Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband Speed Problem

• 09-04-2011 10:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭

Hi, I've just come home for the Easter holidays after a few months away and for some reason my Eircom download speed has decreased dramatically.

Usually when downloading, I'd have speeds of around 220-240kbps but now am only getting a max of 59kbps.

I ran a speed test and these are the results:

1243728824.png

Any reason for the sudden change in speeds?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

You have to give more information.

What speed are you supposed to be on?

What speed are you syncing at?

Are you using wireless or ethernet?

And of course what are your line stats?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

dub45 wrote: »
    You have to give more information.

What speed are you supposed to be on?

What speed are you syncing at?

Are you using wireless or ethernet?

And of course what are your line stats?

It's meant to be a 3mb connection but I've never received those speeds so around 2mb would be more accurate.

Speed is listed as 1120/256 (kbps).
    Line Attenuation is
    59/31 dB

Using ethernet, have also tried it on wireless but same result.

Ok so I've managed to get it back to normal speeds, but only by disconnecting every phoneline in the house.

I've replaced the filters on every phoneline but as soon as they're connected, I can no longer access the internet.

Any ideas what I should try next?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Do you have any Skyboxes connected to the phoneline? Do you have any monitored alarm system?

roast wrote: »
    Do you have any Skyboxes connected to the phoneline? Do you have any monitored alarm system?

No I don't. It's all good now though, turns out my sister put a phoneline back in without a filter and everything's back to normal now.

Thanks for the suggestions.

• Advertisement

No I don't. It's all good now though, turns out my sister put a phoneline back in without a filter and everything's back to normal now.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Good shtuff.

Ok, it looks like I've spoken too soon.

The download speed returns to normal when all phonelines are out (~220kbps). Once they go back in, they drop to painfully slow speeds (~20kbps)

There are no other connections active in the house and this is the first time anythng like this has ever happened. I've put new filters on the lines.

Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Bruno2010

Hi,

Is your modem connected to the main drop point in the house? This is usually the closest landline connection point to your front door. This is often where where your DSL/PSTN line enters the house and running your modem from this point can usually remove any internal wiring issues from the equation. If you're not already connecting your modem to this point, give it a try and see if you notice any difference.

Also, (although you did mention you tried via Ethernet but worth a mention) if you have one of those 'Sky Eye' or other type TV signal senders this can also knock out your wireless connection.

B

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Ok, it looks like I've spoken too soon.

The download speed returns to normal when all phonelines are out (~220kbps). Once they go back in, they drop to painfully slow speeds (~20kbps)

There are no other connections active in the house and this is the first time anythng like this has ever happened. I've put new filters on the lines.

Any ideas?

Could anything have happened while you were away to damage the wiring somewhere which might be causing a short?

Sounds like you're not connected to the MDP, and if you are, it sounds like that socket is fubar'd and needs to be replaced/repaired.

• Advertisement
Advertisement