Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Zeland Car hire

Options
  • 09-04-2011 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭

Ok Im off shortly and need to hire a car for NZ for just over 2 weeks, the excess on most of them seems to be $3000 odd !! has any hired a car lately and where would you recommend to hire, I'll be starting in Auckland and leaving from Christchurch

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

Best to Google search car rentals. Lots of companies offer different deals. I have used Omega and found them quite cheap. You can pay a little extra each day to bring down the excess. Different companies different prices. Also since you are heading north to south, check that they will pay the Interislander fair. I know that some do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭esharknz

I'm pretty sure that plenty of car rental companies won't let you take the car on the ferry, you'd need to pick a new car up at the other side. Another thing to think about. Was there in December/January, and noticed this very thing.

I paid a little extra to bring the excess right now. Didn't need it at all, however, third party insurance isn't compulsory in NZ, so all it takes is an uninsured person to hit you..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭tech

thanks for the advice guys, any more ideas on where to rent ??

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

Ya could always try picking up a banger from Turners Car Auctions www.turners.co.nz/ depending on how long you plan on staying it may work out cheaper! You dont need insurance just a warrent of fitness and if driving deisel Road Users Tax (which is a bit fiddly as you have to buy in advance in 1,000Km groups)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭tech

ok this is what I can seem to find out

I can hire a car from Avis, for about €585 for 12 days, but you cant take the car from Island to Island you catch the ferry and collect a different car at the other side!

the excess is only €300 so not so bad, the foot passenger rate is €35 P.P

I have found a car from arguscarhire.ie

Intermediate
    Hyundai Elantra or similar

aAvoid ALL Excess Charges for just €5.50 a day! Mondial Excess Insurance gives you complete peace of mind. Most companies charge an Excess, if you have a claim - typically you pay the first EUR 1,000

Our Policy covers:

Excess up to €3,000.00

Windows

Tyres

Undercarriage

Roof

Rental car key cover up to €550.00

Personal Possessions up to €300.00

I wish to purchase excess reimbursement insurance for €71.50
    I have read and understand the excess reimbursement terms and conditions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Rocket Man

Just a suggestion, what about trying an insurance company here in Ireland and take out excess insurance. I was looking at Axa insurance and the offer and annual policy for something like €55

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Caked Karen

i just done a quick check on www.carhire3000.ie for you and put in pick up at Auckland Airport and drop off at Christchurch airport for 2 weeks in July and the excess was 140 euro
    the car total was 397 euro which seems ok.

as far as i know they are good and insurance and everything is good with them so could be worth checking out...well i hope they are cause we've booked 3 rentals with them in america and one in new zealand already :)

Advertisement