Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honda Deauville or Hyosung gv650

Options
  • 09-04-2011 9:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi all,

Another newbie question if u don't mind..

I'm new to biking(other than riding a moped abroad for 3 years), but never ridden a bigger bike.

I have my learner permit ( got it b4 the new compulsory training requirement was brought in). However I will be taking lessons in next few weeks.

Looking for a bike for nothing more than heading out on a sunny day. Not needed for commuting, no plans to ride it in bad weather etc. Do not want a 'Road bike' either. So narrowed it down to a cruiser or tourer.

On advice from dealerships, I'm looking at a 2 year old Deauville or a new Hyosung GV650 cruiser. I've done a fair bit of research on this site and there's lots of feedback on both. The Honda seems to hold it's value better, but those that have commented on the Hyosung seem happy with their purchases also.

I'm just wondering if the Honda has too much kit..it has all the extras, 'top box' as well as the panniers etc (or is too top heavy as was pointed out by a dealer) for a newbie and for what I plan on using it for..(Summer riding on my days off work).

Hyosung currently 6250e new ( reduced from 8000e)... A 2 year old Deauville in perfect condition is going for 7000e.

I'm aware about the requirement for restrictor needing to be fitted to the Honda but the Hyosung doesn't need one apparantly.

Any comments/recommendations would be appreciated, to help me make up my mind, as I've been hanging around dealerships for past few weeks, and fear I'm going to get barred, unless I make a purchase!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

Deauville's are something of an acquired taste. I've the older 650 model, and I'll say one thing for it, it takes a fall well with the built in crash bars etc. Since most learners will have a bike topple over atsome point, you might want to consider that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

I've heard more bad reports than good about Hyosungs, don't know what to make of them really.
    If I was getting a bike for sunny day spins only I think I'd go for a supermoto. Of those two I'd say the Deauville is the better bike though.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

A deauville is a lot more practical than a cruiser, with panniers and glove boxes. Better wind protection, although they aren't great in the wind compared to some bikes. They have a 200+ miles range if you don't ride like a loon. They handle well enough, and are comfortable.

I really like mine, not near a smooth as the FJR but doesn't the job well, just doesn't scare the balls of you.

They are very different styles you have to decide what you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Either I'm confused or you are one bike is a very cool looking cruise machine the other a boringly practical ( allthough I'm sure a very accomplished bike)

How are these two your choices

If it was me I'd get a 15 year plus cruiser / tourer from one of the big four in good condition and have it freshened up by a good mechanic
    New springs and shocks and all the bearings and seals checked / changed etc

Should be doable for about three grand

If yer over 25 you'll then get classic insurance for it

http://www.donedeal.ie/find/motorbikes/for-sale/Ireland/Yamaha%20virago?source=all

Some of these are learner legal because of the power to weight rule

http://www.donedeal.ie/find/motorbikes/for-sale/Ireland/Steed?source=all

Without being horrible the best thing people said about the deavile is it crashes well and hysung are a big risk with very low resale value

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

I have a GV250 for a year and LOVE it.

I ride it in all weather. It's never failed me, I've half of South Koreas industrial output bolted on to it (crash bars, carrier, side luggage, 48L topbox, massive front faring with windshield etc).

Hyosung made Suzuki's engines so there is no dispute there.

There have been some concerns about the finish on the Hyo's - and yes there is a hint of corrosion on the chromed parts - but every critical piece is alloy, and whatever metal is used in the tank is the fantastic, I scraped it to the metal and it's never rusted.
    I do keep the bike outside under a high quality rain cover,

My next bike will be another Hyosung,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

personally wouldnt touch a hyosung.. in particular, one that has so much finished metal (their weakpoint)

pretty decent thread I recall about them
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054861251

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

If it was me I would go for the Honda, for one reason along. If you plan to ride out on nice days only, you will be looking at having the bike in 'storage' effectively for most of the year. For me is I was looking for a bike that can handle being stored and yet still start with no problems it would be a Honda.

This is coming from a BMW owner who just had to pay 1700 to bring a bike back to life after 10 months in the garage. So two bits of advice stay away from BMW and secondly gert a trickle charger for the bike.

Cionn

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

Cartech wrote: »
    Hi all,

Another newbie question if u don't mind..

I'm new to biking(other than riding a moped abroad for 3 years), but never ridden a bigger bike.

I have my learner permit ( got it b4 the new compulsory training requirement was brought in). However I will be taking lessons in next few weeks.

Looking for a bike for nothing more than heading out on a sunny day. Not needed for commuting, no plans to ride it in bad weather etc. Do not want a 'Road bike' either. So narrowed it down to a cruiser or tourer.

