a measure of spirits is, but not wine?
    The law does not specify what a measure of spirits is. The law sets out a number of measures for types of drink for the purposes of price lists. For spirits it's 35.5ml, for wine it's 187ml.

There is no obligation on businesses to actually serve the drinks in these measures, but the price charged must be proportional.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I always see a standard glass as 1/6 of a bottle - 125ml - but most people in Ireland would consider that as only a half a glass of wine. Wine glasses have gotten much bigger, generally, but we still consider them as a 'glass' and people tend to overfill glasses too.

For some reason drink aware calls 100ml a small glass of wine. I don't know anybody who would consider this a 'glass' of wine - in fact their 'unit' calculations are rather suspect in general, in my opinion and somewhat misleading.

I do think anyone selling wine by the glass should be specifying the quantity.
    There are lots of glasses available with a capacity marked on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

I always see a standard glass as 1/6 of a bottle - 125ml - but most people in Ireland would consider that as only a half a glass of wine. Wine glasses have gotten much bigger, generally, but we still consider them as a 'glass' and people tend to overfill glasses too.

For some reason drink aware calls 100ml a small glass of wine. I don't know anybody who would consider this a 'glass' of wine - in fact their 'unit' calculations are rather suspect in general, in my opinion and somewhat misleading.

I do think anyone selling wine by the glass should be specifying the quantity.
    There are lots of glasses available with a capacity marked on them.

I'd be the same. Generally would pour 6 glasses from a bottle of red. Maybe pushed to 7/8 for a white/sweet wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Industry ROT would be 4 glasses to a 750ml bottle of wine, i.e. 187.5ml / glass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Industry ROT would be 4 glasses to a 750ml bottle of wine, i.e. 187.5ml / glass.

Thats what I would have thought, but I suppose as mentioned, anywhere can serve whatever they like.

Advertisement