Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postgrad course with an Open University Open Degree (BSc)

Options
  • 09-04-2011 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm currently studying with the Open University and have 1 year left to complete a BSc Open Degree (I have half a Maths degree finished too but I'm leaning towards finishing the Open Degree rather than finishing the Maths one). I'm just wondering has anyone got into a postgrad course in Ireland with an Open Degree? I'm not sure of the degree's value here in Ireland but it is an honours degree and I'd hope to get a 2:1 or 2:2 in it.

Thanks for any info.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I know someone who did an MA in history after completing an Open University Degree. I don't know how differently it would be viewed in science or maths, but it is possible in arts/humanities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Hi Convert,

Thanks for the reply. You didn't say whether they did an Open degree or not, which is different from a degree in a named subject with the Open University.
    The Open degree is more that you can study courses from various subjects and count them all together for a general BA or BSc degree. It's described in the link below

http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/qualification/bd.htm

I'm just curious to see can I go on to post grad studies with an Open degree, or am I best finishing the Maths degree.

Advertisement