On advice from dealerships, I'm looking at a 2 year old Deauville or a new Hyosung GV650 cruiser. I've done a fair bit of research on this site and there's lots of feedback on both. The Honda seems to hold it's value better, but those that have commented on the Hyosung seem happy with their purchases also.

I'm just wondering if the Honda has too much kit..it has all the extras, 'top box' as well as the panniers etc (or is too top heavy as was pointed out by a dealer) for a newbie and for what I plan on using it for..(Summer riding on my days off work).

Hyosung currently 6250e new ( reduced from 8000e)... A 2 year old Deauville in perfect condition is going for 7000e.

I'm aware about the requirement for restrictor needing to be fitted to the Honda but the Hyosung doesn't need one apparantly.

Any comments/recommendations would be appreciated, to help me make up my mind, as I've been hanging around dealerships for past few weeks, and fear I'm going to get barred, unless I make a purchase!

Thanks in advance.

From a practical point of view the honda is proven to be reliable, low maintainance, forgiving to ride, and resaleable. The hyosung aint..... (the reliability bit is down to the fact that the hyosung hasn't been around for 20 odd years). But then we don't always follow what the head tells us...

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭russki

Cionn wrote: »
    If it was me I would go for the Honda, for one reason along. If you plan to ride out on nice days only, you will be looking at having the bike in 'storage' effectively for most of the year. For me is I was looking for a bike that can handle being stored and yet still start with no problems it would be a Honda.Cionn

I second Honda. And it so happens I have Honda Shadow VT600 for sale for a reasonable price :rolleyes:

Sorry, couldn't resist :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I'd go with the Honda. If you're going for a long spin, the deauville will be more comfortable. You'll literally have a pain in your ass with the cruiser.
    From what I read, Hyosung used to make parts for Suzuki, Suzuki eventually dumped them and Hyosung now use the Suzuki SV650 engine with a few changes to avoid copyright issues.
    And from what I read, everyone seems to think the build quality isn't there, but it's still a lot better than you'd expect for the price. They will be up there as a big bike manufacturer in the future, but not yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭russki

Paparazzo wrote: »
    If you're going for a long spin, the deauville will be more comfortable. You'll literally have a pain in your ass with the cruiser.

Two years ago I did RevUp4DSI on my Shadow. Three days and 1100 kms later I had no problem sitting, standing or walking :D There were plenty people among us riding cruisers and I didn't hear anyone of them complaining that it's less comfortable than other bikes.

From the point of view of practicality, I'd agree, that commuter bikes with Givi box(es) are better suited to carry some luggage that you wouldn't otherwise put in a leather saddle bags. I've purchased Yamaha Fazer exactly for that reason (that's the only reason I'm selling my Shadow now).

But the OP said that the bike is for sunny day ride out, so (in my humble opinion) cruiser will do here much better ;) than a practical commuter bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

From what I read, Hyosung used to make parts for Suzuki, Suzuki eventually dumped them and Hyosung now use the Suzuki SV650 engine with a few changes to avoid copyright issues.

I don't think this is the case - Hyosung originally started out producing bikes under the Suzuki name for the South Korean (and I think other Asian countries) market. Sometime in the 80s they started making bikes under their own name. There's still some sort of relationship between the two, apparently, with Hyosung still making parts for Suzuki, so they didn't dump them.

I'd second what others have said - poor resale value, and the finish might not hold up too well in Irish weather.

I've owned two Hyosungs, and both were absolutely bulletproof, one was an early 90s bike, one a 2003 bike - this was when I lived in Korea though, so I don't know if export models differ.

russki wrote: »
    I second Honda. And it so happens I have Honda Shadow VT600 for sale for a reasonable price :rolleyes:

Sorry, couldn't resist :D

ideal for sunny cruising

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

The Deauville is a very hefty bike for sunny sunday spins and the Hyosung is a matter of taste - I'd rather eat a raw run-over hedgehog. For the money you are planning to spend there are lots of more capable cruisers and tourers as well as 'all-rounders' like the VFR800. The Deauville is sufficient for what it is but the dynamics are a bit dull - the shaft drive is nice and smooth, the fairing keeps almost all wind blast off you and the built in panniers are handy. If you aren't planning commuting, touring or riding in poor weather, why pick a bike with a big fairing and so much storage?

The Honda will always hold its value and as for the Hyosung owners saying they were happy with their purchases - we all do that when we make a mistake...

'cptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I'm with Interceptor here. I would never consider either of those bikes for something to take out for a spin. Just noticed in the op that you want recommendations, i'll post a few up later if you're still interested

I'm with Interceptor here.

Thats a first! LOL :D

OP - buy one of these

Unbreakable, comfortable, torquey, hold their value (if you buy an older one) and easy to get parts and info.

'cptr

as for the Hyosung owners saying they were happy with their purchases - we all do that when we make a mistake...

'cptr

Say what you will, I was genuinely happy with mine. Two years, weeks of touring the country and daily commuting, only thing I did was change the oil and an indicator after the bike was knocked off it's stand. Don't see how either of the bikes were a mistake...

But I did point out that was in Korea - wouldn't buy one in Ireland because I can't imagine it being easy to sell on, I don't know what it's like to get parts etc...(also not a fan of the GV 650 style wise), but there was nothing wrong mechanically with the bikes I had.

I don't get the choice between the two bikes though - what dealership would suggest a choice between a Deauville or a Hyosung GV 650? (the place with the big windows trying to get rid of certain bikes?) They're a bizarre pair.

If I was just going for something for a summers day and liked cruisers, there's lots out there at good prices.. go to donedeal and try Shadow, Vulcan, Dragstar, Intruder in the search engine. See if anything stands out for you.

(Personally if I was going for something for a sunny day, it'd be one of the newer Triumph Bonnevilles. Or a rainy day for that matter.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Cartech

Thanks to all who went to the effort of replying.

I've decided on a Honda Deauville. Initially as was in my original post, I stated that I was looking for a bike for a spin on a sunny day. That said, having read some of your posts and done a bit more research, the Honda may also come in handy for the 30kms commute to work when,and if I decide to leave the car at home.

The storage space it has will be handy for work shoes etc. Don't particularly fancy carrying a back pack slung over my shoulder while riding to work.

Anyhow, deposit put down on a Deauville.... due to collect it later this week, once the restrictor is installed.

I've taken note of several of your suggestions and will look into those when the time comes, e.g the Trickle charger etc.

Yes, it's a big bike, especially for a newbie, but I've organised a few lessons next week in North Dublin, and plan on taking it handy anyhow. Previous experience was riding a 110cc moped around Ho Chi Minh city for 2 years so I've learnt to ride defensively, and always expect the unexpected!!

This was my daily commute to work every day!!
    The rule in vietnam was to always give way to something bigger than you.
    As a system it does actually work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIqQKleBRoI&feature=related

Thanks again, very helpful posts.

Off now to buy some Riding gear.....

MikeC101 wrote: »
    Say what you will, I was genuinely happy with mine.

When in Rome and all that - the Korean market for secondhand Hyosungs and a decent dealer network would be a bonus. Not so good if you need a CDI unit and you live in Sligo. I've looked over several Hyosungs for other people and always been disappointed by the fit and finish of them - but they are waaaay better than anything to come out of China.
    Cartech wrote: »
    I've decided on a Honda Deauville.

Well wear - I hope it serves you well.

'cptr

When in Rome and all that - the Korean market for secondhand Hyosungs and a decent dealer network would be a bonus. Not so good if you need a CDI unit and you live in Sligo. I've looked over several Hyosungs for other people and always been disappointed by the fit and finish of them - but they are waaaay better than anything to come out of China.

Yeah, that's very true - I get misty eyed when I remember how cheap it was to buy the bikes, and how cheap getting stuff done was. I do like them though - I hope they take off some day. I was new to bikes then as well, so it's not really possible for me to make much of a judgement call on the handling.

I wouldn't trade my W650 for one mind :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Jackasaurus rex

MikeC101 wrote: »
    Yeah, that's very true - I get misty eyed when I remember how cheap it was to buy the bikes, and how cheap getting stuff done was. I do like them though - I hope they take off some day. I was new to bikes then as well, so it's not really possible for me to make much of a judgement call on the handling.

I wouldn't trade my W650 for one mind :D

how do you find the w650? i'd love one of them.

how do you find the w650? i'd love one of them.

I love it! Perfect bike for me - love retro looking bikes, but no patience to deal with the maintenance of the real thing. Commute to work on it every day (bar a week or two when we had the ice / snow), use it for occasional longer trips, never a problem with it. They're the kind of bikes that I'd say are bought more as a toy, and minded fairly well by their owners.

There are times when I'm drawn by the more "authentic" of the Triumph retro bikes - the T100 or Scrambler - but the price difference is pretty huge. Maybe some day.

Thats a first! LOL :D

OP - buy one of these

Unbreakable, comfortable, torquey, hold their value (if you buy an older one) and easy to get parts and info.

'cptr

I could not agree more
    Mine is red, great bikes

Advertisement